Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

coky
12-02-2000, 12:14 AM
just read the latest roundel. i really like the writeup about the PTG e46m3, but i didn't realize how much the porsches have dominated the series this year. i thought they made the series competitive by adding weight to the winners?<p>anyway, i don't understand how the porsches are doing so much better than the m3s? the m3s only weigh 2500 pounds or so and are putting out 420hp. is it the suspension? is it underpowered? the article pointed to a PTG m3 v8 for next year. <p>i thought i would ask here. i've never run a 911 through its paces. the legend of yore would say "oh, well, most people prefer it on the track because of x, y and z". but i dunno how much of that is hyperbole versus the p cars having an extra year or so to sort out their chassis versus the m3's freshman year.<p>thanks. hope i get some good answers. i know a lot of you watch the races on speedvision. i don't get it, unfortunately, so i only get the reruns races on FOX sports when i'm luckky.<p>

David
12-02-2000, 12:44 AM
The Porsche's have a 3.6L engine while the M3's only have 3.2L engines. And both are required to have the same size restrictor plates. So cosequently the M3's are at a disadvantage. <br><i><br>just read the latest roundel. i really like the writeup about the PTG e46m3, but i didn't realize how much the porsches have dominated the series this year. i thought they made the series competitive by adding weight to the winners?<p>anyway, i don't understand how the porsches are doing so much better than the m3s? the m3s only weigh 2500 pounds or so and are putting out 420hp. is it the suspension? is it underpowered? the article pointed to a PTG m3 v8 for next year. <p>i thought i would ask here. i've never run a 911 through its paces. the legend of yore would say "oh, well, most people prefer it on the track because of x, y and z". but i dunno how much of that is hyperbole versus the p cars having an extra year or so to sort out their chassis versus the m3's freshman year.<p>thanks. hope i get some good answers. i know a lot of you watch the races on speedvision. i don't get it, unfortunately, so i only get the reruns races on FOX sports when i'm luckky.<p></i><br>

coky
12-02-2000, 12:57 AM
okay. didn't realize it could be that strangely simple.<p>it's just displacement. <p>so automatically going to a v8 negates that difference with no other penalty for the m3?

GigaEnvy
12-02-2000, 01:16 AM
<i><br>just read the latest roundel. i really like the writeup about the PTG e46m3, but i didn't realize how much the porsches have dominated the series this year. i thought they made the series competitive by adding weight to the winners?<p>anyway, i don't understand how the porsches are doing so much better than the m3s? the m3s only weigh 2500 pounds or so and are putting out 420hp. is it the suspension? is it underpowered? the article pointed to a PTG m3 v8 for next year. <p>i thought i would ask here. i've never run a 911 through its paces. the legend of yore would say "oh, well, most people prefer it on the track because of x, y and z". but i dunno how much of that is hyperbole versus the p cars having an extra year or so to sort out their chassis versus the m3's freshman year.<p>thanks. hope i get some good answers. i know a lot of you watch the races on speedvision. i don't get it, unfortunately, so i only get the reruns races on FOX sports when i'm luckky.<p></i><br>

BK
12-02-2000, 02:09 AM
What about the differences in hp output? Don't the M3's actually have more than the 911?<p><i><br>The Porsche's have a 3.6L engine while the M3's only have 3.2L engines. And both are required to have the same size restrictor plates. So cosequently the M3's are at a disadvantage. <p>just read the latest roundel. i really like the writeup about the PTG e46m3, but i didn't realize how much the porsches have dominated the series this year. i thought they made the series competitive by adding weight to the winners?<p>anyway, i don't understand how the porsches are doing so much better than the m3s? the m3s only weigh 2500 pounds or so and are putting out 420hp. is it the suspension? is it underpowered? the article pointed to a PTG m3 v8 for next year. <p>i thought i would ask here. i've never run a 911 through its paces. the legend of yore would say "oh, well, most people prefer it on the track because of x, y and z". but i dunno how much of that is hyperbole versus the p cars having an extra year or so to sort out their chassis versus the m3's freshman year.<p>thanks. hope i get some good answers. i know a lot of you watch the races on speedvision. i don't get it, unfortunately, so i only get the reruns races on FOX sports when i'm luckky.<p><br></i><br>

StoneWalk
12-02-2000, 02:12 AM
<br>These is race cars. Thems is street cars. Not quite same thing.<br>

Mike W.
12-02-2000, 03:48 AM
I am really not following you. The 911 GT3R has 410Hp while the PTGM3 has 420HP. The 911 is at a clear disadvantage. And yes they are the same thing, the M3's have more power than both the street version and the race version. If you need proof yourself, go to the porsche website.<p>Mike

marc
12-02-2000, 04:34 AM
<i><br>I am really not following you. The 911 GT3R has 410Hp while the PTGM3 has 420HP. The 911 is at a clear disadvantage. And yes they are the same thing, the M3's have more power than both the street version and the race version. If you need proof yourself, go to the porsche website.<p>Mike<p></i><br>they are saying that since it has a bigger engine, by about .4 litre, and has the SAME size restrictor plate, which restricts airflow to the engine, the porshe has the advantage down low and basically all around, since the m3 makes most of its grunt at the top end, where the restrictor plate is certainly felt.<p>marc <br>

StoneWalk
12-02-2000, 04:23 PM
<br>And my point was that although the current street version of the E46M3 has both a horsepower and torque advantage over the 996, the race versions of these two vehicles are different and do not necessarily have the same relationship. Indeed it is exactly things like restrictor plates and total engine size which later the torque curves such that the race Porsche may have a significant speed advantage when used on a race course.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index