Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ronin
08-25-2000, 09:26 PM
What mods would you need to do to get 380 hp out of the 3200cc engine? That is what the specs say for the Motorsport m3.<br>Also do you think that bmw is leaving itself some room for growth by issuing a 330-340 hp car so that in a year when the competition gets tougher it can make similar mods to the engine and have 380 hp 290 torque?

Josh
08-25-2000, 09:56 PM
You aren't going to get 380hp from the new M3 unless you turbocharge, supercharge or nitrous it.<p>First off the I suspect the 380 claim on the Motorsport site is bull****, the actual figure is probably much higher. They just say that so that it seems closer to the stock car. They could easily bump it well over 400hp by doing some simple things; Increase the compression, which would be enabled by the use of high octane racing fuel. Push back the rev-limiter after strengthening the internals which they could do because the engine only has to survive for a short time. Blueprint and gas-flow the engine. Remove most of the exhaust system including cats. Add an unfiltered and tuned airbox.<p>Most of these mods aren't possible on a street car. If you're that worried about not having the fastest car on your street buy another car. Better yet seek psychiatric help.<p><i><br>What mods would you need to do to get 380 hp out of the 3200cc engine? That is what the specs say for the Motorsport m3.<br>Also do you think that bmw is leaving itself some room for growth by issuing a 330-340 hp car so that in a year when the competition gets tougher it can make similar mods to the engine and have 380 hp 290 torque?<p></i><br>

Ronin
08-25-2000, 11:17 PM
<i>Most of these mods aren't possible on a street car. If you're that worried about not having the fastest car on your street buy another car. Better yet seek psychiatric help.<br></i><p><br>I only asked because I have no knowledge of engines and what it takes to mod them and was interested as to why the numbers would be different.<br>I have a 323ci now and love that, so I know the e46m3 is going to be a blast, but it seems no-one wants to share knowledge on a "DISCUSSION BOARD" any more.

Mr. Grinch
08-26-2000, 03:24 AM
Make up your mind. First you say you can't make 380hp from the new M3 engine without super/turbo/nitro feed, then you proceed to say you probably can make over 400 without. <p>The guy clearly wasn't talking about the street car, he was talking about the motorsport version. As you point out, intake and exhaust with no emissions controls will help. A polished head that's been shaved will get more compression. And finally, new ECU programming. <p>Like the original poster, I would find it hard to imagine that they can't tweak even more out of the engine if they needed too. But I'm not sure what they would try next. I still think slightly more displacement is possible from the current engine.<p><br>

joe
08-26-2000, 05:01 AM
<i><br>Make up your mind. First you say you can't make 380hp from the new M3 engine without super/turbo/nitro feed, then you proceed to say you probably can make over 400 without. <br></i><br>read things<p>he was talking about the new m3 engine STOCK which cant produce 380bhp without serious(professional) racing modifications<p>goes on to explain those modifications for 400+hp <br>

dum ass
08-26-2000, 04:27 PM
<i><br>What mods would you need to do to get 380 hp out of the 3200cc engine? That is what the specs say for the Motorsport m3.<br>Also do you think that bmw is leaving itself some room for growth by issuing a 330-340 hp car so that in a year when the competition gets tougher it can make similar mods to the engine and have 380 hp 290 torque?<p></i><br>

Evan...(m)
08-27-2000, 11:20 PM
<i><br>What mods would you need to do to get 380 hp out of the 3200cc engine? That is what the specs say for the Motorsport m3.<br>Also do you think that bmw is leaving itself some room for growth by issuing a 330-340 hp car so that in a year when the competition gets tougher it can make similar mods to the engine and have 380 hp 290 torque?<p></i>3.2l with almost no internal mods except from a mild-wild set of cams, a modified ECU and a bad *** intake box. So they went from 320hp to 380hp, so it is possiable<br>

-
08-28-2000, 05:02 AM
Ronin,<br>I talked to Nowak, a german tuner who recently released a 500bhp version of the M5. I've asked them if they would do anything with the E46 M3. They said that i could expect a 380 - 400 bhp version from them around the time when my car is delivered delivered to me(January). It would also feature GT2 breaks and modified suspension.<br>Interesting, isn't it...<br>I also got a fax from Bmw stating the official weight of the car, 1570 kg, eu norm. At least for me, it was the first time i've seen that info through offical channels.<br>

racer
08-28-2000, 04:24 PM
<i><br>What mods would you need to do to get 380 hp out of the 3200cc engine? That is what the specs say for the Motorsport m3.<br>Also do you think that bmw is leaving itself some room for growth by issuing a 330-340 hp car so that in a year when the competition gets tougher it can make similar mods to the engine and have 380 hp 290 torque?<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index