Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jim
01-22-2001, 01:34 PM
I am seriously considering buying a used E36 M3 or new E46 M3, but would like to hear comments about the reliability<br>of the M3 or BMW cars in general. <p>Currently, driving a 95 Integra GSR, which has been revving happily without a single problem.<p>///M3 is a GREAT car! just a little worry about making frequent trips to the dealer for little problems here and there.

DaveP
01-22-2001, 02:13 PM
I too am thinking about an E46 M3 in my future at some point... probably around '03. In light of my experiences over the last year and a half with my '99 E46 328i, I've come to the conclusion that BMWs are <b>not</i> the most reliable cars in the world, and are backed by substandard dealer service departments. I've had nagging issues with my 328i that I wouldn't expect in a $40k car, and I don't expect that the M3 is going to be any better.<p>That's part of the reason why I'm going to wait a couple of years into the E46 M3 run - hoping that at least some of the inevitable bugs get worked out.<p>Personally, I'm approaching the M3 as a tempermental, high maintenance, quasi-exotic. Don't expect the same level of trouble-free driving that you've experienced with your Acura.<p><br><i><br>I am seriously considering buying a used E36 M3 or new E46 M3, but would like to hear comments about the reliability<br>of the M3 or BMW cars in general. <p>Currently, driving a 95 Integra GSR, which has been revving happily without a single problem.<p>///M3 is a GREAT car! just a little worry about making frequent trips to the dealer for little problems here and there.<p></i><br>

Chris
01-22-2001, 02:39 PM
My '00 323 with about 9 k has been (so far) as solid, reliable and trouble free a car as I have ever owned including a 90 Accord. I've had a couple of lemons including a 90 Camry and a 93 Exploder. I made the manufacturers take them back, not an easy task. I'm curious how reliable the E36 M3s have been and particularly the Euro spec ones.

DMS
01-22-2001, 03:27 PM
As an owner for 4 years of E36 M3 w/ 55+K miles, I can tell you that the car is much more reliable than I would have thought. I've only had 2 problems with the car, rear shock tower mounts and climate control both covered under warranty. Both of these I understand are fairly common problems with the E36.

DaveP
01-22-2001, 03:36 PM
That's good to hear. Likewise, my problems with my 328i were also very common to the E46 (airbag light and defective thermostat), and also covered under warrantee. These two issues resulted in five trips to the dealer however, with the final visit netting my car 9 consecutive days in the shop. Yes, it's more of a problem with the dealer service department rather than the car itself, but it nevertheless affected me as a car owner and I don't really care about who the finger gets pointed at.<p>Anyway, the real point is that no car is perfect. As long as we don't expect perfection, we won't be let down.<p><p><p><i><br>As an owner for 4 years of E36 M3 w/ 55+K miles, I can tell you that the car is much more reliable than I would have thought. I've only had 2 problems with the car, rear shock tower mounts and climate control both covered under warranty. Both of these I understand are fairly common problems with the E36.<p></i><br>

Ray Koch
01-22-2001, 04:09 PM
I have 41K miles on my 97 and have had only very minor problems. The mysterious dissappearing coolant and intermintant brake light circuit warning that a lot of M3 owners have seen. Other than that the car is as solid as the day I bought it. The only thing I should note is that the Nappa leather will wear, especially on the driver's side bolster if you don't use Lexol reguarly

Boy Racer
01-22-2001, 04:45 PM
<i><br>I am seriously considering buying a used E36 M3 or new E46 M3, but would like to hear comments about the reliability<br>of the M3 or BMW cars in general. <p>Currently, driving a 95 Integra GSR, which has been revving happily without a single problem.<p>///M3 is a GREAT car! just a little worry about making frequent trips to the dealer for little problems here and there.<p></i> Go out and get an e-36 M3 they are bullet proof. I race mine at the track all the time, and have a bunch of perfomance modifications, the car is simply awesome. No major problems, but small stuff like the drivers door adjustment, minor rattles that can be fixed, stuff like that. Overall though, the car has been a a+ experience.<br>

Eric
01-22-2001, 06:56 PM
My experience with the e36 M3 reflects most of the comments so far: aside from one minor thing easily fixed and covered under the warranty (air bag sensor) or stuff hardly worth bothering about (a couple faint squeeks/rattles), I have had zero trouble in three years of ownership. Never been stranded or had anything significant go wrong at all, and I too have tracked it a few times. Oh, I did warp the brake rotors once after tracking it in massive Florida heat (Oktoberfest at Sebring anyone?), but one can hardly blame the car for that. And even these rotors were replaced under warranty! Some BMW service guys are great... <p>So unless you are expecting total perfection, my guess would be that you will be quite pleased with e36 M3 reliability.<p>The engine problems w/ the e46 M3 do concern me slightly, but not enough to prevent me from buying. I'm trusting them to work out the problems, and the warranty will cover problems anyway.

Mark
01-22-2001, 09:01 PM
<i><br>I am seriously considering buying a used E36 M3 or new E46 M3, but would like to hear comments about the reliability<br>of the M3 or BMW cars in general. <p>Currently, driving a 95 Integra GSR, which has been revving happily without a single problem.<p>///M3 is a GREAT car! just a little worry about making frequent trips to the dealer for little problems here and there.<p></i>I had 95 E36 M3 had no problems during 44K miles.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index