Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

DT
11-08-1999, 06:03 PM
a friend of mine was in europe at the time of the frankfurt autoshow. although she didn't go, she reaad some article that said that although bmw was not going to advertise it, the new m3 bmw was planning to ship to america had the same speed limiter as the euro<br>model which i believe is currently 270 km/hour. i think that comes out to 167 mph instead of the 150 we see on the current m5. i know, who's going to care about the extra 12 mph? it's meaningless in the us (unless you live in a state with a speed limit of "reasonable and prudent"....yes officer, i believe 167 is prudent........although). anyways, this suggests the us m3 will have the same gear ratiosas the euro version, unlike the current m3, to accomodate 'cruising' at 167 mph. anyone know of an autobahn in california? =)<p>-d

Bruce
11-08-1999, 06:51 PM
1. speed limiters in Germany at 250mph which is 155mph. It will NOT be higher than this.<br>2. Montana has a speed limit. BTW- it never really didn't have one.

mill
11-09-1999, 09:39 AM
All stock Audi, BMW, Mercedes are speed limited officially to 250 kph (silent agreement between the manufacturers).<br>Of course a M5 will be faster than a 540 and a M3 e46 faster than (the future) 330i e46 (don't know if the 330i will reach the limiter).<br>

Bill 99M3
11-09-1999, 12:34 PM
Try I40 between Barstow and Needles. Late night usually is a good time to wring it out.... I5 between Bakersfield and Fresno (if not foggy) is also prime. Watch for planes and be sure to have a radar detector. Seen many making high speed runs over the years. Even had a Tractor Trailer rig pass me at 105 once at 3am! Slowed down for the hills but passed me twice on the downhills. I was doing 85mph. Didn't like being blown off the road so I took it up to 135mph for ~ 15 min. to get some distance. Then left it at 120 for over an hour! Obviously slow down when passing other cars and do at your own risk....<p><i>: a friend of mine was in europe at the time of the frankfurt autoshow. although she didn't go, she reaad some article that said that although bmw was not going to advertise it, the new m3 bmw was planning to ship to america had the same speed limiter as the euro<br>: model which i believe is currently 270 km/hour. i think that comes out to 167 mph instead of the 150 we see on the current m5. i know, who's going to care about the extra 12 mph? it's meaningless in the us (unless you live in a state with a speed limit of "reasonable and prudent"....yes officer, i believe 167 is prudent........although). anyways, this suggests the us m3 will have the same gear ratiosas the euro version, unlike the current m3, to accomodate 'cruising' at 167 mph. anyone know of an autobahn in california? =)<p>: -d<p></i>

Gilbert
11-10-1999, 10:01 AM
<i>(don't know if the 330i will reach the limiter).</i><p>Maybe. BMW states a top speed of 149mph for the E46 328i.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index