Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

America?
11-09-1999, 01:15 PM
Any good reason why SMG is not comming to America?<p>What's the latest?<p>Thanks<p>Caesar

Shawn
11-09-1999, 02:38 PM
<i>: Any good reason why SMG is not comming to America?<p>: What's the latest?<p>: Thanks<p>: Caesar<p></i>

shift (eom) Bruce
11-09-1999, 03:10 PM

Rick Key
11-09-1999, 05:39 PM
<i>: Any good reason why SMG is not comming to America?<p>: What's the latest?<p>: Thanks<p>: Caesar<p></i>It is my understanding from British auto magazines, Roundel and others that BMW was not real happy with E36 M3s SMG. I think they iron out all the problems in Europe before delivering to the litigous US.

ricky Key ?
11-09-1999, 06:11 PM
<p><i>: Any good reason why SMG is not comming to America?<p>: What's the latest?<p>: Thanks<p>: Caesar<p></i>

robbo
11-10-1999, 03:17 AM
SMG has bee a disaster in terms of reliability and performance (especially reliability).<p>I had a friend who had an SMG which spent less than 50% of its life roadworthy in the first 4 months. Eventually BMW agreed to take the car back, and replaced it with a 540 at no cost.<p>I think SMG will quietly disappear (even in europe) for a while until the engineering is improved.

Gilbert
11-10-1999, 09:58 AM
When NJ CCA chapter was at BMWNA for the meeting, the M brand manager commented on SMG. He said it was great when high performance driving, but lacked in town/traffic driving. ie: It shifts too fast for those situations. He said it wouldn't arrive on these shores until BMWNA was happy with it.

BMWM3
11-10-1999, 01:50 PM
<i>: When NJ CCA chapter was at BMWNA for the meeting, the M brand manager commented on SMG. He said it was great when high performance driving, but lacked in town/traffic driving. ie: It shifts too fast for those situations. He said it wouldn't arrive on these shores until BMWNA was happy with it.<p>Did the M Manager have any information on the new M3 or other M cars.<br></i>

Gilbert
11-10-1999, 01:56 PM
Basically nothing I haven't already posted here. He couldn't answer many questions for one reason or another.

Bruce
11-10-1999, 02:06 PM
it will be available in Red right? LOL (joke from M day USA 1998)

Gilbert
11-10-1999, 03:21 PM
Well...he said it wouldn't be available in the color that showed at Frankfurt. He also said it would definitely have an inline six. But you knew those tidbits already Bruce. He also attempted to reassure everyone that the E46 M3 would not follow the rumors of being a 'bloated beast' (my words.)

Ray Koch
11-10-1999, 03:45 PM
1) Demand - From what I gather BMW does not believe that there will be enough US demand to import it. I lot of people don't even know what the SMG is.<p>2) Performance - The current SMG (a first generation effort), while being pretty nifty, has a few bugs. BMW would have to rework it to make it more attactive to US buyers.<p>3) Price - I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the current SMG option costs $4500 over the manual in Europe. That may make it cost prohibitive for many buyers.<p>The lastest review that I read (I don't remember which mag it was) of the new Ferrari 360 with the F1 said that while it was cool it had some flaws and they would have opted for the manual. Supposedly the F1 electronically controled hydraulic clutch trans is currently the state of the art in a production car. I believe that these types of auto transmissions will eventually replace the Steptronic type auto boxes in performance cars when the prices come down and the technology gets better for daily driving. <p>BMW will probably offer the next-gen SMG in Euro M3s and maybe M5s. I wouldn't expect it here until 2004 at the earliest.<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index