Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jon
01-29-2001, 04:42 PM
Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><i><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<br></i>

SnoW
01-29-2001, 05:08 PM
Post it back on the same vette board it was on originally, and post a link so we can see the replys.

Jon
01-29-2001, 05:12 PM
the search function here is down. If someone else knows where it was, please let them know. It would also be good to mention the user who posted the original story. I wonder if he is a regular over there or just went there to post som B.S.<p>I'm sure he got a good laugh over all the controversy his post generated, but now he's busted.<p>-Jon<p><i><br>Post it back on the same vette board it was on originally, and post a link so we can see the replys.<p></i><br>

Steve_D
01-29-2001, 05:18 PM

Steve_D
01-29-2001, 05:19 PM

lionsfan54
01-29-2001, 07:00 PM
I hope that letter was real but it seems almost too good to be true. Is there any way you can "authenticate" this email?<br><i><br>Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<p></i><br>

Jon
01-29-2001, 07:49 PM
I sent the message to Motor Trend. That's what I got back. Nobody else knew I sent the message so I believe it came from Motor Trend. Plus, it is definitely from Perersen Publishing as shown below.<p>The header looked like this:<br><blockquote><br>From kiewiczj@emapUSA.com Fri Jan 26 14:54:36 2001<br>Received: from [209.179.84.200] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id MHotMailBC3B4ADB00B6D821EECFD1B354C862E50; Fri Jan 26 14:53:20 2001<br>Received: from GW01-DOM-Message_Server by mail.petersenpub.com<br> with Novell_GroupWise; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:55 -0800<br>Message-Id: <sa718ecf.087@mail.petersenpub.com><br>X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.3.1<br>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:52 -0800<br>From: "John Kiewicz" <kiewiczj@emapUSA.com><br>To: <removedforprivacy@hotmail.com><br>Subject: M3 Vs. C5<br>Mime-Version: 1.0<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII<br>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable<br>Content-Disposition: inline<br></blockquote><p>So it's just a question of believing me. Why would I lie? It would be stupid and pointless. I was quite surprised to get this email. It's always nice when a total fraud is exposed. Unfortunately, I think the corvetteforum may have deleted the original post and, if so, I cannot find the guy's user id and post that along with the email.<p>-Jon<p><i><br>I hope that letter was real but it seems almost too good to be true. Is there any way you can "authenticate" this email?<p>Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<p><br></i><br>

lionsfan54
01-30-2001, 09:45 AM
<i><br>I sent the message to Motor Trend. That's what I got back. Nobody else knew I sent the message so I believe it came from Motor Trend. Plus, it is definitely from Perersen Publishing as shown below.<p>The header looked like this:<br><blockquote><br>From kiewiczj@emapUSA.com Fri Jan 26 14:54:36 2001<br>Received: from [209.179.84.200] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id MHotMailBC3B4ADB00B6D821EECFD1B354C862E50; Fri Jan 26 14:53:20 2001<br>Received: from GW01-DOM-Message_Server by mail.petersenpub.com<br> with Novell_GroupWise; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:55 -0800<br>Message-Id: <sa718ecf.087@mail.petersenpub.com><br>X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.3.1<br>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:52 -0800<br>From: "John Kiewicz" <kiewiczj@emapUSA.com><br>To: <removedforprivacy@hotmail.com><br>Subject: M3 Vs. C5<br>Mime-Version: 1.0<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII<br>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable<br>Content-Disposition: inline<br></blockquote><p>So it's just a question of believing me. Why would I lie? It would be stupid and pointless. I was quite surprised to get this email. It's always nice when a total fraud is exposed. Unfortunately, I think the corvetteforum may have deleted the original post and, if so, I cannot find the guy's user id and post that along with the email.<p>-Jon<p><br>I hope that letter was real but it seems almost too good to be true. Is there any way you can "authenticate" this email?<p>Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<p><br></i><br>

lionsfan54
01-30-2001, 09:46 AM
It just seemed too good to be true, but I am hoping it is true. Please don't get offended but put yourself in my shoes, you would be skpetical too.<br><i><br>I sent the message to Motor Trend. That's what I got back. Nobody else knew I sent the message so I believe it came from Motor Trend. Plus, it is definitely from Perersen Publishing as shown below.<p>The header looked like this:<br><blockquote><br>From kiewiczj@emapUSA.com Fri Jan 26 14:54:36 2001<br>Received: from [209.179.84.200] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id MHotMailBC3B4ADB00B6D821EECFD1B354C862E50; Fri Jan 26 14:53:20 2001<br>Received: from GW01-DOM-Message_Server by mail.petersenpub.com<br> with Novell_GroupWise; Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:55 -0800<br>Message-Id: <sa718ecf.087@mail.petersenpub.com><br>X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 5.5.3.1<br>Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:52 -0800<br>From: "John Kiewicz" <kiewiczj@emapUSA.com><br>To: <removedforprivacy@hotmail.com><br>Subject: M3 Vs. C5<br>Mime-Version: 1.0<br>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII<br>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable<br>Content-Disposition: inline<br></blockquote><p>So it's just a question of believing me. Why would I lie? It would be stupid and pointless. I was quite surprised to get this email. It's always nice when a total fraud is exposed. Unfortunately, I think the corvetteforum may have deleted the original post and, if so, I cannot find the guy's user id and post that along with the email.<p>-Jon<p><br>I hope that letter was real but it seems almost too good to be true. Is there any way you can "authenticate" this email?<p>Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<p><br></i><br>

Skeeter
02-01-2001, 01:21 PM
<i><br>Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<p></i><br>

Skeeter
02-01-2001, 01:21 PM
<i><br>Hey, you guys might remember this. Someone posted a link to a story on a Corvette board a while back. It involved racing with a new M3 being driven by a Motor Trend reporter where the C5 beat the M3 "by 7 car lengths" of something like that.<p>I sent an email through Motor Trend's website to either inform them of their reporter's behavior or find out the truth. They actually replied. Here it is:<p><br>Hey, thanks for sending us that great e-mail regarding the BMW M3 Vs. Corvette street race on the streets of Florida. We got a good laugh at this story especially considering that its totally fake. First of all, BMW has not yet imported its M3 press cars to North America so it would be a bit tough to have had one to street race. I am the only Motor Trend staff member thats driven the new M3 and I did such in Spain. Second, if we did get the car it would have gone to our L.A. office not Jacksonville, FL. What the hell is in Jacksonville? Third, the M3 will run 13.2- or 13.3-second e.t.s which would make it a tie (or faster) than a new (non-Z06) Vette....so his "stock" Vette must have been pretty non-stock to have been able to beat the M3 by seven car lengths in the fictitious race. Sorry, but the story is a total sham. Feel free to pass along the word of this fake story to the Corvette website that you saw it on, or have the M3 vs. Vette author contact me personally. If you read any more "Motor Trend goes street racing" stories be sure to send them our way...we always love a good laugh. <p> John Kiewicz<br> Motor Trend Magazine<p></i><br>

Skeeter
02-01-2001, 01:23 PM
I too have spanked the M2 and the M5 in my c-5.

Skeeter
02-01-2001, 01:23 PM
I too have spanked the M3 and the M5 in my c-5.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index