Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

hope so
10-14-1999, 02:06 PM
<i><br></i>no v8

Faris
10-14-1999, 02:35 PM
<i>: <br>Yeah!! Hope so.<br>Especially I like the glossy metal satin chrome finish.<br>Also, what about the flared wheel arches and the hood "dome".... looks like yet another set of body pannels for the 3 series (sedan, coupe, and M)!!<br>Will BMW actually produce that same concept car they showed, or was it just a dream that won't make it a reality, and they would just use the current Ci body pannels and colors?<p>----<br>"<br>This glossy metal, satin chrome finished show car is the M version of the new 3-series coupe. As illustrated in this show car, the next generation M3's exterior features flared wheel arches, a power dome in the engine compartment lid, four tailpipes, and special extra-wide tires. BMW says the new M3 will once again be powered by a 6-cylinder high-performance engine. Expect this concept to be produced sometime in 2000.<br>"<p></i>

hwj
10-14-1999, 05:03 PM
<i>Will BMW actually produce that same concept car they showed, or was it just a dream that won't make it a reality, and they would just use the current Ci body pannels and colors?</i><p>Personally, I wouldn't mind them using most of the E46 coupe's body panels, and just utilizing special front, side, and rear skirts like they did with the E36 M3. The E46 coupes are pretty darn good looking already, and if this helps keep the cost of the E46 M3 down, then I'm all for it! I'm pretty neutral about the hood "power bulge" -- doesn't do much for me.<p>I'd like to see some M3-unique colors, certainly. Bring back Techno Violet! (Yeah, yeah, I know I'm in a minority.)<p>As for what other differences the real M3 might have over the concept, I'd bet money that the front fender decorations (seen <a href="http://members.aol.com/mye46/iaa/m3mirror.jpg">here</a> on the show car) will either go away or will be greatly simplified to reduce cost.

Faris
10-14-1999, 05:21 PM
<i>: <p>I hope not, I like the front fender decorations! ;-)<br>Also, notice the hood shape is more "pointy" or triangular center section like the 5er (besides having the power bulge), where as the regular Ci has fairly straight lines. Make sense?<p></i>

M3 dreamer
10-14-1999, 09:33 PM
How about Avis Blue? Now, thats a nice color!

Mark G
10-14-1999, 11:38 PM
<i><br>: Personally, I wouldn't mind them using most of the E46 coupe's body panels, and just utilizing special front, side, and rear skirts like they did with the E36 M3. The E46 coupes are pretty darn good looking already, and if this helps keep the cost of the E46 M3 down, then I'm all for it! I'm pretty neutral about the hood "power bulge" -- doesn't do much for me.<br></i><p>Sorry, I just don't agree, and it seems like (thankfully) most everybody else doesn't either. I think the E46 coupe is REALLY bland, but I've been wowed with the M3 show car. I hope they produce it as is, looks wise (except for the wheels). No offense, but if you want an E46 coupe with upgraded ground effects, just get an E46 coupe with an aftermarket kit. There will be a 3.0L engine available next summer for those who prefer tame styling with improved performance over the 2.8.<p>I think the hood bulge is very agressive and and adds a lot to the car. Ditto for the fender flares. <p>The good news is that the showcar, by all accounts is going to be almost identical to the actual production car.<p>Mark G

hwj
10-15-1999, 10:49 AM
<i>No offense, but if you want an E46 coupe with upgraded ground effects, just get an E46 coupe with an aftermarket kit. There will be a 3.0L engine available next summer for those who prefer tame styling with improved performance over the 2.8.</i><p>Whoa there, champ. While I said I wouldn't <i>mind</i> them slightly tweaking the E46 coupe body for the M3, that doesn't mean that's what I'd prefer. Like everyone else, I think the show car was an absolute knockout -- no contest versus the current coupe. I wouldn't buy a 330Ci -- there are more desirable coupes on the market for $37-40K.<p><i>I think the hood bulge is very agressive and and adds a lot to the car.</i><p>Maybe. I'm just worried about the M3's styling turning into some sort of overwrought, American-muscle-car caricature with scoops or cowl induction. As long as it's subtle, I'm fine with it.<p><i>Ditto for the fender flares.</i><p>The fender flares are more of a case of form following function -- the M3's shoes wouldn't fit inside the body without them. But I agree the show car has great fenders. (Although, historically, when show cars of any make with massive fender flares eventually turn into production cars, their designers tend to tone them down. We'll see if BMW is an exeption to this.)<p><i>The good news is that the showcar, by all accounts is going to be almost identical to the actual production car.</i><p>What's your source? AFAIK, all BMW officials said when asked to comment on the show car was "It's just a design study" and made no promises about the production car. Sure, the test mules we've all seen in the auto mags look pretty similar to the show car, but test mules have fooled us before.<br>

Ray Koch
10-15-1999, 12:55 PM
<i>I think the hood bulge is very agressive and and adds a lot to the car.<p>: Maybe. I'm just worried about the M3's styling turning into some sort of overwrought, American-muscle-car caricature with scoops or cowl induction. As long as it's subtle, I'm fine with it.</i><p>I don't think you have to worry. They sure got the E36 M3 right, not flashy but definitatly more aggressive. The E46 M3 should follow the same path.<p><i>: The good news is that the showcar, by all accounts is going to be almost identical to the actual production car.<p>: What's your source? AFAIK, all BMW officials said when asked to comment on the show car was "It's just a design study" and made no promises about the production car. Sure, the test mules we've all seen in the auto mags look pretty similar to the show car, but test mules have fooled us before.<br></i><p>Although its not THE production model, it was much, much more than a concept car. BMW did tell the automotive press that the real car would be VERY much like it in styling which is exactly what Road & Track published. I think it was a final check on the styling to make sure they got it right. Considering that it will be out next Spring in Europe this makes a lot of sense. I pretty much agree with everyone, with a few minor execptions I thought it was stunning. Just change those wheels and make the side stills a little more aggresive. And I hope they change the tail lights on all the E46's to something less Honda like.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index