Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

m3 man but
09-29-2000, 11:01 AM
well...gotta an issue..i am ist on m3 waiting list....but now the local chevy dealer called and said a z06 is available, due to cancellation, and thinks i'm the right guy for the car....i am excited about m3 especially after 'rolands' film but know how fast this new vette is and how much better it handles vs...older vettes...rei realize the cars are really different but i personally like them both...thoughts out there?

ccadrecha
09-29-2000, 11:15 AM
<i><br>well...gotta an issue..i am ist on m3 waiting list....but now the local chevy dealer called and said a z06 is available, due to cancellation, and thinks i'm the right guy for the car....i am excited about m3 especially after 'rolands' film but know how fast this new vette is and how much better it handles vs...older vettes...rei realize the cars are really different but i personally like them both...thoughts out there?<p></i><br>i'm sure the new vettes have got some good points, but i think this one's going to be worth the wait<br>

Lowell
09-29-2000, 11:25 AM
Buy the vette and keep it till your number comes up for the M3. When it arrives, drive it and if you like it better, keep the M3. Either car will still be worth what you paid for it, so sell the one you dont keep for what you paid for it and you wont be out of anything. <p>Lowell

phil
09-29-2000, 11:33 AM
Do you have to pay a markup? My local chevy dealer is charging a 14K mark-up. If you can buy the Z06 at MSRP, you could even make money on the car if you resale with low mileage.<p><i><br>well...gotta an issue..i am ist on m3 waiting list....but now the local chevy dealer called and said a z06 is available, due to cancellation, and thinks i'm the right guy for the car....i am excited about m3 especially after 'rolands' film but know how fast this new vette is and how much better it handles vs...older vettes...rei realize the cars are really different but i personally like them both...thoughts out there?<p></i><br>

NJ
09-29-2000, 11:35 AM
<i><br>well...gotta an issue..i am ist on m3 waiting list....but now the local chevy dealer called and said a z06 is available, due to cancellation, and thinks i'm the right guy for the car....i am excited about m3 especially after 'rolands' film but know how fast this new vette is and how much better it handles vs...older vettes...rei realize the cars are really different but i personally like them both...thoughts out there?<p></i><br>

racecar
09-29-2000, 11:40 AM
and omg, i didn't know the m5 was capable of handling liek THAT! and from what i can deduce, the m3 will be more nimble and agile and will be able to even outhandle the m5.. and my oh my, we shall have one helluva a car on our hands. by the way, how does the vette do on anything but dry surfaces? tested in ice, rain, snow, etc..?<p><i><br>well...gotta an issue..i am ist on m3 waiting list....but now the local chevy dealer called and said a z06 is available, due to cancellation, and thinks i'm the right guy for the car....i am excited about m3 especially after 'rolands' film but know how fast this new vette is and how much better it handles vs...older vettes...rei realize the cars are really different but i personally like them both...thoughts out there?<p></i><br>

G
09-29-2000, 11:44 AM

racecar
09-29-2000, 11:56 AM
i've been looking for the website, and my history of URL's has been erased.. but i have it on my hard drive.. i'll keep lookin around for the web page.. but ask the m5 forum, they should kno<p><br><i><br> <p></i><br>

coky
09-29-2000, 12:30 PM
it was hot testing conditions, but the z06 was phenomenal in the 0-60, quarter mile, braking, and handling. <p>that test included the 996TT, 360 modena, viper GTS and some others.<p>the z8 looked like a pig and didn't do very well at all. i realize that previously they pegged the z8 at 4.2 and 12.6, but this time, under the same conditions compared to the other cars, it just looked like a superexpensive m roadster.<p>if you read that car comparison, i think you will buy the z06. you won't get that sort of rush of power from the m3. <p>ps. can you m3 guys imagine how the m3 would go if it weighed about 400 pounds less? it's fast now, it would be phenomenal then.<p>just some thoughts from a humble m coupe owner.

Beefer
09-29-2000, 01:09 PM
Last video on the bottom of the page...<p>http://www.geocities.com/ftggf45/movies.html

G
09-29-2000, 01:24 PM

JMS
09-29-2000, 01:45 PM
<br>Talk to current vette and m3 owners and see what they have to say. For either car you won't be able to get it 10/10s on an everyday drive. If you plan on tracking or autoXing the car then I would say both will give you ample amount of enjoyment. Both cars will be extremely fast and fun. Also look at resale value, insurance, reliability etc.. Both cars will probably be much more capable than we are as drivers so having a faster car doesn't necessarily make us a better driver. I learned my lesson when I got some good spanking by the Miata guys. <p>Good luck in your decision. You'll be smiling in either vehicle.<p>JMS<br>99 DINAN M3

Art Henry
09-29-2000, 02:06 PM
<i>Having owned a 1998 C5 Corvette, then trading up to an M Roadster last year, I can say with great confidence that the Corvette is the inferior car to a comparable M vehicle. Sure the Z06 is super fast and has more low-end than a booster rocket, but what really makes it special? I mean, here in Detroit, I see at least 15 C5's on my commute to the office and when you get down to it, it's just another mass produced Chevy. There is nothing wrong with that, but I sense that most of the individuals who interact on this board really appreciate the fact that they own an "M" machine, a very special and much more rare vehicle. Don't get me started on the quality issues either. One example; on my way to work one morning cruising at about 90mph and encounter a few showers/wet pavement. Suddenly the car just lost power and I am nearly rear-ended by an 18 wheeler not too far behind. I manage to get the car to the median, towed to my local Chevy dealer and what does he tell me. "Oh that happens sometimes if the engine control module gets wet, Chevy has been meaning to get a recall out, but just haven't yet"!!!! One pissed customer. Sorry for the long message, but I've ventured to "Bowtie" land and I will never go back. Good luck with your new vehicle!<br>well...gotta an issue..i am ist on m3 waiting list....but now the local chevy dealer called and said a z06 is available, due to cancellation, and thinks i'm the right guy for the car....i am excited about m3 especially after 'rolands' film but know how fast this new vette is and how much better it handles vs...older vettes...rei realize the cars are really different but i personally like them both...thoughts out there?<p></i><br>

Josh
09-29-2000, 02:46 PM
If you place outright performance and handling at the top of your list the Z06 is the only choice. Infact save for a slight hp penalty the Z06 is probably the best supercar/sportscar in the world right now. It's truly an awesome car, I can't beleive Chevrolet was able to put out such a perfectly balanced performance machine. Plus the Vette has such a sweet engine, it's a pushrod V8 that's extremely compact, light, feul efficient and powerfull. Next year they'll be adding a second cam and giving both fully adjustable timing (like the M3).<p>If flexibility and style are a bit more important for you buy the M3. One of the reasons I'm going for the M3 is there's no way I can fit a snowboard or a bicycle in a Vette. I'm ashamed to admit that another reason is that Vette owners are seen as 40 year old mid life crisis wana bees.

Mr. Grinch
09-29-2000, 03:23 PM
Well put. The M3 is the obvious choice for those of us looking for the daily driver and need to haul passengers / bikes / computers / luggage etc from a to b on a more frequent basis.<br>

psybj
09-30-2000, 01:44 AM
Z06 is fast and handles well.<p>///M3 will ride better, be more useable and functional, travel better, be a liveable daily driver, NOT BREAK DOWN ON A REGULAR BASIS, etc.<p>If you want a car to scream around town on occasion, with no concern about travel, luggage, reliability, etc, the vet is the car.<p>I don't collect cars -- I drive one for function and fun at the same time. No way will a Vette be my daily transportation.<p>psybj

John C
09-30-2000, 12:51 PM
they are dime a dozen where I live... <p>You are dreaming if you think the new M, or the E46 bodystile is going to be as rare as a Z06

Lazlo
10-01-2000, 02:49 PM
<i><br>they are dime a dozen where I live... <p>You are dreaming if you think the new M, or the E46 bodystile is going to be as rare as a Z06<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index