Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bryan
11-02-1999, 12:53 PM
The latest Roundel (with the E46 M3 info) mentioned that the side grills, as seen on the Test Car at Frankfurt, may not be good here in the states. What are they talking about? Are we NOT allowed to have side grills for some reason? That doesn't seem to make any sense. Or were they just saying that we wouldn't like the look of them? Don't other cars have similar side grills? Any info is much appreciated.

Erik Rutberg
11-02-1999, 02:41 PM
The Z3 was supposed to have working side grills, but US regulators think we might choke on carbon monoxide. The side grills will probably be there, but they won't be fuctional.<p>Erik Rutberg<br>1998 540i sport 6-sp<br>1997 318ti sport<br>1985 735iA<br>1973 2002<br>and looking for a good coupe

(more) Lorenz
11-03-1999, 03:39 AM
<br><i>: The Z3 was supposed to have working side grills, but US regulators think we might choke on carbon monoxide. The side grills will probably be there, but they won't be fuctional.<br></i><p><br>Wow, I didn't know the side grills on the Z3 aren't real, i.e. working grills. Is that on all Z3's worldwide, or only on the US version? I obviously haven't looked at a Z3 up close...<p>In order for carbon monoxide to come out of the grills, there'd have to be some sort of leak in the exhaust system under the hood, right? I'm assuming here that the grills were intended only to provide additional cooling for the engine, not to vent the exhaust...<p>I wonder what the motivation for that ruling was. I know I'm jumping to the rash assumption that there was a logical reason for the rule...<p>Lorenz<p><p><i><br>: Erik Rutberg<br>: 1998 540i sport 6-sp<br>: 1997 318ti sport<br>: 1985 735iA<br>: 1973 2002<br>: and looking for a good coupe <br></i><p>Awesome collection -- I'm jealous! :)<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index