Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

nick
03-27-2001, 08:38 PM
Bastards! STOP THE MADDNESS!

giandu
03-27-2001, 08:42 PM

Randy G
03-27-2001, 08:44 PM
Of course, Honda and Acura dealers have been doing this for years, though for significantly smaller amounts (like: $3000 over sticker for an Accord). Not to say I approve, or that I would ever buy a car from a dealer who did that--I haven't, wouldn't, and won't. But BMW dealers are no worse than others in this regard, except that they obviously think that BMW customers have lots more money than Honda or Acura customers (probably true).

spook
03-27-2001, 08:46 PM
<i><br>Bastards! STOP THE MADDNESS!<p></i><br>It will stop when more cars get here, but not until then...at least another few months.<br>

StoneWalk
03-27-2001, 08:49 PM
<i><br>It will stop when more cars get here, but not until then...at least another few months.<br></i><p>More generally, it will stop when no one will pay the premium and/or BMWNA decides that further allocations should go to dealers who do not gouge. Porsche does a pretty good job at this, while BMWNA appears to not have the backbone to worry about long term corporate image vs short term dealer profits.

Go Sun Devils!!!
03-27-2001, 08:51 PM
actually are willing to pay that much!!!<p>Nope! Not me... I can but I won't do it 'cause it ain't worth that much! Not a penny over MSRP!<p><i><br>Bastards! STOP THE MADDNESS!<p></i><br>

Tom
03-27-2001, 08:57 PM
Good comment Stonewalk.<p>You think a company as big as BMW will have the insight that you do.

Vegasfan
03-27-2001, 09:06 PM
I know, I drove it. Then my salesman says "If you are going to get hung up on that (markup), then you must not be an M3 Customer."<p>This M3 Customer has just left the building.<p><i><br>Bastards! STOP THE MADDNESS!<p></i><br>

spook
03-27-2001, 09:12 PM
<i><p>More generally, it will stop when no one will pay the premium and/or BMWNA decides that further allocations should go to dealers who do not gouge. Porsche does a pretty good job at this, while BMWNA appears to not have the backbone to worry about long term corporate image vs short term dealer profits.<p></i><br>Somebody will always pay a premium if demand is greater than supply. Nothing anybody can do to stop it.<p>I don't believe price gouging at the dealer level will tarnish the corporate image. BMW NA doesn't have motivation to intervene. <p>Lack of long term support of the product (service), however, will keep people from willingly paying a premium next time, if there is a next time. For instance, if somebody in Los Angeles pays $70,000 for a 3-series BMW (this is a customer you want to keep) and has a hard time getting a ride to the office when he brings the car in for its first service, he won't shop BMW for his next car. That is where long term profits will be affected.<p>Apparently Mercedes held the CLK55s for a few months, then released a bunch at once...this limited speculation/gouging by spiking supply. I thought BMW might be doing the same thing, but not after seeing this month's allocations.

Chris Hill
03-27-2001, 10:00 PM
<i><br>Bastards! STOP THE MADDNESS!<p></i>Cale-mail me and I will tell you what dealer is selling all of their cars at MSRP/ except the Demos. Chris H. <br>cjhill44@aol.com<br>

Andy Chi
03-27-2001, 10:56 PM
I have a deposit in an out of state dealer for MSRP. I will be getting the Jan 02 production car. Tis true that time is money, so the time you saved by spending that 20K now to get the car might be worth it to you. IF so, more power to you. For me, a few month and a day of driving from out of state back to CA is worth a lot less than 20K to me, so I am willing to lose some time and a day driving the car back to CA. Then perhaps stop by Concord with my new car and pick up the M3 floormats there, while conspicously let all the cusomters in there know that I got mine for MSRP;-)<p>You have to keep in mind that Bay area is one of those places where a shack goes for 2200 bucks a month for rent. And 92 octane cost over 2 bucks a gallon. That must be why they hate us LA people;-)<p>Andy<br>98 M3 black/black<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index