Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

RJ
11-27-2000, 08:04 PM
at 95,000 miles. If I swicth back to regular oil will it stop leaking?

Easy Rhino
11-27-2000, 08:31 PM
Might want to try the forum specific to your car (and it would help to mention what kind it is). I'm thinking you don't have an E46 M3 with 95,000+ miles.<p><i><br>at 95,000 miles. If I swicth back to regular oil will it stop leaking?<p></i><br>

leaking E46 M3's
11-27-2000, 08:43 PM

a genine effort to help
11-27-2000, 09:35 PM
Before swithching back, try a heavier viscosity synth. If that does not work, switching back will proabably take care of your problem.<p>Of course, IMHO the real problem is that your gaskets and/or seals need replacing.<p>Finally a big thanks to all those who have wasted space by writing smart *** replies to real problems. Perhaps their time is better utilized agonizing over which color M3 will best attract other "decoratively gifted" men.<p><i><br>at 95,000 miles. If I swicth back to regular oil will it stop leaking?<p></i><br>

ckpaden
11-27-2000, 09:52 PM
<i><br>at 95,000 miles. If I swicth back to regular oil will it stop leaking?<p></i><br>The problem is that while using regular oil for the first 95k all of your seals have been broken in with the larger particule that are found in the regular oil. Synthetic oil has smaller particules and will cause a oil leak. Yes if you switch back to regular oil the leaking will stop but if you want the performance of the synthetic you will need to change some of the engines gaskets.

Mr. Grinch
11-27-2000, 09:55 PM
Unless there is some real, tangible benefit you're going after, I'd just switch back. If this was just a "what if" experiment, why pursue it further? Switch back, don't go too far between oil changes, and budget for whatever is leaking ( rear seals, valve or intake gaskets, oil pan gaskets... more?) <p>There could be some immediate benefit to switching... maybe you wanted synthetic for winter cold starts, maybe you wanted it for longer time between changes. Otherwise I'd just switch back. <p><p>

J
11-27-2000, 10:40 PM
does this mean that is wiser top use synthetic from the get-go or is there not enough of a difference?

Jon
11-28-2000, 12:40 AM
Regular oil is absorbed, to some extent, by the gaskets and seals in the engine. Over time, the seals swell up a bit. Everything is fine if you keep using the same kind of oil. The gaskets stay "wet" and swollen and there are no leaks.<p>Synthetic oil is not absorbed this way. So when you switch to synthetic, the seals "dry out" and shrink back up causing leaks.<p>So yes, it is better to go with synthetic from the start. Replacing the gaskets would fix this problem, of course. I know oil pan gaskets and others can be affected like this but I'm not sure if ALL seals are affected.<p>I guess the simplest way is to just switch and patch up the leaks later.<p>-Jon<p><i><br>does this mean that is wiser top use synthetic from the get-go or is there not enough of a difference?<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index