Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

chris reeves
11-03-1999, 07:51 AM
I have this theory on why the M3 board is so prone to immature rantings and loads of flames.<p>I think it's because the M3s (especially used ones) are cheap enough that young people can afford them. I frequent the E39 5 series board, and it's much more civilized.<p>If you think that's because E39s are boring, then check out the M5 board. It's also civilized.<p>Really, you folks are embarrassing. Especially that guy who goes by "j". That was a particularly witty comment you made ("it has a freaking clutch") in response to the poor guy who posted an incomplete explanation on what the SMG is.<p>You don't see this kind of behavior on porsche boards. The kind of dumb, incendiary comments made on this board makes the M3 seem like it appeals to the honky muscle car drivers of the European performance set.<p>Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p>

collyer
11-03-1999, 08:25 AM
<br>: Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p></i>Plese tell us your flame retardant suit says BMW on it, not "Porsche". Otherwise, well said.<br>collyer<br>'91 M5<br>'91 M3C

Stan
11-03-1999, 08:29 AM
LOL you make some interesting points.<p>Alomg those lines I can tell you that I have had first hand experience dealing with many M3 owners as I try to buy one. While many are super duper car enthusiasts, many are super duper you-know-whats. A high percentage are nearly impossible to deal with and are extremely untrustworthy. I have bought and sold many cars over the years and in my case buying or trying to buy a used M3 takes the cake for being an... experiene to say the least. Maybe some of those wild posters are the sort of folis you really don't want to buy a used M3 from....<p>Stan

jason
11-03-1999, 09:52 AM
Agreed. Used m3s are cheap, and kids think they are such hot **** with them. Hopefully things will change with the e46 m3.<p><br><i>: I have this theory on why the M3 board is so prone to immature rantings and loads of flames.<p>: I think it's because the M3s (especially used ones) are cheap enough that young people can afford them. I frequent the E39 5 series board, and it's much more civilized.<p>: If you think that's because E39s are boring, then check out the M5 board. It's also civilized.<p>: Really, you folks are embarrassing. Especially that guy who goes by "j". That was a particularly witty comment you made ("it has a freaking clutch") in response to the poor guy who posted an incomplete explanation on what the SMG is.<p>: You don't see this kind of behavior on porsche boards. The kind of dumb, incendiary comments made on this board makes the M3 seem like it appeals to the honky muscle car drivers of the European performance set.<p>: Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p></i>

johnW
11-03-1999, 10:50 AM
<i>: I have this theory on why the M3 board is so prone to immature rantings and loads of flames.<p>: I think it's because the M3s (especially used ones) are cheap enough that young people can afford them. I frequent the E39 5 series board, and it's much more civilized.<p>: If you think that's because E39s are boring, then check out the M5 board. It's also civilized.<p>: Really, you folks are embarrassing. Especially that guy who goes by "j". That was a particularly witty comment you made ("it has a freaking clutch") in response to the poor guy who posted an incomplete explanation on what the SMG is.<p>: You don't see this kind of behavior on porsche boards. The kind of dumb, incendiary comments made on this board makes the M3 seem like it appeals to the honky muscle car drivers of the European performance set.<p>: Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p>________<br>You hit the nail square on the head. Most of these so-called "young honky muscle car kids" used to buy mustangs, camaros, and used vettes. Why they abandoned these, who knows. Now these highly self-indulged adolescents are going after low-cost used M3s and are doing a real good job of garbaging up the image of a great sports/race car. Maybe this new E46 M3 board can more like the E39/M5/Porsche ones and be free of these self-centered kids for a year or two.

MT
11-03-1999, 01:39 PM
It's not young kids affording them, it's their parents giving them $$$ to buy them<p>The M3 is a young people's car. 5er is for older audience, and 7er as well.<p>Sorry, but the M3 isn't meant as a cure for midlife crisis<p>'99 M3

Jason L2
11-03-1999, 02:05 PM
Well! I don't know about anyone else here, but I enjoy a bit of male to male banter. It keeps life from being boring and uneventful. Isn't it the very nature of the male gender to beat their chests and compete with other males? Money and snooty attitudes don't prevent this; alas they inspire it further...<br>Go to an 8 series bulletin board, and the level of arrogance rises even above that of the 5 series boards. It's rediculous. These people do not know how to let it all hang out and have fun; they should all be writing textbooks on impotence and driving Saabs..<br>I for one can and am going to get the new E46, and it won't weed me out of the bunch. I'll be cruising the hood, with my head out my window barking at the boring folk who can't take a joke - and be having the kind of fun that would make one blush if they even dreamed of it...<p>Long live all you kewl guys that populate this page! Keep it fun and interesting! :-P

jps
11-03-1999, 02:10 PM
Actually, the 'honky muscle car' boards, while having a large percentage of young people, tend to stay quite techinically oriented and won't put up with the kind a BS that goes on here.<br>The behavior here tends to reinforce the snobby, elitist stereotype of BMW owners.<p><br>

MT
11-03-1999, 02:14 PM
<i>: Actually, the 'honky muscle car' boards, while having a large percentage of young people, tend to stay quite techinically oriented and won't put up with the kind a BS that goes on here.<br>: The behavior here tends to reinforce the snobby, elitist stereotype of BMW owners.<p><br></i>

UNVMYM3
11-03-1999, 04:02 PM
<i>: I have this theory on why the M3 board is so prone to immature rantings and loads of flames.<p>: I think it's because the M3s (especially used ones) are cheap enough that young people can afford them. I frequent the E39 5 series board, and it's much more civilized.<p>: If you think that's because E39s are boring, then check out the M5 board. It's also civilized.<p>: Really, you folks are embarrassing. Especially that guy who goes by "j". That was a particularly witty comment you made ("it has a freaking clutch") in response to the poor guy who posted an incomplete explanation on what the SMG is.<p>: You don't see this kind of behavior on porsche boards. The kind of dumb, incendiary comments made on this board makes the M3 seem like it appeals to the honky muscle car drivers of the European performance set.<p>: Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p></i> that as we youngsters grow up, we are becoming more successful. I came from the E36 board to see what people are saying about the new E46. See, I'm considering buying one while I keep the E36, also. Is it a bad thing to be young and enjoy expensive cars??? Are you threatened because younger kids have a tendency to drive these cars more effectively then the older set, and then talk trash, too??? We are young, and personally, have major attitude!!! If we've got it, flaunt it. Maybe you shouldn't worry about the young guns with attitudes so much. Your a little uptight, my man. Maybe you should get out more. And once I get and E46 M3, I'll be on this board also voicing my opinion. I think younger kids just use more colorful language and this bothers you to some degree, there, geeves. If I see you on the highway, you'll just be another victim!!!<br> I'm out, don't stess yourself out my brother!!!

BK
11-03-1999, 04:14 PM
Also possibly we're a little bit testy from the dearth of real info on the car.

UNVMYM3
11-03-1999, 04:21 PM
<i>: Well! I don't know about anyone else here, but I enjoy a bit of male to male banter. It keeps life from being boring and uneventful. Isn't it the very nature of the male gender to beat their chests and compete with other males? Money and snooty attitudes don't prevent this; alas they inspire it further...<br>: Go to an 8 series bulletin board, and the level of arrogance rises even above that of the 5 series boards. It's rediculous. These people do not know how to let it all hang out and have fun; they should all be writing textbooks on impotence and driving Saabs..<br>: I for one can and am going to get the new E46, and it won't weed me out of the bunch. I'll be cruising the hood, with my head out my window barking at the boring folk who can't take a joke - and be having the kind of fun that would make one blush if they even dreamed of it...<p>: Long live all you kewl guys that populate this page! Keep it fun and interesting! :-P<p></i>

UNVMYM3
11-03-1999, 04:23 PM
<i>: Well! I don't know about anyone else here, but I enjoy a bit of male to male banter. It keeps life from being boring and uneventful. Isn't it the very nature of the male gender to beat their chests and compete with other males? Money and snooty attitudes don't prevent this; alas they inspire it further...<br>: Go to an 8 series bulletin board, and the level of arrogance rises even above that of the 5 series boards. It's rediculous. These people do not know how to let it all hang out and have fun; they should all be writing textbooks on impotence and driving Saabs..<br>: I for one can and am going to get the new E46, and it won't weed me out of the bunch. I'll be cruising the hood, with my head out my window barking at the boring folk who can't take a joke - and be having the kind of fun that would make one blush if they even dreamed of it...<p>: Long live all you kewl guys that populate this page! Keep it fun and interesting! :-P<p></i>

KJK
11-03-1999, 04:34 PM
<i>: <br>: : Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p>: Plese tell us your flame retardant suit says BMW on it, not "Porsche". Otherwise, well said.<br>: collyer<br>: '91 M5<br>: '91 M3C <p></i>I think people can ignore the flames and get the technical information they need. Generalizations are just that.<p>KJK 91 M5 (almost bought and M3/4 and I am in my mid-30's, does that qualify as young? I am not sure, I am neither a baby boomer nor a generation xer according to the press)

Alan (young M roadster owner)
11-03-1999, 04:37 PM
Well...I also disagree. For some reason there seems to be a lot of immature people on this board. I don't know why. I'm young, have a powerful BMW, but I think I know how to behave myself (usually that is) and have civilized discussions in public forums. I don't know whether it is being young that makes some people on this board immature or what. I had my first BMW when I was 16, and I like to think I was more mature then than some of the people I see posting here.<p>It is a shame they can't just try to get along and help each other, because it is better for everyone if a peaceful, informed, and informative discussion can take place without lots of posturing and quipping.<p><br>--Alan

chris reeves
11-03-1999, 05:13 PM
<i>: <br>: : Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p>: Plese tell us your flame retardant suit says BMW on it, not "Porsche". Otherwise, well said.<br>: collyer<br>: '91 M5<br>: '91 M3C <p></i>

chris reeves
11-03-1999, 05:17 PM
<i>: Actually, the 'honky muscle car' boards, while having a large percentage of young people, tend to stay quite techinically oriented and won't put up with the kind a BS that goes on here.<br>: The behavior here tends to reinforce the snobby, elitist stereotype of BMW owners.<p><br></i>

Brann
11-03-1999, 05:36 PM
...your 'writing' shows that you have the approximate maturity level of a ten-year-old. He brought up some very valid points, and your post did nothing but back up his opinion. It's the immature posturing (such as yours) that gives BMW drivers a bad name. BTW, being young has nothing to do with acting like an ***, or not knowing proper English. I'm 20 and I can string along complete sentences pretty easily. I'd be very ashamed if you were my brother.<p>Another thing...at least have the guts to post an email address.

UNVMYM3
11-03-1999, 05:53 PM
<i>: ...your 'writing' shows that you have the approximate maturity level of a ten-year-old. He brought up some very valid points, and your post did nothing but back up his opinion. It's the immature posturing (such as yours) that gives BMW drivers a bad name. BTW, being young has nothing to do with acting like an ***, or not knowing proper English. I'm 20 and I can string along complete sentences pretty easily. I'd be very ashamed if you were my brother.<p>: Another thing...at least have the guts to post an email address.<p></i>I'll have you know that I did very well in English. You must be another one who is also bored with no life, because the best you could do to insult me is attack my grammar??? That's rather pathetic. Did I spell that right???<br>I was trying to express the simple fact that you can be a wise *** and drive an expensive car, also. And as you pointed out, I did one hell of a job at that. Feel free to correct my grammar and e-mail me all about it. Time for you to get out more, sport. Oh, and I'm happy were not related either. You single handedly backed up the reasoning why BMW owners come across as snobbish, and your only 20. You must have worked really hard to be such a **** at such a young age!!!

JG
11-03-1999, 06:12 PM
I had a 95 Luxury M3 (Daytona Violet) for 2 years and the boards I frequented were like this one, but a bit worse. Then, I got a 99 Corvette 6speed which I kept for 9 months, In that time- I spent some hours on Vette boards, or a combination of Camaro, Vette, Firebird- and people on these boards were much more layed back (its an obvious difference)- now that I have an Mcoupe, I'm back to the BMW scene- and I feel like I have regressed back to my M3 days. The E46 board seems to be the worst, with the E36 board coming in at a close second. The other boards are generally fine, but still don't have the real civil atmosphere of the "Muscle Car" boards. Anyhow, this board could be alot worse than it is now and I still get great info from it- and thats all that counts<p>JG<br>00 Mcoupe

Brann
11-03-1999, 07:02 PM
Ummm...how did you arrive at that? In my experience, about 30% of BMW owners are snobs or drive like dumbasses. Don't know what your experience has been like. As I've pointed out many times before, I'm not a BMW owner. I own a few VWs and lurk here occasionally to get info. <p>I don't know about you, but I've got about as fulfilling a life as I can afford, being a college student. I've got a girlfriend and a pretty decent job, so I'm not lacking there. Getting out more? Just what the hell is that supposed to mean? That I don't see enough dumbasses on the road everyday? <p>Since when does maturity qualify someone as a ****? Oh well...at least you're not typing 'da' instead of 'the,' and you actually take the time to spell out 'you' instead of 'u,' so maybe there's hope for you yet. Let's just go ahead and call it a day. Flame wars are no fun. As for your moniker, I sure as hell do...not too much longer to wait, though.

NB
11-03-1999, 07:04 PM
Just take a look at the 7-series board. BTW, what color combo is your Coupe?

JG
11-03-1999, 11:51 PM
to agree with that- the 7 series board (the few times I have checked it out) appears to be a relatively calm place compared to the rest. <p>JG<br>00 Mcoupe<br>(Imola Red/Imola-Black)<br>Dinan upgrades,B&B exhaust

the fence?
11-04-1999, 11:23 AM
Well, that's kind of like some of the posters here. They'll bark and bark because they know you can't hurt them. BIG BARK, with knarley, snarley teeth. Usually little relavant content. The anonymity of the internet permits it.<p>That's why the "why don't you send me your email addy so I can poke you in the nose personally" retort is so popular.<p>Schoolyard antics. Big egos with small, well shall we say, brains. People still trying to figure out who they are and how they fit into the rest of the world (or don't fit into the rest of the world, as the case may be). And using their BMW to defnine themselves to themselves and to others.<p>Personally, I don't need it. I'm not interested in participating in some misguided journey as you put in your time figuring out who you are. Thanks anyway. I'll pass.<p>I'd rather stick with Bimmer-related content and add value with positive comments to reasonable inquiries. That is, as long as it remains reasonably civilized and people are interested in my input.<p>After all, that's why we're here. Isn't it? Sharing Bimmer experiences?<p>And no, I'm not going to post with my email address. So don't even start. I like my anonymity, but for a different reason than being able to poke other people in their cyber nose. I don't feel like being hassled by some misguided soul who is still trying to figure out their lot in life.<p>My .02

Paul E
11-04-1999, 01:50 PM
<i>: I have this theory on why the M3 board is so prone to immature rantings and loads of flames.<p>: I think it's because the M3s (especially used ones) are cheap enough that young people can afford them. I frequent the E39 5 series board, and it's much more civilized.<p>: If you think that's because E39s are boring, then check out the M5 board. It's also civilized.<p>: Really, you folks are embarrassing. Especially that guy who goes by "j". That was a particularly witty comment you made ("it has a freaking clutch") in response to the poor guy who posted an incomplete explanation on what the SMG is.<p>: You don't see this kind of behavior on porsche boards. The kind of dumb, incendiary comments made on this board makes the M3 seem like it appeals to the honky muscle car drivers of the European performance set.<p>: Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p></i> I had come from owning a tricked out Volvo 850 Turbo with 275 hp, and spent alot of time on the Brickboard.com forum....There are alot of folks with similarly souped up turbocharged Volvos there, and most of the contributors had reached a level of urbanity and wit which you rarely find here...Besides having ideas, the people knew how to WRITE. I think the reasons you give are right on....Alot of would be muscle car owners who are every bit the muscle head inside in terms of mentality hang out here....They are near gen xers, and the reason they sound like Beavis and Butthead is because they are their audience. I'm sure most of these guys would rather keep the board all pimplefaced...I guess largely for the reason you give about being able to buy used M3s for less than what a new Cobra would cost, they gravitate wo what the media has led them to believe is the best performance value going...Not that we're immune either. As it stands, I confess, I've gotten rather used to it...For a higher level of communication, I find some of the digests to be very enjoyable and informative.....good luck.

AC
11-05-1999, 08:05 PM
<eom>

Bob ///M3
11-05-1999, 11:28 PM
I not sure I understand your comment about used M3s being cheap. Compared to what?<p>How old does one have to be before they are not considered a kid?<p>Just curious why you made the comments you did.<p>Bob ///M3 <p><br><i>: Agreed. Used m3s are cheap, and kids think they are such hot **** with them. Hopefully things will change with the e46 m3.<p>: <br>: : I have this theory on why the M3 board is so prone to immature rantings and loads of flames.<p>: : I think it's because the M3s (especially used ones) are cheap enough that young people can afford them. I frequent the E39 5 series board, and it's much more civilized.<p>: : If you think that's because E39s are boring, then check out the M5 board. It's also civilized.<p><br>: : You don't see this kind of behavior on porsche boards. The kind of dumb, incendiary comments made on this board makes the M3 seem like it appeals to the honky muscle car drivers of the European performance set.<p>: : Well this will probably draw some flames, so I'm going to hunt for my fire suit. . .<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index