Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Evan...(more)
01-26-2001, 04:37 PM
OK, I ahve made up my mind, after going back and forth and the dealer asking me "Is that you final answer" I have placed my order and choose Carbon Black with Black Leather. I want to make the inside look just like the M5 with Lemans blue inserts. I want the doors the seats the back seats, everything. Now, here are my questions. Will it be BMW leather, How long will it take to put in, How much (ball park) are we looking at. Also if I want to do the Alcantar Headliner what are we looking at as well?

JonM
01-26-2001, 05:38 PM
Evan,<p>First off, let me say I saw your reply to my "did you get to see Vicky's Kyalami" post and I thought it was a damn riot. For the record, you may be right.<p>Answers:<p>I will not use BMW leather unless you think you have to have it. My leather is superior in every way and it cost the same. When you hold a piece of Nappa leather (I have an Imola Red BMW hide in stock) in one hand and mine in the other, it will be obvious to you too.<p>The doors panels are easy. Rear panels are easy. I would recommend you do the shift and e-brake boots as well. <p>The seats are not easy and they <i>may</i> be beyond the capability of my machine. That said, I can put you in touch with an excellent upholstery guy in North Hollywood. <p>Since you would have the first E46 M3 seats, the template making would take a lot of time. Down time will be 2 weeks or more. <p>Alcantara or leather headliner could be done in about 3 hours while you wait. I have alcantara samples in stock, but you should know it costs almost as much as leather. You might just want to go the 996 way and go leather headliner.<p>You would order a whole hide of blue leather for your car. The material would cost ~$650. Maybe more, maybe less depending on quality/grade. I would be willing to do your work at no charge (door panels, boots), but the professional in North Hollywood would not. For reference, the labor he charges me on a pair of Z3 leather roll hoop covers is $150. Does not include leather, pad or zipper. You could hit $1000+ pretty quickly if he has to put 60-80 hours into your car.<p>Another option is to rip out the gloss black trim and cover it. The down time would be zero (I have a set in stock) and it would be much cheaper. It may be a more custom look too.<p>Let me know if you are in LA (Melrose/Fairfax) sometime soon. We should get together and talk details and order you some dyelot samples for inspection.<p>Jon Maddux

Evan...(more)
01-26-2001, 06:00 PM
Answers:<p>I will not use BMW leather unless you think you have to have it. My leather is superior in every way and it cost the same. When you hold a piece of Nappa leather (I have an Imola Red BMW hide in stock) in one hand and mine in the other, it will be obvious to you too.<p>The doors panels are easy. Rear panels are easy. I would recommend you do the shift and e-brake boots as well. <p>The seats are not easy and they may be beyond the capability of my machine. That said, I can put you in touch with an excellent upholstery guy in North Hollywood. <p>Since you would have the first E46 M3 seats, the template making would take a lot of time. Down time will be 2 weeks or more. <p>Alcantara or leather headliner could be done in about 3 hours while you wait. I have alcantara samples in stock, but you should know it costs almost as much as leather. You might just want to go the 996 way and go leather headliner.<p>You would order a whole hide of blue leather for your car. The material would cost ~$650. Maybe more, maybe less depending on quality/grade. I would be willing to do your work at no charge (door panels, boots), but the professional in North Hollywood would not. For reference, the labor he charges me on a pair of Z3 leather roll hoop covers is $150. Does not include leather, pad or zipper. You could hit $1000+ pretty quickly if he has to put 60-80 hours into your car.<p>Another option is to rip out the gloss black trim and cover it. The down time would be zero (I have a set in stock) and it would be much cheaper. It may be a more custom look too.<p>Let me know if you are in LA (Melrose/Fairfax) sometime soon. We should get together and talk details and order you some dyelot samples for inspection.<p>Jon Maddux<p></i>Expect a two week down time. I thought two days at most. I want to do the shift boot and e-brake boot in Alcantra. As for the roof liner, what do I do about the visors and the rear shelf and all of the other little parts they may be Alacantra? Should I go with that or do real Sweade? As far as the inserts why would it take so long? I am not a seta man and do not understand. As far as I can tell it is simply taking out the seat and stithcing in new leather. Maybe I remeber Home Ec. being easier.

JonM
01-26-2001, 06:14 PM
<i>I thought two days at most. I want to do the shift boot and e-brake boot in Alcantra. As for the roof liner, what do I do about the visors and the rear shelf and all of the other little parts they may be Alacantra? Should I go with that or do real Sweade? As far as the inserts why would it take so long? I am not a seta man and do not understand. As far as I can tell it is simply taking out the seat and stithcing in new leather. Maybe I remeber Home Ec. being easier.</i><p>I never took Home Ec. ;-)<p>It's all in the quality of the work. It may be less than 2 weeks down time, but I can't say for sure. We should meet in North Hollywood and we can get an exact estimate.<p>Alcantara vs. suede: you won't be able to tell. Alcantara supposedly has better durability so I would steer you that way. You could certainly do the package tray and the visors to match if you wish.<p>Jon Maddux

Evan...(more)
01-26-2001, 06:37 PM
</i>I really want to get a sample piece of leather from you along with colors. Maybe I want to go with a slighty darker leather then Lemans.<br>

JonM
01-26-2001, 06:44 PM
I think you should vary from LeMans a bit. If you want to do something custom, you might as well be a bit different. There are literally hundreds of colors to choose from.

Peter
01-26-2001, 08:17 PM
<i><br>Evan,<p>First off, let me say I saw your reply to my "did you get to see Vicky's Kyalami" post and I thought it was a damn riot. For the record, you may be right.<p>Answers:<p>I will not use BMW leather unless you think you have to have it. My leather is superior in every way and it cost the same. When you hold a piece of Nappa leather (I have an Imola Red BMW hide in stock) in one hand and mine in the other, it will be obvious to you too.<p>The doors panels are easy. Rear panels are easy. I would recommend you do the shift and e-brake boots as well. <p>The seats are not easy and they may be beyond the capability of my machine. That said, I can put you in touch with an excellent upholstery guy in North Hollywood. <p>Since you would have the first E46 M3 seats, the template making would take a lot of time. Down time will be 2 weeks or more. <p>Alcantara or leather headliner could be done in about 3 hours while you wait. I have alcantara samples in stock, but you should know it costs almost as much as leather. You might just want to go the 996 way and go leather headliner.<p>You would order a whole hide of blue leather for your car. The material would cost ~$650. Maybe more, maybe less depending on quality/grade. I would be willing to do your work at no charge (door panels, boots), but the professional in North Hollywood would not. For reference, the labor he charges me on a pair of Z3 leather roll hoop covers is $150. Does not include leather, pad or zipper. You could hit $1000+ pretty quickly if he has to put 60-80 hours into your car.<p>Another option is to rip out the gloss black trim and cover it. The down time would be zero (I have a set in stock) and it would be much cheaper. It may be a more custom look too.<p>Let me know if you are in LA (Melrose/Fairfax) sometime soon. We should get together and talk details and order you some dyelot samples for inspection.<p>Jon Maddux<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index