Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

lk
02-20-2001, 11:39 PM
I wonder how BMWFS will handle the dealer price gouges when it comes to leasing this fiscally suicidal vehicle (aka E46 M3).<p>Since they base the residuals on a % of MSRP, it seems to me that BMWFS would never pay out the extra "market conditions" money-grab that your local stealer will be adding to your deal. why would they pay $60,000+ for a car that will NEVER be worth even close to that much in terms of loan collateral? i really don't think they will at all.<p>so friends, you should be ready to fork over a cool $10,000+ in pure dealer cash over and above your normal startup fees to get into an M3. that's nasty!<p>so if you wreck your car in week 1, you've blown 12 *******-thousand dollars to ride around in somebody else's car for a week/month/year.<p>even if you can avoid totalling it, you're still just renting a car for unbeliveably high rates. please, some of you really need to get your heads out of your asses and come back to earth on this M3.

Steve_D
02-20-2001, 11:46 PM

lk
02-21-2001, 12:00 AM
i'm not old, bald, short, or fat. so i don't need a 330hp GT coupe to compensate.<p>the reason why i CAN afford it, is because i'm smart enough to know when to avoid horrible financial mistakes that so many of you guys are literally lining up to make. <p>the thrill of this car will wear off LONG before that 4-digit car payment will....or you're just going to have to give the car back to it's TRUE OWNER in a few short years.<p>as a point of reference, a $1500 car payment is the same as a mortgage payment on a $200,000 house!<p>or, looking at it from a home shopper's viewpoint, being saddled with that much monthly debt will disqualify you from buying $200,000 worth of house..so instead of shopping for $300,000 homes, you'll be looking for a $100,000 condo! what will $100k buy in YOUR area? how funny will it look to be parking a $60,000 car in a neighborhood of $100,000 homes? LOL!<p>cmon folks, getting involved with this car is SUICIDAL unless you are a 50yr-old doctor in a mid-life crisis. there are so many more things to enjoy with your life than be a slave to a car payment.<p><br>

Bigt
02-21-2001, 12:11 AM
You are more than correct. Even more important is if you are considering buying a home (especially your first home) in the next 3 years (ie time of the lease) and you should consider buying the home FIRST and then the car...car loans/leases are considerably easier than mortgages to get. When was the last time you heard of someone looking for a home/ buying and moving on all in the same day....ie getting the car the same day you walk on to the dealers lot. A house appreciates (usually). IMHO, if you are thinking of a home and you make less than 100K....and you want to buy in the low 200S ( assuming usual debt ratios and 5-10% down) you should NOT buy a car with a nearly $1K per month nut. That payment may reduce your buying power by considerably more than you think...You cant live in a car, and the potential tax benefits arent there for a car..just my .02.<p><p>i'm not old, bald, short, or fat. so i don't need a 330hp GT coupe to compensate.<p>the reason why i CAN afford it, is because i'm smart enough to know when to avoid horrible financial mistakes that so many of you guys are literally lining up to make. <p>the thrill of this car will wear off LONG before that 4-digit car payment will....or you're just going to have to give the car back to it's TRUE OWNER in a few short years.<p>as a point of reference, a $1500 car payment is the same as a mortgage payment on a $200,000 house!<p>or, looking at it from a home shopper's viewpoint, being saddled with that much monthly debt will disqualify you from buying $200,000 worth of house..so instead of shopping for $300,000 homes, you'll be looking for a $100,000 condo! what will $100k buy in YOUR area? how funny will it look to be parking a $60,000 car in a neighborhood of $100,000 homes? LOL!<p>cmon folks, getting involved with this car is SUICIDAL unless you are a 50yr-old doctor in a mid-life crisis. there are so many more things to enjoy with your life than be a slave to a car payment.<p><br></i><br>

Steve_D
02-21-2001, 12:18 AM
AFFORDING it means it won't cut into your lifestyle, or prevent you from doing other things you want to do. Big difference between buy and afford.<p>BTW, FWIW, I'm 30, have a house, wife, and son already, and am neither fat nor bald.

hugh
02-21-2001, 12:45 AM
if your goal is to save others from financial misfortune you might try a little compassion. If you are just trying to annoy people than no changes are required.

Jon Shafer
02-21-2001, 12:57 AM
All of that extra "market adjustment" will have to come as a capitalized cost reduction.<p><i><br>I wonder how BMWFS will handle the dealer price gouges when it comes to leasing this fiscally suicidal vehicle (aka E46 M3).<p>Since they base the residuals on a % of MSRP, it seems to me that BMWFS would never pay out the extra "market conditions" money-grab that your local stealer will be adding to your deal. why would they pay $60,000+ for a car that will NEVER be worth even close to that much in terms of loan collateral? i really don't think they will at all.<p>so friends, you should be ready to fork over a cool $10,000+ in pure dealer cash over and above your normal startup fees to get into an M3. that's nasty!<p>so if you wreck your car in week 1, you've blown 12 *******-thousand dollars to ride around in somebody else's car for a week/month/year.<p>even if you can avoid totalling it, you're still just renting a car for unbeliveably high rates. please, some of you really need to get your heads out of your asses and come back to earth on this M3.<p></i><br>

Andy Chi
02-21-2001, 01:03 AM
Well, obviously you do not live in LA or the Bay Area. Over here, 200K will not get you ANYTHING worth living in. I do ok, as do most of my friends, but 100K a year is not even close for us to be able to afford anything in the 300K's. 350 will buy you a home in the gasp, Valley; and will only buy you a condo on the Westside.<p>If you are nto married and both making the 100's, there is close to no way that you can buy a real house on the Westside.<p>So, a lot of single young dudes are blowing their $$ on cars, nice cars, because until we get married (to presumably smart and beautiful women who also makes real money), we can'[t afford houses, period.<p>Just FYI... Oh and NO, I will not move. Snow and Bubba state troopers in most other states makes a mansion unattractive to me. Where else can do you get decent highway cops (CHP's are for the most part professional bunch and are not oppresive about speed enforcement, condusive to M3 kind of driving), ski on the mountain and rollerblade on the beach on the same day, incredible food of every kind (not your average bland east coast food), and California girls;-)<p>Andy<br>98 M3 black/black

hugh
02-21-2001, 01:10 AM
are due out.<p>I'm hoping my dealer will have a M Coupe on the list for me, but we'll see.<p>Hugh

Bigt
02-21-2001, 02:48 AM
I will be the LAST person on earth to argue with that! I friggen HATE winter in the mid-west. BTW, from what I have been reading so-cal may soon by going through a bit of a housing slow down so keep an eye towards the market if you care. Buying now (house) would be stupid, wait for a year or two when its a buyers market. In the meantime HECK YES get a cool ride!<p><p><p>Well, obviously you do not live in LA or the Bay Area. Over here, 200K will not get you ANYTHING worth living in. I do ok, as do most of my friends, but 100K a year is not even close for us to be able to afford anything in the 300K's. 350 will buy you a home in the gasp, Valley; and will only buy you a condo on the Westside.<p>If you are nto married and both making the 100's, there is close to no way that you can buy a real house on the Westside.<p>So, a lot of single young dudes are blowing their $$ on cars, nice cars, because until we get married (to presumably smart and beautiful women who also makes real money), we can'[t afford houses, period.<p>Just FYI... Oh and NO, I will not move. Snow and Bubba state troopers in most other states makes a mansion unattractive to me. Where else can do you get decent highway cops (CHP's are for the most part professional bunch and are not oppresive about speed enforcement, condusive to M3 kind of driving), ski on the mountain and rollerblade on the beach on the same day, incredible food of every kind (not your average bland east coast food), and California girls;-)<p>Andy<br>98 M3 black/black<p></i><br>

Chris Moore
02-21-2001, 04:04 AM
>>Where else can do you...ski on the mountain and rollerblade on the beach on the same day, incredible food of every kind (not your average bland east coast food), and California girls;-)<<<p>Oh, yes! Well put, there's a lot to be thankful for in LA...and your comments on house buying are on the mark, too...in the South Bay, 350k buys a shack! How do people do it?<p>-c

Bcar
02-21-2001, 08:31 AM
Im still going to buy one and it will cut into my life a little. Not much just these past few months when im trying to save everything for a down payment. But its not a problem, im still used to the college mode of living so not much has changed for me. Just my money market acct is getting a LOT bigger...<p>just my take on this, not everyones...

Bcar
02-21-2001, 08:36 AM
"the thrill of this car will wear off LONG before that 4-digit car payment will...."<p>If you really think that this is true they YOU SHOULD NOT GET THIS CAR... Really this is a drivers car, not for someone who just "likes" cars. If you are not going to have a ton of fun everytime you turn that key then you have no business buying one... (IMHO)<p>

LeeJacque
02-21-2001, 09:49 AM
Then why are you here on the e46 m3 board?<p><i><br>I wonder how BMWFS will handle the dealer price gouges when it comes to leasing this fiscally suicidal vehicle (aka E46 M3).<p>Since they base the residuals on a % of MSRP, it seems to me that BMWFS would never pay out the extra "market conditions" money-grab that your local stealer will be adding to your deal. why would they pay $60,000+ for a car that will NEVER be worth even close to that much in terms of loan collateral? i really don't think they will at all.<p>so friends, you should be ready to fork over a cool $10,000+ in pure dealer cash over and above your normal startup fees to get into an M3. that's nasty!<p>so if you wreck your car in week 1, you've blown 12 *******-thousand dollars to ride around in somebody else's car for a week/month/year.<p>even if you can avoid totalling it, you're still just renting a car for unbeliveably high rates. please, some of you really need to get your heads out of your asses and come back to earth on this M3.<p></i><br>

2002m3
02-21-2001, 11:15 AM
<i><p><br></i><p>Man, those kinds of costs would drive me crazy! <p>I guess it is easy to take for granted how much cheaper that kind of stuff is here in the midwest! (Although the Winters do suck)

Lurker
02-21-2001, 02:10 PM
200k gets a pretty nice house. No snow. But, hey, no California girls or beach, either. Good blend for me, tho.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index