Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

E46 Maybe....
03-26-2001, 04:25 PM
Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... I was leaning more towards Red though, but I may be able to get this one THIS WEEK, as opposed to 6 months...I could have the first one around! What do you all think????

Stephen Golub
03-26-2001, 04:28 PM
For MSRP? If it is, you'd be insane not to take it. Where is this dealer located? <br><i><br>Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... I was leaning more towards Red though, but I may be able to get this one THIS WEEK, as opposed to 6 months...I could have the first one around! What do you all think????<p></i><br>

F92A
03-26-2001, 04:32 PM

SAFROLE
03-26-2001, 04:32 PM

E46 Maybe....
03-26-2001, 04:36 PM
The only thing is color...I have a silver E36 M3 now, and was leaning away from it again...but man, this is hard as hell to pass up. Also, a few others are getting calls about it, so I may not even get it anyway...<p><i><br>Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... I was leaning more towards Red though, but I may be able to get this one THIS WEEK, as opposed to 6 months...I could have the first one around! What do you all think????<p></i><br>

ALEX
03-26-2001, 04:39 PM
I saw the silver at the NJ VPC it looks really plain and pretty bad. If you WANT the red WAIT for the red. Color is a big deal in how well this car looks...the red looks much better even if its only imola. You wont like the silver when you see it in person. Basically if you just rush and take what you dont really want you will regret it in 6 months when you see a red one on the road and his looks like an M3 when yours looks like every other 3 series out there...and believe me every other 3 series is silver. <br>

Adam Roth
03-26-2001, 04:44 PM
<i><br>The only thing is color...I have a silver E36 M3 now, and was leaning away from it again...but man, this is hard as hell to pass up. Also, a few others are getting calls about it, so I may not even get it anyway...<p><br>Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... I was leaning more towards Red though, but I may be able to get this one THIS WEEK, as opposed to 6 months...I could have the first one around! What do you all think????<p><br></i><br>

Jason
03-26-2001, 04:46 PM
<i><br>Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... I was leaning more towards Red though, but I may be able to get this one THIS WEEK, as opposed to 6 months...I could have the first one around! What do you all think????<p></i>Someone needs to go down to BMWNA and slap some people around. The market is tied up for 2 years wait with this car and they are shooting out EXTRA cars?? And don't get me started on the decision to do the Smurf demos.<br>

Tony
03-26-2001, 04:53 PM
<i><br>There are no "extra" cars. This car is obviously from a cancelled order. I think we are going to start seeing a lot of these. An M3 is a discretionary purchase. With the economy going down the toilet, a lot of previous buyers are going to reconsider their decision. Additional pressures are the outrageous lease rates and dearth of list squatters/scalpers that have no intention of taking delivery of the car and possibly getting burned. 6 months from now M3s will be available for less than MSRP! I can't wait!!<br></i><br>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 04:55 PM
You may regret LSB, but you will not regret Silver. It may be a common colour, but that's because it's a great, safe colour. Great resale value, and when they want to show off the lines the best, what colour do they always pick?? Ya - Silver. DO IT<p><i><br>Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... I was leaning more towards Red though, but I may be able to get this one THIS WEEK, as opposed to 6 months...I could have the first one around! What do you all think????<p></i><br>

03-26-2001, 05:01 PM
<i>Sliver always my #1 pick! sweetest...<p>I have a feeling M3 price will coming down soon if you are willing to wait.<p>50,000 + 10,000 tax + tag +10,000 mark up=70G???<p>oh no, not worth it... besides, i heard the steering is light as hell..<p></i>

Bruce
03-26-2001, 05:03 PM
<i>There are no "extra" cars. This car is obviously from a cancelled order. I think we are going to start seeing a lot of these. An M3 is a discretionary purchase. With the economy going down the toilet, a lot of previous buyers are going to reconsider their decision. Additional pressures are the outrageous lease rates and dearth of list squatters/scalpers that have no intention of taking delivery of the car and possibly getting burned. 6 months from now M3s will be available for less than MSRP! I can't wait!!</i><p>you might be right, but BMW does give out occassional extra allocations. They would have know about this car at least 2 months ago though.<br>

ALEX
03-26-2001, 05:04 PM
Your right....every italian manufacturer who wants to show off their lines choses silver...UMMM NO!<p>Ferraris, the most beautiful designed cars out there..look the worst in silver!<p>The problem with the M3 in silver is that it looks like a japanese car almost..like an accord. And although silver is "safe" it never really looks anything more than that. I had a silver mercedes once..and I got it thinking I would like silver..But then one day after waxing it for 2 hours and realizing it looked the same as I started silver was no good for me.<p>And one more thing. BMW makes the one of the worst silvers out there. Silver is safe because it never looks bad, but it also never looks really good. If thats what you want go for it. But seeing the silver next to the imola red, and PY M3's it looks really bad in comparrison. Again Unless you can see them IN PERSON next to ONE ANOTHER its hard to tell which will look better. Having seen them in person I can tell you sliver,fern green, and lsb are the worste colors for this car. It doesnt pick up the lines and I dont know who "they" is. If you want a light color get white it looks a lot better than silver...if you want dark get jet black. Its just impossible for the BMW silver to have a nice luster where it looks very good. If you waited this long to get a "so-so" "ho-hum" color go ahead, but I wouldnt do it.

DC from Cape Cod
03-26-2001, 05:07 PM
Every Regional Rep. has a slush fund of extra allocations he can give out....sometimes these cars are in process and sometimes they can be configured.

m aazing
03-26-2001, 05:09 PM
BMW.<p>I've read that when BMW is designing a new body style, they first (internally) paint it in silver so they can see the lines of the car in a best case scenerio.<p>I've owned several Silver BMWs, so please don't ask me to go and see it in person.<p>You're entitled to your opinion of course, as am I. Silver is a good colour.<p><i><br>Your right....every italian manufacturer who wants to show off their lines choses silver...UMMM NO!<p>Ferraris, the most beautiful designed cars out there..look the worst in silver!<p>The problem with the M3 in silver is that it looks like a japanese car almost..like an accord. And although silver is "safe" it never really looks anything more than that. I had a silver mercedes once..and I got it thinking I would like silver..But then one day after waxing it for 2 hours and realizing it looked the same as I started silver was no good for me.<p>And one more thing. BMW makes the one of the worst silvers out there. Silver is safe because it never looks bad, but it also never looks really good. If thats what you want go for it. But seeing the silver next to the imola red, and PY M3's it looks really bad in comparrison. Again Unless you can see them IN PERSON next to ONE ANOTHER its hard to tell which will look better. Having seen them in person I can tell you sliver,fern green, and lsb are the worste colors for this car. It doesnt pick up the lines and I dont know who "they" is. If you want a light color get white it looks a lot better than silver...if you want dark get jet black. Its just impossible for the BMW silver to have a nice luster where it looks very good. If you waited this long to get a "so-so" "ho-hum" color go ahead, but I wouldnt do it.<p></i><br>

E46 Maybe....
03-26-2001, 05:18 PM
I was told the dealer was not expecting it, but for some reason they got the demo and a 2nd car. They are calling people on the list to see if they want it NOW, but some want to order their own to be safe. They really said this was not an ordered car, just one they happened to receive.<p><i><p>There are no "extra" cars. This car is obviously from a cancelled order. I think we are going to start seeing a lot of these. An M3 is a discretionary purchase. With the economy going down the toilet, a lot of previous buyers are going to reconsider their decision. Additional pressures are the outrageous lease rates and dearth of list squatters/scalpers that have no intention of taking delivery of the car and possibly getting burned. 6 months from now M3s will be available for less than MSRP! I can't wait!!<p></i><br>

Stephen Golub
03-26-2001, 05:22 PM
<i><br>I was told the dealer was not expecting it, but for some reason they got the demo and a 2nd car. They are calling people on the list to see if they want it NOW, but some want to order their own to be safe. They really said this was not an ordered car, just one they happened to receive.<p><br>There are no "extra" cars. This car is obviously from a cancelled order. I think we are going to start seeing a lot of these. An M3 is a discretionary purchase. With the economy going down the toilet, a lot of previous buyers are going to reconsider their decision. Additional pressures are the outrageous lease rates and dearth of list squatters/scalpers that have no intention of taking delivery of the car and possibly getting burned. 6 months from now M3s will be available for less than MSRP! I can't wait!!<p><br></i><br>

ceb
03-26-2001, 05:24 PM
It's pretty much accepted that BMW's look good in silver. Considering the limited number of color choices getting a silver car now is a great opp and resale will be very good. DO IT. (of course my silver car should be here in a few weeks so I'm biased).

ALEX
03-26-2001, 05:28 PM
ohh wait....thats right THEY NEVER USE SILVER to promote a car....and CHROME SHADOW is not silver.

Jason
03-26-2001, 05:33 PM
<i><br>Your right....every italian manufacturer who wants to show off their lines choses silver...UMMM NO!<p>Ferraris, the most beautiful designed cars out there..look the worst in silver!<p>The problem with the M3 in silver is that it looks like a japanese car almost..like an accord. And although silver is "safe" it never really looks anything more than that. I had a silver mercedes once..and I got it thinking I would like silver..But then one day after waxing it for 2 hours and realizing it looked the same as I started silver was no good for me.<p>And one more thing. BMW makes the one of the worst silvers out there. Silver is safe because it never looks bad, but it also never looks really good. If thats what you want go for it. But seeing the silver next to the imola red, and PY M3's it looks really bad in comparrison. Again Unless you can see them IN PERSON next to ONE ANOTHER its hard to tell which will look better. Having seen them in person I can tell you sliver,fern green, and lsb are the worste colors for this car. It doesnt pick up the lines and I dont know who "they" is. If you want a light color get white it looks a lot better than silver...if you want dark get jet black. Its just impossible for the BMW silver to have a nice luster where it looks very good. If you waited this long to get a "so-so" "ho-hum" color go ahead, but I wouldnt do it.<p></i>I will agree with Alex on the fact that BMW's silver isn't great. This morning I parked next to one of those PT Cruisers, a $15k car I believe, and the silver was much better then BMWs. I can't tell you how silly I would feel if I parked my $55k silver M3 next to a silver PT Cruiser and the PT looked better. Color is a personal taste issue I know, but silver should look like silver, not an off white color.<br>

Easy Rhino
03-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Every BMW commercial in recent memory features silver cars.<p><i><br>ohh wait....thats right THEY NEVER USE SILVER to promote a car....and CHROME SHADOW is not silver.<p></i><br>

michaelm
03-26-2001, 05:38 PM
a couple years back was silver. And, oh yeah, the Porsche GT2 that's been making the rounds at this year's auto shows is also silver.<p>I'm not a big silver fan, but the point is that there have been plenty of silver cars at auto shows, and lots of model launches using that colour.<p>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 05:47 PM
This is getting off topic. I have no control over the particular silver formula that BMW chooses. And I beleive that you are at least partially missing the point. I wasn't even suggesting that BMW always releases their cars in Silver, although both michaelm and Easy Rhino make excellent points - but that INTERNALLY, they always paint their prototypes in the early stages Silver. They could be right. They could be wrong, but that's what they do, and they are doing it for some good reason that you and I are not really qualified to second guess.<p>If someone said they had an extra M3 in LSB I'd pass. In silver I'd jump at it. That's my ONLY real point.<p><i><br>ohh wait....thats right THEY NEVER USE SILVER to promote a car....and CHROME SHADOW is not silver.<p></i><br>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 05:51 PM
Well, you'd ask 50 people and get 50 different opinions on that one. You could be right, I've never even taken a second look at the PT Cruiser or any other Chrysler for that matter.<p>I think if park my silver M3 beside a PT Cruiser two things will probably happen.<p>1. People that know what they are looking at, won't care if the M3 is in pink with LSB polka dots - they'll flock to the M3 and...<p>2. Some people will think the PT Cruiser is cooler<p>And that's just sad.<p><i><p>Your right....every italian manufacturer who wants to show off their lines choses silver...UMMM NO!<p>Ferraris, the most beautiful designed cars out there..look the worst in silver!<p>The problem with the M3 in silver is that it looks like a japanese car almost..like an accord. And although silver is "safe" it never really looks anything more than that. I had a silver mercedes once..and I got it thinking I would like silver..But then one day after waxing it for 2 hours and realizing it looked the same as I started silver was no good for me.<p>And one more thing. BMW makes the one of the worst silvers out there. Silver is safe because it never looks bad, but it also never looks really good. If thats what you want go for it. But seeing the silver next to the imola red, and PY M3's it looks really bad in comparrison. Again Unless you can see them IN PERSON next to ONE ANOTHER its hard to tell which will look better. Having seen them in person I can tell you sliver,fern green, and lsb are the worste colors for this car. It doesnt pick up the lines and I dont know who "they" is. If you want a light color get white it looks a lot better than silver...if you want dark get jet black. Its just impossible for the BMW silver to have a nice luster where it looks very good. If you waited this long to get a "so-so" "ho-hum" color go ahead, but I wouldnt do it.<p>I will agree with Alex on the fact that BMW's silver isn't great. This morning I parked next to one of those PT Cruisers, a $15k car I believe, and the silver was much better then BMWs. I can't tell you how silly I would feel if I parked my $55k silver M3 next to a silver PT Cruiser and the PT looked better. Color is a personal taste issue I know, but silver should look like silver, not an off white color.<p></i><br>

waiting with the rest
03-26-2001, 05:54 PM
My dealer told me they were given a "bonus car" this month in addition to their allocation. Imola Red.

ALEX
03-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Like it or not the PT CRUISER has style...the M3 does not have style...it looks like a 3 series to 99.99995 of the world...like it or not its a fact. People flock to PT Cruisers, Vipers, Ferraris, even the TT and Beetle when they where new..because they had NEW STYLE...the M3 is not NEW...people are used to the 3 series by now..and Like I said it doesnt look better than a normal 3 series at all. <p>You have the same problem my dad had. He spent all this money on an AMG ML55 thinking people whould notice it from the ML320...and to this day..no one does. People do not flock to cars that dont look cool. The M3 doesnt not look cool...you wont go "wow" when it drives by....Just spending $55k doesnt mean it has style. The 911 with aero kit..now that is style...the M3 has no style over the 3 series...like it or not its true. <br>

ALEX
03-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Like it or not the PT CRUISER has style...the M3 does not have style...it looks like a 3 series to 99.99995 of the world...like it or not its a fact. People flock to PT Cruisers, Vipers, Ferraris, even the TT and Beetle when they where new..because they had NEW STYLE...the M3 is not NEW...people are used to the 3 series by now..and Like I said it doesnt look better than a normal 3 series at all. <p>You have the same problem my dad had. He spent all this money on an AMG ML55 thinking people whould notice it from the ML320...and to this day..no one does. People do not flock to cars that dont look cool. The M3 doesnt not look cool...you wont go "wow" when it drives by....Just spending $55k doesnt mean it has style. The 911 with aero kit..now that is style...the M3 has no style over the 3 series...like it or not its true. <br>

michaelm
03-26-2001, 06:07 PM
Don't get the car just so that you can be the first to have it. Get the car you want, in the colour you want, even if you have to wait. You're paying a lot of dough for this machine, and I think you'll be happier in the long run if you get the right one(or at least the closest thing available from the current menu of choices).<p>On the other hand, if your reason for jumping now is to have the car to drive for six extra months, that makes sense to me, especially if waiting means missing the summer. We only live so long. <p>As for silver, I really think there's only one factor to consider(colours are very personal, so I'll spare you my "thoughts" on the relative aesthetic merits of the available colours. Plus, you'll probably think my taste is suspect, sincew I'm an LSB guy). <p>Silver is a very common colour, especially for BMW's (a dealer here told me that 50% of all cars they sell are silver). The colour won't stand out, and the car won't look as different from a regular 3-series as it would if you got one of the "M Exclusive" colours (CB,PY,IR or LSB). However, lots of people don't want a flashy car, and I suspect that Silver will do well on re-sales for that reason.<p>Hope that helps.

m aazing
03-26-2001, 06:11 PM
The truth of the matter is that the 3 series is the best looking car out there and the M3 is just a wee bit better than that.<p>Please don't compare me to your dad, unless you want me to compare YOU to my son - who also is named Alex. Only he's 5.<p><i><br>Like it or not the PT CRUISER has style...the M3 does not have style...it looks like a 3 series to 99.99995 of the world...like it or not its a fact. People flock to PT Cruisers, Vipers, Ferraris, even the TT and Beetle when they where new..because they had NEW STYLE...the M3 is not NEW...people are used to the 3 series by now..and Like I said it doesnt look better than a normal 3 series at all. <p>You have the same problem my dad had. He spent all this money on an AMG ML55 thinking people whould notice it from the ML320...and to this day..no one does. People do not flock to cars that dont look cool. The M3 doesnt not look cool...you wont go "wow" when it drives by....Just spending $55k doesnt mean it has style. The 911 with aero kit..now that is style...the M3 has no style over the 3 series...like it or not its true. <p></i><br>

ALEX
03-26-2001, 06:18 PM
just a thought :)<br>

ALEX
03-26-2001, 06:45 PM
The 3 series is the best looking what?<p>a) If you are talking sedan <p>the new C class, and the S4 are far better looking<p>b) If you are talkng coupe:<p>The Volvo C70 and the CLK are bothe better looking<p><br>and one more thing...people dont look at cars and say "wow" that is great for its "class" cars that look good look good no matter what class they are in. The 3 series DOES NOT TURN heads...maybe any BMW does in some white trash town...but in NY a 3 series is like a toyota camry..everyone has one...it so common. Why do you all think the M3 is some head turner that is so unique...the problem is it comes out when everyone is used to the design...and its not like most people will care about new spoiler, and dual exhaust, most people dont notice such things. If they wanted to make it look good they could have offered some really nice colors to make the car stand out in a good way, but BMW ****** that up big time!<br>

m aazing
03-26-2001, 06:51 PM
You're all over the map man. Personally I find your comments quite interesting and in some cases even a bit insightful, but there is no consistency in what you are saying. You seem to hate everything.<p><p><i><br>The 3 series is the best looking what?<p>a) If you are talking sedan <p>the new C class, and the S4 are far better looking<p>b) If you are talkng coupe:<p>The Volvo C70 and the CLK are bothe better looking<p><br>and one more thing...people dont look at cars and say "wow" that is great for its "class" cars that look good look good no matter what class they are in. The 3 series DOES NOT TURN heads...maybe any BMW does in some white trash town...but in NY a 3 series is like a toyota camry..everyone has one...it so common. Why do you all think the M3 is some head turner that is so unique...the problem is it comes out when everyone is used to the design...and its not like most people will care about new spoiler, and dual exhaust, most people dont notice such things. If they wanted to make it look good they could have offered some really nice colors to make the car stand out in a good way, but BMW ****** that up big time!<p></i><br>

Jason
03-26-2001, 07:09 PM
<i><p><br></i>It seems to me what you are really looking for is a flashy car. That is perfectly fine I don't criticize that, but BMWs really aren't flash cars. You need to focus your attention back to a tricked out Porsche for that.<p>

Diane
03-26-2001, 08:23 PM
<i><br>Are you over 40? Red screams of mid-life crisis. But if you are under 40, then hold out for red<br>(that's what color the real cars come in i.e. Ferrari, Viper, Carreras).

Chris B
03-26-2001, 10:38 PM
One of the most sought after cars just ended up a the dealer by mistake. I highly doubt it. The dealer is lying to you. Shocker!

Chris B
03-26-2001, 10:43 PM
<i><br>The 3 series is the best looking what?<p>a) If you are talking sedan <p>the new C class, and the S4 are far better looking<p>b) If you are talkng coupe:<p>The Volvo C70 and the CLK are bothe better looking<p><br>and one more thing...people dont look at cars and say "wow" that is great for its "class" cars that look good look good no matter what class they are in. The 3 series DOES NOT TURN heads...maybe any BMW does in some white trash town...but in NY a 3 series is like a toyota camry..everyone has one...it so common. Why do you all think the M3 is some head turner that is so unique...the problem is it comes out when everyone is used to the design...and its not like most people will care about new spoiler, and dual exhaust, most people dont notice such things. If they wanted to make it look good they could have offered some really nice colors to make the car stand out in a good way, but BMW ****** that up big time!<p></i><br>

Ros B 300TE
03-26-2001, 11:08 PM

Evan...(more)
03-27-2001, 03:18 AM
<i><br>Ok, here is the story...I am #10 on the M3 waiting list...BUT BUT BUT the dealer got an extra M3 in stock somehow, and they called me today to see if I want it... its Silver/Black with Harmon Kardon, Heated seats, moonroof, Xenons.... <p><br></i>BMW NA is giving "Select" dealers "Extra" pre-built cars in more then LSB. They also have extra M5's. This is crazy but true. I do not know what the requiremnets are to be able to recieve these cars but certain dealers will be getting them in the next few weeks.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index