Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kareem
11-02-1999, 12:18 PM
The new Roundel has the specs on the new M3, it only has .2 liter increase in displacement and only 20hp increase over the old euro M3, sorry about that for all of you who are wating to pay over 50k for it, I got a 99 e36 or 38,000, It looks better than the new style too.

IT's OVER
11-02-1999, 12:31 PM
<i>: The new Roundel has the specs on the new M3, it only has .2 liter increase in displacement and only 20hp increase over the old euro M3, sorry about that for all of you who are wating to pay over 50k for it, I got a 99 e36 or 38,000, It looks better than the new style too.<p><p>If this is true. I am not going to buy the new M3. Why spend 50k for 20 more HP. Time to look at the S4. For 40K I can put a chip in and get 300HP. That's the same price as a 328IC!<p>BMW better offer more for that price!<p>Otherwise it's OVER, and FINISHED!<p>Bruce, any help on this issue.<p></i>

Bryan
11-02-1999, 12:33 PM
Roundel does NOT have any SPECS for the E46 M3. They have about as much info as the rest of us. But if you do want to go on what they said, did you see the part about the new M3 having a 0-60 time under 5 seconds due to the negligable weight increase!! YEAH BABY!! And, once again, sorry for you since the E36 body is outdated now. (Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, but then again so is the 1965 Mustang.)

Cool-M3
11-02-1999, 01:14 PM
"outdated" is what the marketing departmant is saying ! They have to make money, get it ! A new model must be sold ....<br>Many people (you included) think each time a new model comes out the previous model is 'outdated'...what are you a car sales man ?<br>When comparing the E36 to todays 'new ' cars the E36 still looks young and 'much better' . <br>Cool-M3<p><p><i>: Roundel does NOT have any SPECS for the E46 M3. They have about as much info as the rest of us. But if you do want to go on what they said, did you see the part about the new M3 having a 0-60 time under 5 seconds due to the negligable weight increase!! YEAH BABY!! And, once again, sorry for you since the E36 body is outdated now. (Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, but then again so is the 1965 Mustang.)<p></i>

KJK
11-02-1999, 01:26 PM
<i>: : The new Roundel has the specs on the new M3, it only has .2 liter increase in displacement and only 20hp increase over the old euro M3, sorry about that for all of you who are wating to pay over 50k for it, I got a 99 e36 or 38,000, It looks better than the new style too.<p><br>: If this is true. I am not going to buy the new M3. Why spend 50k for 20 more HP. Time to look at the S4. For 40K I can put a chip in and get 300HP. That's the same price as a 328IC!<p>: BMW better offer more for that price!<p>: Otherwise it's OVER, and FINISHED!<p>: Bruce, any help on this issue.<p></i>If you are in the States you are getting 120 more horsepower and very likely a lot more torque. Let's all just wait and see. Also, no one knows the real price yet.

jps
11-02-1999, 01:38 PM
I might have a harder time justifying switching to a new one. It is a 100 hp increase over a U.S. spec M3 which makes the decision less difficult. The price though, if correct, does seem to make it less of a bargain than the E36 M3 was.

Kareem
11-02-1999, 03:35 PM
flawed, it is a car for a girl, sorry<p><p><i>: Roundel does NOT have any SPECS for the E46 M3. They have about as much info as the rest of us. But if you do want to go on what they said, did you see the part about the new M3 having a 0-60 time under 5 seconds due to the negligable weight increase!! YEAH BABY!! And, once again, sorry for you since the E36 body is outdated now. (Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, but then again so is the 1965 Mustang.)<p></i><br>

Major Havoc
11-02-1999, 04:30 PM
<i>: <br>: : <br></i>

seerightthroughyou
11-02-1999, 04:55 PM
<i>: flawed, it is a car for a girl, sorry<p>Kareem, you're bitterness is very revealing. It sounds as if you bought the '99 M3 without Knowing an all new and EVEN MORE bad-*** replacement was right around the corner. <p>Stop crying. You have a fabulous car. Sooner or later you will get tired of telling anyone who will listen that "mine is better that the new one, I'd rather have mine". You may even come to see how pathetic you sound.

Val
11-02-1999, 05:10 PM
Hi I just came across this forum, it is very interesting to see you guys speculate as to the power and the price of the new M3. No matter what you think though it will not be a V8, at least not in the e46 body. Why not? Plain and simple - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It would be too expensive to sell it, and no one in the US would pay this much money for it (almost no one). I am from Europe and I live in the US now and what I can tell you for sure is that the cars back home, even the European cars, are much, much, much more expensive than they are in the US. If BMW decided to put in a V8 in the e46 M3, the company would have to charge for it almost as much as for an M5. How do I know this? Well, the BMW officials in Germany estimate that the e46 M3 will cost approximately DM110,000, which at current exchange rates would translate into around $60,000. So as you can see the V8 would have to put the price higher, thus getting very close to the M5. Further, I speculate that the e46 M3 will not be that much more expensive than the current one. No one will pay for the e46 M3 50+K. Not in America. Now, I know that I said that the price for the new M3 in Europe will be around $60,000 (that is if this DM/$ exchange rate holds) , but this is still more less the price for the current e36 M3 in Europe, so as you can see there is not that much difference. Let me give you another example - the new Audi S4. In the US the MSRP is somewhere $40-45K. In Europe the S4 starts at $55K(and that is if you are lucky). <br>Oh, and another thing for those with the e36 M3s who want to put the e46M3 down, please relax your cars are great, and you don't have to try to make yourselves feel better about your current M3 by putting the new one down. Though I can tell you this, the new M3 will most likely outperform the e36 M3, and if it did not I would be very disappointed in BMW's work. The way it goes is, the next model should be better than its predecessor, and I doubt that BMW and Motorsport engineers and designers don't think along the lines of constant improvement.<br>

Kareem's Dad
11-02-1999, 05:47 PM
<i>: : flawed, it is a car for a girl, sorry<p>: Kareem, you're bitterness is very revealing. It sounds as if you bought the '99 M3 without Knowing an all new and EVEN MORE bad-*** replacement was right around the corner. <p>: Stop crying. You have a fabulous car. Sooner or later you will get tired of telling anyone who will listen that "mine is better that the new one, I'd rather have mine". You may even come to see how pathetic you sound.<p></i>

M3 boy
11-02-1999, 06:56 PM
<i>: Hi I just came across this forum, it is very interesting to see you guys speculate as to the power and the price of the new M3. No matter what you think though it will not be a V8, at least not in the e46 body. Why not? Plain and simple - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It would be too expensive to sell it, and no one in the US would pay this much money for it (almost no one). I am from Europe and I live in the US now and what I can tell you for sure is that the cars back home, even the European cars, are much, much, much more expensive than they are in the US. If BMW decided to put in a V8 in the e46 M3, the company would have to charge for it almost as much as for an M5. How do I know this? Well, the BMW officials in Germany estimate that the e46 M3 will cost approximately DM110,000, which at current exchange rates would translate into around $60,000. So as you can see the V8 would have to put the price higher, thus getting very close to the M5. Further, I speculate that the e46 M3 will not be that much more expensive than the current one. No one will pay for the e46 M3 50+K. Not in America. Now, I know that I said that the price for the new M3 in Europe will be around $60,000 (that is if this DM/$ exchange rate holds) , but this is still more less the price for the current e36 M3 in Europe, so as you can see there is not that much difference. Let me give you another example - the new Audi S4. In the US the MSRP is somewhere $40-45K. In Europe the S4 starts at $55K(and that is if you are lucky). <br>: Oh, and another thing for those with the e36 M3s who want to put the e46M3 down, please relax your cars are great, and you don't have to try to make yourselves feel better about your current M3 by putting the new one down. Though I can tell you this, the new M3 will most likely outperform the e36 M3, and if it did not I would be very disappointed in BMW's work. The way it goes is, the next model should be better than its predecessor, and I doubt that BMW and Motorsport engineers and designers don't think along the lines of constant improvement.<p></i>

JG
11-03-1999, 12:40 AM
its just played out, not as bad as Corvettes (C4's and C5's)- but its bad-especially in NY, I myself know 3 people with them- and they are all silver.<br>It doesn't matter, its still a great car.<p>JG<br>Former owner 95 Daytona Violet M3 (luxury)<br>Former owner 99 Corvette 6speed (don't ask)<br>Currently have a 00 Mcoupe

jeffw
11-03-1999, 11:45 AM
<i>: flawed, it is a car for a girl, sorry<br>------<p>And, once again, sorry for you since the E36 body is outdated now. (Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car, but then again so is the 1965 Mustang.)<br></i><p>Change isn't always good. The E36 is a perfect design (to me). They shouldn't have changed it so much. <p>E46 has a sort of "buggy" look to it that I just can't warm up to, much as I've tried. I can't stand it's rearend. $0.02<p>Oh, and all you kiddies calling E36 enthusiasts bitter... talk to us again after you slap down over $50,000 for a 3 series BMW.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index