Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

ceb
03-27-2001, 07:44 PM
My dealer received their demo yesterday and I was the first to drive it. I'll try not to repeat what has already been said besides the car is beautiful and a beast. <br>First off of course it was LSB (not saying anything) but it had chromed tail pipes like Grinch's pics (thank god) so it looks like our tail pipe worries are over. The engine oil had stayed warm from being driven for a few minutes before I arrived so only three of the rpm leds were on when I started it. Vroom, car started up and sounded good in the **** pit. Not a "bop bop bop bop" of a V8 but faster and deep i6, somewhat like the e36m3 but stronger and louder. The car feels extremely light. Everything about it gives you the feeling that it is much lighter than it is. The clutch felt light with no noticeable slap or click as it engages. The stick throws felt a bit longer than my ci but were really smooth and easy to switch fast. Now to the drive... Keep in mind I'm in Colorado at over 5k feet so the power is not what it would be at sea level. The engine sounds relatively tame (nice sound but not growling yet) until about 4k rpm where it comes to life. At 4K it sounds like the e36M3 near full throttle. Funny thing is this is just the start of the fun. The darn thing just gets louder and more powerful sounding as you approach 6-7k. I didn't redline it but did rev it pretty high at times (sales guy said I could) it is a beautiful sound. The car doesn't push you back in your seat but accelerates fast. Remember I'm at altitude so I can't speak for everyone. The beauty of this engine is the wide rev range with a killer growl starting at 4K which is fine with me. This car feel VERY light, just as light as the e36M3's I've driven. It felt lighter than my 328ci which is actually a few hundered pounds lighter. The steering feels firm and tight but does not provide the same kind of feedback my 328ci does BUT I figure that's because of the foamy padding around the steering wheel which soaks up a lot of the road vibration, don't know if that is good or bad yet. You can toss this thing around and it won't sway or roll, handling is nice and tight and stays firm without a harsh ride, really well designed feeling. Took some 100mph curves and the thing just rolled its eyes and asked, "is that all you got little man?" I didn't reply just passed the guy in front of me in the Blue Blurrrr. The sport button did not make a huge difference when I pressed it. It revs up faster and sounds even better with it on but again I attribute that to the altitude. All and all it is exactly what I expected with a MUCH lighter feel to it than I thought. It doesn't feel like you're accelerating that fast but then you look a the lines on the street or some other reference point and it is speeding by like you're about to take off from a runway, very deceptive. Plenty of car for me, talk to you in April when I get my own.... one more thing the (a) button on the dash next to the sport button is the tire pressure monitor gauge. <br>

ALEX
03-27-2001, 07:53 PM

ALEX
03-27-2001, 07:57 PM
my friends SL600 feels light too...because the power makes it "feel" light on its feet, but once you turn hard or break hard you will begin to feel the weight,

ceb :-)
03-27-2001, 08:04 PM
<i><br>my friends SL600 feels light too...because the power makes it "feel" light on its feet, but once you turn hard or break hard you will begin to feel the weight,<p></i><br>

SAFROLE
03-27-2001, 08:05 PM
I really dont think you got bent out of shape because I thought that you lost your mind since you're considering LSB. Besides, I was only poking harmless fun at it, that's what these little things mean ";)" <p>By the way, you should know better than trying to insult me, I stopped taking things personal from this place a long time ago, so you can make fun of my mother all you want, I really dont care.<p>

Psyence
03-27-2001, 09:25 PM
ummm... come on guys, I know you guys have really high expectations at this point and are basically delirious with pleasure that it's actually here, but can we keep these mini-reviews based somewhat on reality... just a little bit :)<p><i><br>You can toss this thing around and it won't sway or roll...<br></i><br>

ceb
03-27-2001, 09:54 PM
<i><br>ummm... come on guys, I know you guys have really high expectations at this point and are basically delirious with pleasure that it's actually here, but can we keep these mini-reviews based somewhat on reality... just a little bit :)<p><br>You can toss this thing around and it won't sway or roll...<p></i><br>

ALEX
03-27-2001, 10:06 PM
<i><p>my friends SL600 feels light too...because the power makes it "feel" light on its feet, but once you turn hard or break hard you will begin to feel the weight,<p><br></i><br>

TMiller
03-28-2001, 12:13 AM
Which dealership did you drive at? Co's or Gebhardts maybe?<p>Did they hassle you about the test drive?<p>Thanks,<br>Thomas<p><i><br>My dealer received their demo yesterday and I was the first to drive it. I'll try not to repeat what has already been said besides the car is beautiful and a beast. <br>First off of course it was LSB (not saying anything) but it had chromed tail pipes like Grinch's pics (thank god) so it looks like our tail pipe worries are over. The engine oil had stayed warm from being driven for a few minutes before I arrived so only three of the rpm leds were on when I started it. Vroom, car started up and sounded good in the **** pit. Not a "bop bop bop bop" of a V8 but faster and deep i6, somewhat like the e36m3 but stronger and louder. The car feels extremely light. Everything about it gives you the feeling that it is much lighter than it is. The clutch felt light with no noticeable slap or click as it engages. The stick throws felt a bit longer than my ci but were really smooth and easy to switch fast. Now to the drive... Keep in mind I'm in Colorado at over 5k feet so the power is not what it would be at sea level. The engine sounds relatively tame (nice sound but not growling yet) until about 4k rpm where it comes to life. At 4K it sounds like the e36M3 near full throttle. Funny thing is this is just the start of the fun. The darn thing just gets louder and more powerful sounding as you approach 6-7k. I didn't redline it but did rev it pretty high at times (sales guy said I could) it is a beautiful sound. The car doesn't push you back in your seat but accelerates fast. Remember I'm at altitude so I can't speak for everyone. The beauty of this engine is the wide rev range with a killer growl starting at 4K which is fine with me. This car feel VERY light, just as light as the e36M3's I've driven. It felt lighter than my 328ci which is actually a few hundered pounds lighter. The steering feels firm and tight but does not provide the same kind of feedback my 328ci does BUT I figure that's because of the foamy padding around the steering wheel which soaks up a lot of the road vibration, don't know if that is good or bad yet. You can toss this thing around and it won't sway or roll, handling is nice and tight and stays firm without a harsh ride, really well designed feeling. Took some 100mph curves and the thing just rolled its eyes and asked, "is that all you got little man?" I didn't reply just passed the guy in front of me in the Blue Blurrrr. The sport button did not make a huge difference when I pressed it. It revs up faster and sounds even better with it on but again I attribute that to the altitude. All and all it is exactly what I expected with a MUCH lighter feel to it than I thought. It doesn't feel like you're accelerating that fast but then you look a the lines on the street or some other reference point and it is speeding by like you're about to take off from a runway, very deceptive. Plenty of car for me, talk to you in April when I get my own.... one more thing the (a) button on the dash next to the sport button is the tire pressure monitor gauge. <p></i><br>

ceb
03-28-2001, 01:06 AM
look Alex until you show a bit more respect by not insulting everyone before you comment you're just daddy's little girl to me (kiss).<p>If you want to talk cars I'll BS with you because you seem to have useful stuff to share - <p>I actually agree with what you're saying about the power/weight thing. I slammed on the brakes at 65 to 0 and it stopped quick and felt light (thanks to the strong brakes). I took some very hard turns at different speeds and it felt fine with little sway. I understand it is not a Ferarri so don't bother comparing them. Yet you can see the engineering makes the heavy weight a non-issue which was something I was worried about. Later<br>

JCD
03-28-2001, 01:18 AM

ceb
03-28-2001, 01:33 AM
sorry for the wierdness, I don't want to exactly announce who they are since they were really cool to let me drive the car in the manner in which I did. later...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index