Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

DC from Cape Cod
01-09-2001, 11:05 PM
OK guys...please jump in and correct me or add your comments.<p>Interior Room<p>The rear seat in the Cab. is slightly smaller than in the Coupe but 2 adults will still fit as they would in the Coupe.<p>The headroom might be a bit less in the Cab.<p>Trunk Space<p>With the top down, the trunk will be 1/2 the size as compared to when it is up. Also, the trunk in the Cab. is about 75% the size of the trunk in the Coupe.<p>Weight/Performance<p>The Cab is a bit heavier and this will slow the car a bit (.3 seconds ?) to 60MPH and in the 1/4 mile (.5 seconds ?). Handling will be close but the additional weight will have a slight impact. Neither loss of performance will be noticeable under normal street driving...only on a track.<p>Resale<p>I have no idea.<p>Am I missing anything else?????? I am #1 for the Cab. and #3 for the Coupe at a small dealer....I was thinking of taking the Cab. in April (give or take a month) and then passing on my spot until the 2003 model is out and taking the first one that arrives.<p>Thoughts?

D-
01-09-2001, 11:11 PM
<i><br>OK guys...please jump in and correct me or add your comments.<p>Interior Room<p>The rear seat in the Cab. is slightly smaller than in the Coupe but 2 adults will still fit as they would in the Coupe.<p>The headroom might be a bit less in the Cab.<p>Trunk Space<p>With the top down, the trunk will be 1/2 the size as compared to when it is up. Also, the trunk in the Cab. is about 75% the size of the trunk in the Coupe.<p>Weight/Performance<p>The Cab is a bit heavier and this will slow the car a bit (.3 seconds ?) to 60MPH and in the 1/4 mile (.5 seconds ?). Handling will be close but the additional weight will have a slight impact. Neither loss of performance will be noticeable under normal street driving...only on a track.<p>Resale<p>I have no idea.<p>Am I missing anything else?????? I am #1 for the Cab. and #3 for the Coupe at a small dealer....I was thinking of taking the Cab. in April (give or take a month) and then passing on my spot until the 2003 model is out and taking the first one that arrives.<p>Thoughts?<br>--------------------<br>Do it Doug! Also convince the other people ahead of me to do the same! :-) Cab is the way to go!<br>But I personally prefer coups due the reason you've outlined + our NE weather.<p></i><br>

fcoeburn
01-09-2001, 11:14 PM
I figure<p>Headroom 1 1/2" to 2" Less<p>Noise Level 10 to 20 db Louder<p>Resale Little Better in long run

Bruce
01-09-2001, 11:18 PM
<i>OK guys...please jump in and correct me or add your comments.<p>Interior Room<p>The rear seat in the Cab. is slightly smaller than in the Coupe but 2 adults will still fit as they would in the Coupe.</i><p>No way you are going to fit 2 adults comfortably in the back seat of an M3 cab. Check out a 330 or 325 cab, the dimensions should be basically the same.<p><i>The headroom might be a bit less in the Cab.</i><p>yes<p><i>Trunk Space<p>With the top down, the trunk will be 1/2 the size as compared to when it is up. Also, the trunk in the Cab. is about 75% the size of the trunk in the Coupe.</i><p>probably close<p><i>Weight/Performance<p>The Cab is a bit heavier and this will slow the car a bit (.3 seconds ?) to 60MPH and in the 1/4 mile (.5 seconds ?). Handling will be close but the additional weight will have a slight impact. Neither loss of performance will be noticeable under normal street driving...only on a track.</i><p>I think you might be able to notice on the street, but it won't be too noticeable. Somebody who has had 2 911s and an M roadster should be able to notice the diff between an M3 coupe and cab IMO.<p><i>Resale<p>I have no idea.</i><p>The M3 cab is very pricey, it's resale value will suck. Look at the E36 resale, M3 cab resale is not real good IMO.<p><i>Am I missing anything else?????? I am #1 for the Cab. and #3 for the Coupe at a small dealer....I was thinking of taking the Cab. in April (give or take a month) and then passing on my spot until the 2003 model is out and taking the first one that arrives.<p>Thoughts?</i><p>Get the coupe.<br>

Ran
01-10-2001, 10:32 AM
While I agree with the final word of the respondent here.. i.e. Get the coupe.. I am not sure that I fully agree with the resale value argument. While actual resale may be lower perhaps for private sale, I have always noted that dealers list their M3 cabs at way above even INITIAL MSRP for used models (sometimes). They make great showroom pieces especially in summer for car dealers. If you go in March or April and trade it in, I am quite sure that you will get a very good deal. Just a thought.<p>Having said all that, I firmly believe only in the Coupe. No M3 Cab ever for me but I am not the one to ask since I wont even get a sunroof on my coupe and my greatest worry about the option packages is not the pricing but whether I will be forced to get it. One of the negative points in an M5 was the forced sunroof. I just cancelled my order for it not for that but that was 1% of the reason atleast.<p>Oh, btw, E36 M3 cabs have been posted in my local dealer at upwards of 44K (used). The coupes go for less than 40K almost always, more like 30K.<p>Cheers<p><br><i><br>OK guys...please jump in and correct me or add your comments.<p>Interior Room<p>The rear seat in the Cab. is slightly smaller than in the Coupe but 2 adults will still fit as they would in the Coupe.<p>No way you are going to fit 2 adults comfortably in the back seat of an M3 cab. Check out a 330 or 325 cab, the dimensions should be basically the same.<p>The headroom might be a bit less in the Cab.<p>yes<p>Trunk Space<p>With the top down, the trunk will be 1/2 the size as compared to when it is up. Also, the trunk in the Cab. is about 75% the size of the trunk in the Coupe.<p>probably close<p>Weight/Performance<p>The Cab is a bit heavier and this will slow the car a bit (.3 seconds ?) to 60MPH and in the 1/4 mile (.5 seconds ?). Handling will be close but the additional weight will have a slight impact. Neither loss of performance will be noticeable under normal street driving...only on a track.<p>I think you might be able to notice on the street, but it won't be too noticeable. Somebody who has had 2 911s and an M roadster should be able to notice the diff between an M3 coupe and cab IMO.<p>Resale<p>I have no idea.<p>The M3 cab is very pricey, it's resale value will suck. Look at the E36 resale, M3 cab resale is not real good IMO.<p>Am I missing anything else?????? I am #1 for the Cab. and #3 for the Coupe at a small dealer....I was thinking of taking the Cab. in April (give or take a month) and then passing on my spot until the 2003 model is out and taking the first one that arrives.<p>Thoughts?<p>Get the coupe.<p></i><br>

O2Quik
01-10-2001, 11:49 AM
You know, I'm waiting for a cab as well and I went through the same debate but what it came down to was not listening to anyone else rationalize their own preferences but to do what YOU want to do. You owned a 993 Cab, did you regret not buying a coupe? Basically the same factors applied to the 993.<p>I've owned a 993 coupe and a Z3 and I think that the M3 Cab represents what I loved most about both these cars that I owned. To rationalize the purcahse of a cab based on the points below will always result in a loss for the cab. I cab is bought for the 'top-down experience', it is not a practical car nor is it an all out performance car - it's what you trade off to let the wind pull hair out of your head at 150MPH...<p>BTW, in order to compensate for the performance deficiency, I've decided that I'll just have to be the better driver, so I'll be at the track days learning to drive this car well fast. And yes, if you have a hardtop, BMWCCA in Canada will allow you to track- don't know about the US Chapters.<br><i><br>OK guys...please jump in and correct me or add your comments.<p>Interior Room<p>The rear seat in the Cab. is slightly smaller than in the Coupe but 2 adults will still fit as they would in the Coupe.<p>The headroom might be a bit less in the Cab.<p>Trunk Space<p>With the top down, the trunk will be 1/2 the size as compared to when it is up. Also, the trunk in the Cab. is about 75% the size of the trunk in the Coupe.<p>Weight/Performance<p>The Cab is a bit heavier and this will slow the car a bit (.3 seconds ?) to 60MPH and in the 1/4 mile (.5 seconds ?). Handling will be close but the additional weight will have a slight impact. Neither loss of performance will be noticeable under normal street driving...only on a track.<p>Resale<p>I have no idea.<p>Am I missing anything else?????? I am #1 for the Cab. and #3 for the Coupe at a small dealer....I was thinking of taking the Cab. in April (give or take a month) and then passing on my spot until the 2003 model is out and taking the first one that arrives.<p>Thoughts?<p></i><br>

DC from Cape Cod
01-10-2001, 12:30 PM
I really have no idea as to the physical differences between the two cars and I thought someone here would know...thus my questions/comments. I really wasn't looking for advice as to which version to buy...that is my own private struggle.<p>As it stands right now, I will take the #1 Cab and trade it for the #3 (or 2002 model year) Coupe.

Simon in UK
01-10-2001, 02:49 PM
<i><br>OK guys...please jump in and correct me or add your comments.<p>Interior Room<p>The rear seat in the Cab. is slightly smaller than in the Coupe but 2 adults will still fit as they would in the Coupe.<p>The headroom might be a bit less in the Cab.<p>Trunk Space<p>With the top down, the trunk will be 1/2 the size as compared to when it is up. Also, the trunk in the Cab. is about 75% the size of the trunk in the Coupe.<p>Weight/Performance<p>The Cab is a bit heavier and this will slow the car a bit (.3 seconds ?) to 60MPH and in the 1/4 mile (.5 seconds ?). Handling will be close but the additional weight will have a slight impact. Neither loss of performance will be noticeable under normal street driving...only on a track.<p>Resale<p>I have no idea.<p>Am I missing anything else?????? I am #1 for the Cab. and #3 for the Coupe at a small dealer....I was thinking of taking the Cab. in April (give or take a month) and then passing on my spot until the 2003 model is out and taking the first one that arrives.<p>Thoughts?<p></i><p><br>The coupe provides 2 key elements above the cabrio for the 'enthusiastic driver': Better performance and better crash protection.<p>The performance of the cabrio is hampered (a little) by the additional weight - but much more seriously by the additional body flex. However much you reinforce the cabrio it's always going to flex more - and this has a lot of impact on handling 'feel' and on grip. <p>Incidentally I noticed this difference even in my porsche (coupe) before and after fitting a roll cage which stiffens up the chassis a bit - tho' not nearly as much as the difference between an cabrio and a coupe.<p>For what it's worth, in the UK the resale value of the cabrio is much better than the coupe (oddly given the disasterous state of our weather). I ran a 328i cabrio for 18 months from new, then sold it back to a dealer at trade proce for 15% less than the sticker price 18 M earlier.<p>I have to say tho' that the cabrio was huge fun to drive and I used to get admiring glances & comments almost every time I stopped.<p>So in summary my advice is:<br>- if your top priority is performance or handling, get the coupe<br>- if your top priority is resale or what other people think, get the cabrio<p>Good luck whichever you choose!<p>

Simon in UK
01-10-2001, 02:52 PM
... and re the crash protection.....<p>on the road the chance of a rollover is small. On the track it's much higher. If you hit a gravel trap sideways at speed you WILL flip the car. Despite the pop-up bars you'll still get better results from the coupe every time.<p>

-JT///M3
01-11-2001, 11:29 AM
I agree with the other poster who said that they've seen used M3 cabs priced obnoxiously high, especially at dealers. However, there is one issue that might effect the likelihood of getting a good price for the cab upon resale, transmission. I've seen as many as 6 or 7 E36 328ic's at the dealership all at one time, and every single one of them was an autobox. I'd say that upwards of 75% of even the M3 cabs I've seen have also been auto's. It seems that the majority of the cab buyers are more the cruiser types looking for an image car than the sporting, lets have fun driving (not riding in) this car. This may or may not have an impact on the resale of the E46 cabs. It might not have any impact though since there won't be an auto offered the first year (right?). Once the SMG is available, you might see a different story.<p>Good luck, and get the cab all the way, resale schmesale. :-)<p>-Jeremy

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index