Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Randy G
10-27-1999, 09:38 PM
I don't understand why BMW wouldn't put the SMG in US cars. The guy I talked to at Peter Pan BMW said that they give us cars with less power to avoid the gas-guzzler tax. I can understand that, but surely a car with SMG would get just as good mileage as a manual car, because it should be able to shift more efficiently. Right? Do they think we're all Cadillac drivers at heart, or what? Assuming it actually works (which it may not), I would be happy to pay extra for SMG: faster shifting, no missed shifts, and I wouldn't have to do *all* the driving on long trips, as I do now.

J
10-27-1999, 10:35 PM
<i>: I don't understand why BMW wouldn't put the SMG in US cars. The guy I talked to at Peter Pan BMW said that they give us cars with less power to avoid the gas-guzzler tax. I can understand that, but surely a car with SMG would get just as good mileage as a manual car, because it should be able to shift more efficiently. Right? Do they think we're all Cadillac drivers at heart, or what? Assuming it actually works (which it may not), I would be happy to pay extra for SMG: faster shifting, no missed shifts, and I wouldn't have to do *all* the driving on long trips, as I do now.<p></i>

J
10-27-1999, 10:37 PM
<i>: : I don't understand why BMW wouldn't put the SMG in US cars. The guy I talked to at Peter Pan BMW said that they give us cars with less power to avoid the gas-guzzler tax. I can understand that, but surely a car with SMG would get just as good mileage as a manual car, because it should be able to shift more efficiently. Right? Do they think we're all Cadillac drivers at heart, or what? Assuming it actually works (which it may not), I would be happy to pay extra for SMG: faster shifting, no missed shifts, and I wouldn't have to do *all* the driving on long trips, as I do now.<p></i>

PeteS
10-28-1999, 12:35 AM
<i>: I don't understand why BMW wouldn't put the SMG in US cars. The guy I talked to at Peter Pan BMW said that they give us cars with less power to avoid the gas-guzzler tax. I can understand that, but surely a car with SMG would get just as good mileage as a manual car, because it should be able to shift more efficiently. Right? Do they think we're all Cadillac drivers at heart, or what? Assuming it actually works (which it may not), I would be happy to pay extra for SMG: faster shifting, no missed shifts, and I wouldn't have to do *all* the driving on long trips, as I do now.<p></i><p>SMG was not a great success in Europe; it didn't work terribly smoothly. It takes time to learn to use it and I suspect many drivers that try it on a test drive were disappointed because they didn't know how to use it properly. I understand BMW is reworking the system. I'd guess that this and cost are the main reasons we have not seen it in the US yet.<p>

... (more) Lorenz
10-28-1999, 08:58 PM
<br>For just one second, let's assume that your utterly ludicrous statement were in fact true: If all Americans truly could not shift gears, then wouldn't there be an <b>extra</b> incentive to bring the SMG transmission to the US? You know, so that people wouldn't have to shift?<p>You should be more careful when posting things to as wide an audience as this board. You have exposed your ignorance and complete lack of ability to reason logically, embarrassing yourself in front of millions of people...<p>Lorenz<br>

J
10-29-1999, 12:41 AM
Americans don't care about sophisticated transmissions equipped w/hyrdraulic clutches.<p>Americans don't care about utterly fast cars either.<p>This isn't germany.<p>All they care about is their 10L V10 SUVs to get to the malls, soccer games..<p>And please spare us the details of how you're from Germany, and passed your driving test here with flying colors...Thanks

AC
10-29-1999, 11:26 AM
You can't compare US with Europe. People here in the US think different about cars and technology used in cars. Just a example, in US everybody thinks engines with less than 3.0L are small, in Europe everybody thinks engines bigger than 2.0L are big...etc.<br>So SMG, 6 speed..etc no one really cares excepts for some enthusiast's, but 90% of the population in US want big cars with automatic. Even the gasoline in the US sucks (sorry but is true)...<br>US engine technology is still 10 years behind those from Japan and Europe...but that's a choice they made...so cars can be build cheap and the engines maintained easy. BMW, Mercedes, Porsche...etc. are great cars for Europe but in US there are actually waste of money if you would just judge by technology aspects. So those who buy BMW, Mercedes, Porsche...buy them for a reason !!!! <br>The point is please don't compare US drivers and European drivers, they think different and they both have good points based on wher there are coming from.<br>AC<p><br><i>: Americans don't care about sophisticated transmissions equipped w/hyrdraulic clutches.<p>: Americans don't care about utterly fast cars either.<p>: This isn't germany.<p>: All they care about is their 10L V10 SUVs to get to the malls, soccer games..<p>: And please spare us the details of how you're from Germany, and passed your driving test here with flying colors...Thanks<p></i>

Jason L2
10-29-1999, 02:44 PM
Hey, speak for yourself! I don't miss shifts anyway! ;-)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index