Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

loki
03-26-2001, 01:14 PM
Based on my experience importing cars, this has got to be illegal. I'm not sure how their going about registering it but buyer beware.<p>That said, anyone know a place that can get a RS4 in the states? ;)

Jon
03-26-2001, 01:23 PM

F92A
03-26-2001, 01:43 PM
I think in your life time, you can bring one car in to this country (US). I may be wrong.

Bruce
03-26-2001, 01:58 PM
this is my impression, it could be wrong<p>depends on WHO the person importing the car... It is my understanding that some foreigners can bring in cars if they are living in the states (don't know the exact rules). There was a story in the Roundel with in teh past 2 years that talked about a CCA member that found a E30 M3 Sport Evo 3 on the streets in Boston. He thought it was a regular E30 M3 with the SPor Evo parts added aftermarket. He found out it was a true Sport Evo 3 and it was imported by a foreigner when he was going to school in the Boston area. He ended buying the car from the individual and was able to register it, but who knows...some people have regiatered Z1s, but it doesn't make them legal.<p>also...adressing the "no sales tax"...it is my experience that "gift taxes" are MUCH more than sales taxes at least in texas. The lady at the tax assesor told my and my dad to sell the car to me for $1 rather than gifting me the car. $0.07 tax vs a lot more (not sure how much more, but it was significant).<br>

Brian_R170
03-26-2001, 02:00 PM
The buyer will not be able to bring the car into the U.S. without going through EPA and DOT certifications. A certified importer will charge $10K for DOT compliance, even if they don't do a damn thing. We already know that the Euro M3 doesn't meet EPA certification, so some things will have to be changed about emissions, too. Plus, there will be a restriction of annual mileage and yearly emissions testing with the EPA in addition to state/local emissions tests.<p>No thank you!<br>

loki
03-26-2001, 02:05 PM
...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.

loki
03-26-2001, 02:09 PM
If you are a foriegn resident, you're allowed to import a car that's registered to you and drive it however many miles for up to 1 year, at which point the vehicle needs to be deported. This is how a Smart car was cruising around Berkeley, CA for awhile... not sure if said foriegner stays longer than a year but the car cannot be sold to a third party per my understanding.<p>There are all kind of ways to grey import a car tho so YMMV.

m aazing
03-26-2001, 02:14 PM
Do americans pay both federal and state tax?<p>In Canada, and you all know that we are taxed to death, if you buy from a dealer, you pay both taxes, whereas if you buy private, you pay only provincial (state) tax. Could there be a possible savings there?<p>And, if you declare it as a gift, you can get away with not paying tax, but I think it's only once.<p>This "gift" thing seems to be a popular on ebay - at least for shipping things between Canada and the US - not sure why exactly. There could be many reasons.<p><i><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p></i><br>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 02:18 PM
<i><br>The buyer will not be able to bring the car into the U.S. without going through EPA and DOT certifications. A certified importer will charge $10K for DOT compliance, even if they don't do a damn thing. We already know that the Euro M3 doesn't meet EPA certification, so some things will have to be changed about emissions, too. Plus, there will be a restriction of annual mileage and yearly emissions testing with the EPA in addition to state/local emissions tests.<p>No thank you!<p></i><br>

Jason
03-26-2001, 02:34 PM
<i><br>Do americans pay both federal and state tax?<p>In Canada, and you all know that we are taxed to death, if you buy from a dealer, you pay both taxes, whereas if you buy private, you pay only provincial (state) tax. Could there be a possible savings there?<p>And, if you declare it as a gift, you can get away with not paying tax, but I think it's only once.<p>This "gift" thing seems to be a popular on ebay - at least for shipping things between Canada and the US - not sure why exactly. There could be many reasons.<p><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p><br></i>What are the taxes like in Canada? For example what would be a total % on a new M3?<br>

Jon
03-26-2001, 02:41 PM
I was pointing out the humor in the phrase "sold as a gift."<p><i><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p></i><br>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 02:42 PM
<i><p>Do americans pay both federal and state tax?<p>In Canada, and you all know that we are taxed to death, if you buy from a dealer, you pay both taxes, whereas if you buy private, you pay only provincial (state) tax. Could there be a possible savings there?<p>And, if you declare it as a gift, you can get away with not paying tax, but I think it's only once.<p>This "gift" thing seems to be a popular on ebay - at least for shipping things between Canada and the US - not sure why exactly. There could be many reasons.<p><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p><br>What are the taxes like in Canada? For example what would be a total % on a new M3?<p></i><br>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 02:45 PM
Maybe it's not as bad as some places, but we pay 7% federal tax and 8% provincial tax on almost everything that we buy - including cars.<p>And yes, someone will pipe up and say how great we have it with healthcare etc, but it's still alot.<p><i><p>Do americans pay both federal and state tax?<p>In Canada, and you all know that we are taxed to death, if you buy from a dealer, you pay both taxes, whereas if you buy private, you pay only provincial (state) tax. Could there be a possible savings there?<p>And, if you declare it as a gift, you can get away with not paying tax, but I think it's only once.<p>This "gift" thing seems to be a popular on ebay - at least for shipping things between Canada and the US - not sure why exactly. There could be many reasons.<p><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p><br>What are the taxes like in Canada? For example what would be a total % on a new M3?<p><br></i><br>

Jason
03-26-2001, 03:41 PM
<i><br>Maybe it's not as bad as some places, but we pay 7% federal tax and 8% provincial tax on almost everything that we buy - including cars.<p>And yes, someone will pipe up and say how great we have it with healthcare etc, but it's still alot.<p><br>Do americans pay both federal and state tax?<p>In Canada, and you all know that we are taxed to death, if you buy from a dealer, you pay both taxes, whereas if you buy private, you pay only provincial (state) tax. Could there be a possible savings there?<p>And, if you declare it as a gift, you can get away with not paying tax, but I think it's only once.<p>This "gift" thing seems to be a popular on ebay - at least for shipping things between Canada and the US - not sure why exactly. There could be many reasons.<p><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p><br>What are the taxes like in Canada? For example what would be a total % on a new M3?<p><br></i>Wow! For me in NY im looking at 7% state and luxury tax which is now 3% of total over $30k. That makes the effective tax rate for the M3 at 8.35%.<br>

CYT
03-26-2001, 04:01 PM
you can bring any euro or japanese spec cars into the States and drive it legally.<br>that's how my friends cruising in Skyline and Lancer here in NY.<br>

KD
03-26-2001, 04:09 PM
so I am not a resident here, I am studying here and will be here until I finish my MBA(at least 4 years from now). Does this mean can import a car from Europe and take it out from the Canadian border and bring it back once a year and still can keep it?

KD
03-26-2001, 04:14 PM

nick
03-26-2001, 04:46 PM
Master Key! (to your car)..<br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=563615036<p>And Euro M3! COOL I WANT ONE!<br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=572150751<p>Nick..

m aazing
03-26-2001, 04:59 PM
Tax issues, plus the value of your dollar compared to ours are two large reasons why I had to sign a "will not export to the U.S. for two years" type of waiver.<p><p><i><p>Maybe it's not as bad as some places, but we pay 7% federal tax and 8% provincial tax on almost everything that we buy - including cars.<p>And yes, someone will pipe up and say how great we have it with healthcare etc, but it's still alot.<p><br>Do americans pay both federal and state tax?<p>In Canada, and you all know that we are taxed to death, if you buy from a dealer, you pay both taxes, whereas if you buy private, you pay only provincial (state) tax. Could there be a possible savings there?<p>And, if you declare it as a gift, you can get away with not paying tax, but I think it's only once.<p>This "gift" thing seems to be a popular on ebay - at least for shipping things between Canada and the US - not sure why exactly. There could be many reasons.<p><br>...wait till you try and register that car! CA DMV will charge you tax on whatever you declare the value of the car is, gift or not.<p>All that statement means is that the seller will get to pocket as much of the profit as possible.... and if you think you can get away with paying less tax by declaring a lower value at the DMV, it's a gamble that you'll burn yourself should you ever need to make a claim if something happens to your car.<p><br>What are the taxes like in Canada? For example what would be a total % on a new M3?<p><br>Wow! For me in NY im looking at 7% state and luxury tax which is now 3% of total over $30k. That makes the effective tax rate for the M3 at 8.35%.<p></i><br>

Andy Chi
03-26-2001, 11:34 PM
<i><br>Tax issues, plus the value of your dollar compared to ours are two large reasons why I had to sign a "will not export to the U.S. for two years" type of waiver.<br></i><p>Hmm, isn't that totally un-NAFTA? And is this kind of waiver really legal? Because at least in America, you cannot ask the court to enforce illegal contracts (eg, you signed a piece a paper selling yourself to another person as a slave).<p>Andy<br>98 M3 black/black

m aazing
03-27-2001, 10:44 AM
It may very well be totally unenforceable, but I'm sure it will serve as a scare tactic to most.<p><i><p>Tax issues, plus the value of your dollar compared to ours are two large reasons why I had to sign a "will not export to the U.S. for two years" type of waiver.<p>Hmm, isn't that totally un-NAFTA? And is this kind of waiver really legal? Because at least in America, you cannot ask the court to enforce illegal contracts (eg, you signed a piece a paper selling yourself to another person as a slave).<p>Andy<br>98 M3 black/black<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index