Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rick Key
10-18-1999, 02:56 PM
With the wagon chassis actually being stiffer than the sedans anyone willing to go the wagon route instead of the sedan? From what I have seen/read/heard that seems to be a very real possibility ... initially an M3 Coupe followed by cabriolet and wagon (sedan later???). Possibly an Evo version after a couple of years with a 340-360hp V8 (not much more power??? can you say torque?). An M version of the ti with a smaller displacement 6 (2.5L) also seems like a real possibility in or around 2002. Does this scenario square with what you have seen/read/heard???<p>Rick Key <br>95 ///M3 JimC ///Motivated

scuderia
10-18-1999, 03:02 PM
<i>: With the wagon chassis actually being stiffer than the sedans anyone willing to go the wagon route instead of the sedan? From what I have seen/read/heard that seems to be a very real possibility ... initially an M3 Coupe followed by cabriolet and wagon (sedan later???). Possibly an Evo version after a couple of years with a 340-360hp V8 (not much more power??? can you say torque?). An M version of the ti with a smaller displacement 6 (2.5L) also seems like a real possibility in or around 2002. Does this scenario square with what you have seen/read/heard???<p>: Rick Key <br>: 95 ///M3 JimC ///Motivated<p></i>

Ray Koch
10-18-1999, 03:20 PM
//M Touring in the US? Possible, but not likely. I don't have any problem with it but I don't think there would be a large enough market to support it. ///M performance with wagon utility (or stealth if you prefer) is not a combination I think a lot of people are looking for. In fact, I really don't see any 3-series touring cars selling that well in the US. The SUV/minivan craze has made the wagon market all but non-existant. Let's see how well the Avant sells.

Bruce
10-18-1999, 04:17 PM
<i>: With the wagon chassis actually being stiffer than the sedans anyone willing to go the wagon route instead of the sedan? From what I have seen/read/heard that seems to be a very real possibility ... initially an M3 Coupe followed by cabriolet and wagon (sedan later???). Possibly an Evo version after a couple of years with a 340-360hp V8 (not much more power??? can you say torque?). An M version of the ti with a smaller displacement 6 (2.5L) also seems like a real possibility in or around 2002. Does this scenario square with what you have seen/read/heard???</i><p>no V8, no V8, no V8 in the E46 body<p>I dunno what the engine for the M compact will be...let me do some digging, I was interested in that model before also

Rick Key
10-19-1999, 11:27 AM
<i>: : With the wagon chassis actually being stiffer than the sedans anyone willing to go the wagon route instead of the sedan? From what I have seen/read/heard that seems to be a very real possibility ... initially an M3 Coupe followed by cabriolet and wagon (sedan later???). Possibly an Evo version after a couple of years with a 340-360hp V8 (not much more power??? can you say torque?). An M version of the ti with a smaller displacement 6 (2.5L) also seems like a real possibility in or around 2002. Does this scenario square with what you have seen/read/heard???<p>: no V8, no V8, no V8 in the E46 body<p></i>For now I agree, there may be no current plans ... but we always have contingency plans right! If the E46 model hangs around for almost 10 years like the E36 did I would not discount those rumors so quickly. The possibilities of a V8 in say 2004-5 time frame are very real. Of course BMW will not be announcing that (or even hinting at that) for fear that customers may decide to wait for a V8 model and not buy the I6 model.<p><br>: I dunno what the engine for the M compact will be...let me do some digging, I was interested in that model before also<p></i>This could be the real pick of the litter eh? Let me (us) know what you find out!<p>

Jonathan V.
10-19-1999, 07:48 PM
<i>: With the wagon chassis actually being stiffer than the sedans anyone willing to go the wagon route instead of the sedan? From what I have seen/read/heard that seems to be a very real possibility ... initially an M3 Coupe followed by cabriolet and wagon (sedan later???). Possibly an Evo version after a couple of years with a 340-360hp V8 (not much more power??? can you say torque?). An M version of the ti with a smaller displacement 6 (2.5L) also seems like a real possibility in or around 2002. Does this scenario square with what you have seen/read/heard???<p>: Rick Key <br>: 95 ///M3 JimC ///Motivated<p></i>

collyer
10-19-1999, 10:44 PM
<p></i>Uhh, I don't think so. The US won't see the RS4 Audi, maybe Europe & GB, but don't hold your breath on EITHER wagon (touring) car making to the USA. Ever see an M5 touring? Not in the US! See the RS2, EVER? Don't get me wrong, an E46 M3T would be IT, as far as I'm concerned - talk about sport\utility!!!!!!!! The US track record on buying wagons (tourings) is bad, unless you are GMC. How about an M3 Touring with the 4.4V8 from the 540is? Auto or 6-speed-with that much torque,<br>mom never drove so fast.....

NB
10-20-1999, 10:01 AM
The S4 Avant is slated to make it next year, but the only way you'll see an RS4 here is if it's a gray-market import, or if BMW really does bring a V8 version of the M3 in limited production. Check the S4 forum on a4.org. It's been disussed there as well. And people n here will tell you that I'm a VW/Audi addict, so this is pretty much an unbiased fact.<p>

Joergen
10-22-1999, 09:06 AM
If it had the 4,4 liter V8 from the 540/740 it would not have a M-engine and would not be a M3 it would be a 340.<br>regarding M3 Touring, unfortunately we will never see it. Neither will there be a RS4 sedan. You said "maybe Europe and UK" will see the RS4...we will see it for sure!<p>Joergen<p><br><i><br>: Uhh, I don't think so. The US won't see the RS4 Audi, maybe Europe & GB, but don't hold your breath on EITHER wagon (touring) car making to the USA. Ever see an M5 touring? Not in the US! See the RS2, EVER? Don't get me wrong, an E46 M3T would be IT, as far as I'm concerned - talk about sport\utility!!!!!!!! The US track record on buying wagons (tourings) is bad, unless you are GMC. How about an M3 Touring with the 4.4V8 from the 540is? Auto or 6-speed-with that much torque,<br>: mom never drove so fast.....<p></i>

Rick Key
10-22-1999, 10:59 AM
I think the 4.4l with similar mods as the 5.0l M5 motor would be neat choice for an M3 Evo or Touring or something. No reason BMW cant put the M treatment to the 4.4l leaving displacement alone...maybe even drop it to a 4.0 liter!<p><i>: If it had the 4,4 liter V8 from the 540/740 it would not have a M-engine and would not be a M3 it would be a 340.<br>: regarding M3 Touring, unfortunately we will never see it. Neither will there be a RS4 sedan. You said "maybe Europe and UK" will see the RS4...we will see it for sure!<p>: Joergen<p>: <br>: <br>: : Uhh, I don't think so. The US won't see the RS4 Audi, maybe Europe & GB, but don't hold your breath on EITHER wagon (touring) car making to the USA. Ever see an M5 touring? Not in the US! See the RS2, EVER? Don't get me wrong, an E46 M3T would be IT, as far as I'm concerned - talk about sport\utility!!!!!!!! The US track record on buying wagons (tourings) is bad, unless you are GMC. How about an M3 Touring with the 4.4V8 from the 540is? Auto or 6-speed-with that much torque,<br>: : mom never drove so fast.....<p></i>

KJK
10-22-1999, 11:49 AM
<i>: //M Touring in the US? Possible, but not likely. I don't have any problem with it but I don't think there would be a large enough market to support it. ///M performance with wagon utility (or stealth if you prefer) is not a combination I think a lot of people are looking for. In fact, I really don't see any 3-series touring cars selling that well in the US. The SUV/minivan craze has made the wagon market all but non-existant. Let's see how well the Avant sells.<p></i>http://www.bmwm5.com/owners.htm

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index