Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

costasz
10-09-1999, 10:25 PM
Today on Car & driver TV ( TNT ).<br>Repeats tomorrow I think.<br>

Jim E.
10-10-1999, 01:22 PM
<i>: Today on Car & driver TV ( TNT ).<br>: Repeats tomorrow I think.<p></i>

mo
10-10-1999, 01:47 PM
<i>: : Today on Car & driver TV ( TNT ).<br>: : Repeats tomorrow I think.<p></i> They said it would appear at the Frankfurt Autoshow which was about a month ago which means their footage was out dated unless they had inside info. Could that engine be a modified 540i engine? It did say it will hava the 4.4 liter V8 but with 340 horses instead of 282 h.p. If this is true we are looking at a crap load of torque for the new M3 since it is already 324 lb-ft on the 540i. <p>Mo<br>

James N.
10-11-1999, 01:28 AM
Although for the most part I choose to be an innocent bystander on this subject, I have to point out one thing I noticed. In all of the spy photos I saw of the prototype e46 m3's, the only one with the different hood was supposed to be carrying a v8. Now that everyone has seen photos of the car on display at the Frankfurt show, it seems that this same hood made it to the production car. The rumor-mill said that BMW was extremely hush hush at the show about what type of options and engine would be offered in the car, and this might be one of the reasons why. My personal belief is that we will get the same engine as the Europeans and this engine will be an 3.4L, 340hp I-6, but who actually knows until BMW says so. There was also rumors of a Evo model in the later stages on the e46 m3 life-cycle that would sport the v8, and this could be another reason why the hood is shaped the way it is. Although, for BMW to take the time to swap a different engine, axle, and transmission into a car and try to cut costs by having only one hood seems kinda ridiculous. My reason for posting this message isn't to try and be "the" source for e46 m3 news, but rather to spark a conversation instead of a flame war. Lets be honest, most of us, except for maybe Bruce and a couple of others, talk out of our *** when it comes to this car, so lets all wait and see. I had planned on keeping my '99 m3, but with the v8, that'd be a hard decision. <p>James N.<br>99 m3/2

Owen
10-11-1999, 08:24 AM
<i>: Although for the most part I choose to be an innocent bystander on this subject, I have to point out one thing I noticed. In all of the spy photos I saw of the prototype e46 m3's, the only one with the different hood was supposed to be carrying a v8. Now that everyone has seen photos of the car on display at the Frankfurt show, it seems that this same hood made it to the production car. The rumor-mill said that BMW was extremely hush hush at the show about what type of options and engine would be offered in the car, and this might be one of the reasons why. My personal belief is that we will get the same engine as the Europeans and this engine will be an 3.4L, 340hp I-6, but who actually knows until BMW says so. There was also rumors of a Evo model in the later stages on the e46 m3 life-cycle that would sport the v8, and this could be another reason why the hood is shaped the way it is. Although, for BMW to take the time to swap a different engine, axle, and transmission into a car and try to cut costs by having only one hood seems kinda ridiculous. My reason for posting this message isn't to try and be "the" source for e46 m3 news, but rather to spark a conversation instead of a flame war. Lets be honest, most of us, except for maybe Bruce and a couple of others, talk out of our *** when it comes to this car, so lets all wait and see. I had planned on keeping my '99 m3, but with the v8, that'd be a hard decision. <p>: James N.<br>: 99 m3/2<p></i>

Owen
10-11-1999, 08:30 AM
<<br>Hi James,<p> I'mliving in Frankfurt, went to the motor show and saw the M3<p> as we see the car is how it will go into production....<p> I drive a 328Cab here in germany, my lease is up in July 00. I've been told by my dealer, BMW Glöckler in Frankfurt I can order the e46 m3 January 00... for March, April deleivery, maybe earlier.<p> will have i6 engine, 3.4 litres. Later a V8 MAY be offered, it's a matter of costs, in Germany the M5 is 140,000Dm, the V8 M3 will be VERY close to this price....<p> that is bad news for BMW, people here would not buy it, as it is said the e39 is a better built car, bigger heavier, which is better for German Autobahns, makes sense when your driving down to Munich at 210km/h<p>just to inform you on the info I've been told from BMW here.<p>At prsent you cannot order any e36 m3 in Germany, including the Cab, so the e46 is coming sooner than alot of people think.<p>I've been told that the paint owrk as seen at the motor show will be a VERY expensive option on the e46......<p>regds<p>Owen>

DC
10-11-1999, 10:13 AM
<i>: Although for the most part I choose to be an innocent bystander on this subject, I have to point out one thing I noticed. In all of the spy photos I saw of the prototype e46 m3's, the only one with the different hood was supposed to be carrying a v8. Now that everyone has seen photos of the car on display at the Frankfurt show, it seems that this same hood made it to the production car. The rumor-mill said that BMW was extremely hush hush at the show about what type of options and engine would be offered in the car, and this might be one of the reasons why. My personal belief is that we will get the same engine as the Europeans and this engine will be an 3.4L, 340hp I-6, but who actually knows until BMW says so. There was also rumors of a Evo model in the later stages on the e46 m3 life-cycle that would sport the v8, and this could be another reason why the hood is shaped the way it is. Although, for BMW to take the time to swap a different engine, axle, and transmission into a car and try to cut costs by having only one hood seems kinda ridiculous. My reason for posting this message isn't to try and be "the" source for e46 m3 news, but rather to spark a conversation instead of a flame war. Lets be honest, most of us, except for maybe Bruce and a couple of others, talk out of our *** when it comes to this car, so lets all wait and see. I had planned on keeping my '99 m3, but with the v8, that'd be a hard decision. <p>: James N.<br>: 99 m3/2<p></i>

Ray Koch
10-11-1999, 12:21 PM
<i>: The rumor-mill said that BMW was extremely hush hush at the show about what type of options and engine would be offered in the car, and this might be one of the reasons why. My personal belief is that we will get the same engine as the Europeans and this engine will be an 3.4L, 340hp I-6, but who actually knows until BMW says so.</i><p>The BMW reps at the show stated that the engine would be an inline-6. That's all that they would say, nothing about specs or other possible engines. The car was just there to look at. I'm guessing that they used it to solicit comments about styling before they made final decisions.<p><i>There was also rumors of a Evo model in the later stages on the e46 m3 life-cycle that would sport the v8, and this could be another reason why the hood is shaped the way it is. Although, for BMW to take the time to swap a different engine, axle, and transmission into a car and try to cut costs by having only one hood seems kinda ridiculous. </i><p>The hood may just be cosmetic, I wouldn't read too much into it. However I believe the V8 is a definite possiblity for later release. The M3 *has* to be the best all-around car in its class in acceleration, handling, and braking. If it isn't it will quickly lose its following. Audi definiatly wants to be a player with its S4 and RS4. M-B is getting a whole lot more serious about their AMG cars. And VW is testing a potential M3 killer. I've heard that the 3.4L I6 is just about maxed out. If that's true (I don't know if it is) then BMW will have little choice than to use the V8 without resorting to forced induction or a major redesign.<p><i>My reason for posting this message isn't to try and be "the" source for e46 m3 news, but rather to spark a conversation instead of a flame war. Lets be honest, most of us, except for maybe Bruce and a couple of others, talk out of our *** when it comes to this car, so lets all wait and see. I had planned on keeping my '99 m3, but with the v8, that'd be a hard decision. </i><p>I'll consider everything speculation until BMW makes offical statements. Bruce seems to have a good source but there are others who just post wild claims. Conversation is good since the goal of this forum as I see it is to express what we want the new M3 to be (BMW does monitor this board.) I won't make a decision until I get behind the wheel of the real production car. If it proves BMW slogan true, and it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" I'll buy two (autox and a daily driver.) But if the new M3 can't keep up with a slightly modified S4, then maybe its time for a Porsche.<p><p>: James N.<br>: 99 m3/2<p></i>

James N.
10-11-1999, 04:11 PM
<i>: <<br>: Hi James,<p>: I'mliving in Frankfurt, went to the motor show and saw the M3<p>: as we see the car is how it will go into production....<p>: I drive a 328Cab here in germany, my lease is up in July 00. I've been told by my dealer, BMW Glöckler in Frankfurt I can order the e46 m3 January 00... for March, April deleivery, maybe earlier.<p>: will have i6 engine, 3.4 litres. Later a V8 MAY be offered, it's a matter of costs, in Germany the M5 is 140,000Dm, the V8 M3 will be VERY close to this price....<p>: that is bad news for BMW, people here would not buy it, as it is said the e39 is a better built car, bigger heavier, which is better for German Autobahns, makes sense when your driving down to Munich at 210km/h<p>: just to inform you on the info I've been told from BMW here.<p>: At prsent you cannot order any e36 m3 in Germany, including the Cab, so the e46 is coming sooner than alot of people think.<p>: I've been told that the paint owrk as seen at the motor show will be a VERY expensive option on the e46......<p>: regds<p>: Owen><p></i>

Owen
10-12-1999, 01:27 AM
<i>: : <<br>: : Hi James,<p>: : I'mliving in Frankfurt, went to the motor show and saw the M3<p>: : as we see the car is how it will go into production....<p>: : I drive a 328Cab here in germany, my lease is up in July 00. I've been told by my dealer, BMW Glöckler in Frankfurt I can order the e46 m3 January 00... for March, April deleivery, maybe earlier.<p>: : will have i6 engine, 3.4 litres. Later a V8 MAY be offered, it's a matter of costs, in Germany the M5 is 140,000Dm, the V8 M3 will be VERY close to this price....<p>: : that is bad news for BMW, people here would not buy it, as it is said the e39 is a better built car, bigger heavier, which is better for German Autobahns, makes sense when your driving down to Munich at 210km/h<p>: : just to inform you on the info I've been told from BMW here.<p>: : At prsent you cannot order any e36 m3 in Germany, including the Cab, so the e46 is coming sooner than alot of people think.<p>: : I've been told that the paint owrk as seen at the motor show will be a VERY expensive option on the e46......<p>: : regds<p>: : Owen><p></i><p><br>no problem....<p> I'll be seeing my dealer this week, as a good customer of his he does tell me when i can order...<p> I've sold 3 M3 cabs for him, he's one of the few very good english speaking dealers in Frankfurt (BMW), so i brought alot of friends there and they bought m3's of him....<p> I'll have more info for you in a couple of days....

Jason L2
10-12-1999, 12:46 PM
You expect us to believe you on the 4.4l V-8 thing when you don't know what network C&D airs on?? HA! It's TNN, not TNT!

James N.
10-13-1999, 02:49 AM
I have helped sell a couple of cars for my dealer over the years, but I may need your help in the near future. Well, not exactly near future, but probably next spring sometime in purchasing a car for Europe. I'm thinking about the 330d because I still have trouble stomaching how much gasoline prices cost in Europe whenever I visit. The car will be kept in France, but I figure if you are going to buy a BMW then why not get it from the source. If you wouldn't mind posting the name of your dealer that would be great. Who knows, I may decide to get a Citroen or some other French car because the French don't seem to like Germans or Americans, but the 330d looks like a winner to me. Thanks Owen.<p>James N.<br>99 m3/2

costasz
10-13-1999, 11:12 AM
-

Owen
10-14-1999, 02:35 AM
<i>: I have helped sell a couple of cars for my dealer over the years, but I may need your help in the near future. Well, not exactly near future, but probably next spring sometime in purchasing a car for Europe. I'm thinking about the 330d because I still have trouble stomaching how much gasoline prices cost in Europe whenever I visit. The car will be kept in France, but I figure if you are going to buy a BMW then why not get it from the source. If you wouldn't mind posting the name of your dealer that would be great. Who knows, I may decide to get a Citroen or some other French car because the French don't seem to like Germans or Americans, but the 330d looks like a winner to me. Thanks Owen.<p>: James N.<br>: 99 m3/2<p></i>Hello james,<p> well I've heard the 330d is a hell of a machine, you would not tell the difference between this an a 323i (untuned)... I will test drive the 740d in 2 weeks.<p> I have just put a blind order down fdor my e46 m3. My name is in Munich now, but I will be given a deleivery date in January 2000. The E46 M3 will be available september 2000 in Germany, so look at 2001 in US. That is offical.<p> my dealer<p> BMW Glöckler<br> Galluswarte, Frankfurt<br> <br> Agent:<br> Herr Rethelford (speaks very good english)<p> 00 49 69 758 980<p> no brochures available yet, but the e46m3 WILL have SMG available, the M5 in it's current form will not.<p> The benzin ebgines will be upgraded, anyone who buys a 328 now is a fool. it will be upgraded to a 3 litre, with approx 230hp, up from 193....<p>my car with SMG will be between 106-110,000DM, that is also official.<p>good luck in France, I lived there for 3 years, the French drive French cars 'cos they believe every thing French is the best. I've seen 2 grown men nearly fight at a dinner party becuase one thought the Renault 25 was better than a BMW 7 series. Strange people but the most beautiful country in Europe . IMHO<p>well you can allways drop me a private mail if you wish. I've along wait for the M3, but this 740d intrigues me. 560nm of torque, the M5 has "only" 500.<p>as I'll be starting a family next year, it maybe a worthwhile option.<p>BTW, there will be NO sedan M3, convertible yes, but I've no idea when, I reckon late 2001 , for the next Frankfurt Motor show, for 2002 launch, so late 2002 for USA.<p>Hope I helped ,<p>see ya <p>Owen

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index