Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

ALEX
03-28-2001, 04:50 PM
I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)

lionsfan54
03-28-2001, 05:05 PM
"God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak."<p>But<p>"I was "driven" in the car because I have no license"<p>You have a lot of opinions for someone who RODE in the BACK SEAT of a car that's not even broken in yet.<p><i><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p></i><br>

AN M3, LET ALONE SIT IN IT
03-28-2001, 05:08 PM
<i><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p></i><br>

Jason
03-28-2001, 05:16 PM
<i><p><br></i>Now you don't have to get one and you can leave this board and go annoy the people on the Porsche or some other board. Best news I've heard on here all week :-)<br>

michaelm
03-28-2001, 05:23 PM
perspectives are among those who have been out in the car.<br>

who drove the car. SAFROLE
03-28-2001, 05:29 PM
I think I should visit my dealer and test drive this thing myself. But I dont want to spoil the surprise to be honest, I'd rather just wait another month and drive my own. <p>SAF

AC328
03-28-2001, 05:29 PM
<i><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p></i><br>

Congratulations!
03-28-2001, 05:30 PM

guest speaker
03-28-2001, 05:32 PM

guest speaker
03-28-2001, 05:41 PM
<i><p>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p><br></i><br>

Cosmos
03-28-2001, 05:44 PM
thoughtful and well written review........... <p><p><br><i><p>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p><br></i><br>

Mr. Grinch
03-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Come on. Compares an M3 with 4 passengers and less horsepower to Z06 which only carries 2, and then complains about<p>- oversteer<br>- not enough pull<p>I'm not sure what you took in highschool, but it obviously wasn't physics. Add the mass of the 4 people plus extra chassis weight to the Z06, subtract the extra HP, and it's going to handle heavy too.<p>Or am I the only one who thinks it's silly to expect a fully loaded 4 seater / 4 passenger coupe with less HP to handle the same as a lighter, more powerful, 2 seater?<p>Guess I must be.<br>

Jar Jar Binks
03-28-2001, 06:39 PM
Thanks Alex. S4s RULE!!!!

Jason
03-28-2001, 06:40 PM
<i><br>Come on. Compares an M3 with 4 passengers and less horsepower to Z06 which only carries 2, and then complains about<p>- oversteer<br>- not enough pull<p>I'm not sure what you took in highschool, but it obviously wasn't physics. Add the mass of the 4 people plus extra chassis weight to the Z06, subtract the extra HP, and it's going to handle heavy too.<p>Or am I the only one who thinks it's silly to expect a fully loaded 4 seater / 4 passenger coupe with less HP to handle the same as a lighter, more powerful, 2 seater?<p>Guess I must be.<p></i>Alex has been trolling around bimmer.org for what looks like 2-3 years. Over that time he has focused on every car model board and has complained about the cars, made personal insults towards people and has probably said every racial slur every known. When you see the name Alex in the post do yourself a favor and just skip over it.<br>

gore
03-28-2001, 06:43 PM

dirtMerchant
03-28-2001, 06:49 PM
<i><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<br><br></i>haha!<i><BR><br>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p><br>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sur If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anythng like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torqu is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more invoving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt vry light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car tha feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling te limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars yo cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got los of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it fel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weght in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. Te way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, ths is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and ad to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" an shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cbin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday becaus its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did wit the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the bak..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I ws in a Z06 and that i was like "HOLY ****, I'M A ***!" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the pwer out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its defnately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev rang and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if hd the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to knw that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I eat **** all day. I would bet that 69% of the shifts I made in my fudgepacking Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my diving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get somethig else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak(i will crush you foolish weaklings on my nintendo because i don't have my license). I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p></i><p><br>Interesting review. I agree with some things that you've said, but I'd wait to be behind the wheel before I say things like "This M3 suites my driving style", and "Its a fun car at the limits".<p>Just my .02.<p>_,.-~*^*dirtMerchant*^*~-.,_<br>330ci, MDX, #6 for ///M3

review ........ (nt) Han
03-28-2001, 07:05 PM

Gym Towel
03-28-2001, 07:21 PM

dirtMerchant
03-28-2001, 07:22 PM
<i><p>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p><br></i><br>

pj
03-28-2001, 07:30 PM
<i><br>an illegal alien. You obviously spell like one or the other.<br></i><br>

TechnoViolent
03-28-2001, 07:40 PM
You gave your honest opinion of what the car felt like to you. Kudos to you for that. I get tired of hearing the same biased, unreal "the car is friggin awesome, Dude!!!" reports. It probably does not "feel" as fast as a vette or any other high-torque car. Top-end cars usually don't "feel" brutally fast. A 540i "feels" faster than an e36 M3, but is not. Your impressions are not surprising to me at all. I predicted some time ago that the nature of the e46M3 engine was ill-suited to the car's US market. Compared to a CLK55, vette or other torque monster, the M3 will very likely "feel" lack luster. For those afraid or too uncomfortable to rev the bejesus out of the thing, or for those who don't think you should have to do that in a $60k car, the M3 is not going to be appealing at all. Remember when the S2000 hit the scene and all of the performance mags raved about the engine? Well, many consumers balked at the idea of a $40k honda that you have to drive like you just stole it in order to enjoy it. Many will have the same feelings towards a $60k 3-series that you have to redline to move beyond the pack. These are not my feelings, of course, but lets wait and see how the US consumer receives it. The e36 M3 was such a great sales triumph because it was relatively cheap german performance designed specifically for the american market (very good low and mid range punch). The euro version of the e36 would not have done nearly as well over here. Why should we expect the euro spec e46 to do any better? <br>In response to market forces, BMW will launch the V8 over here sooner than we think . . . I hope ;) <p><br><<br>i><p><p>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p></i><br>

Shaadi
03-28-2001, 08:26 PM
I agree that the car doesn't seem to pull like you would expect from a 333hp car, but it was still very quick. However, you were talking about how rough the shifts were around town at slow speeds. It's odd because when I drove the car I was amazed at how smooth the shifts were. Maybe the driver wasn't used to manual (drives a Benz, right?). I think the salesman said it was due to the new self adjusting clutch. Overall I wasn't blow away by the car, but it was VERY easy to drive smoothly, moreso than my 99 M3.<p>Shaadi

AAYA
03-28-2001, 08:42 PM
<i><p>Come on. Compares an M3 with 4 passengers and less horsepower to Z06 which only carries 2, and then complains about<p>- oversteer<br>- not enough pull<p>I'm not sure what you took in highschool, but it obviously wasn't physics. Add the mass of the 4 people plus extra chassis weight to the Z06, subtract the extra HP, and it's going to handle heavy too.<p>Or am I the only one who thinks it's silly to expect a fully loaded 4 seater / 4 passenger coupe with less HP to handle the same as a lighter, more powerful, 2 seater?<p>Guess I must be.<p>Alex has been trolling around bimmer.org for what looks like 2-3 years. Over that time he has focused on every car model board and has complained about the cars, made personal insults towards people and has probably said every racial slur every known. When you see the name Alex in the post do yourself a favor and just skip over it.<p>Well Said!<br></i><br>

AAYA
03-28-2001, 08:42 PM
<i><p>Come on. Compares an M3 with 4 passengers and less horsepower to Z06 which only carries 2, and then complains about<p>- oversteer<br>- not enough pull<p>I'm not sure what you took in highschool, but it obviously wasn't physics. Add the mass of the 4 people plus extra chassis weight to the Z06, subtract the extra HP, and it's going to handle heavy too.<p>Or am I the only one who thinks it's silly to expect a fully loaded 4 seater / 4 passenger coupe with less HP to handle the same as a lighter, more powerful, 2 seater?<p>Guess I must be.<p>Alex has been trolling around bimmer.org for what looks like 2-3 years. Over that time he has focused on every car model board and has complained about the cars, made personal insults towards people and has probably said every racial slur every known. When you see the name Alex in the post do yourself a favor and just skip over it.<p>Well Said!<br></i><br>

Cochise
03-28-2001, 09:17 PM
I am the guy that drove the car with you in the back today. It's nice to finally meet you. How awesome is that thing? I will miss the AMG but I cannot wait until the beast arrives. Good luck with your car my friend. As soon as the Police think it's ok for you to be on the road again, you will have a blast. Excellent recount of our little trip. I must say thought that I think the salesman had the best time out of all of us.

Hugh Jardon
03-28-2001, 10:45 PM
Nice post Alex. It's good to see an honest review even if you were riding in the back seat. After all a person can tell a lot about the cars performance characteristics from this detached viewpoint. I am currently #16 on a waiting list to ride in the new M3 at Crevier BMW, and I am requesting that I get to ride strapped to the hood of the car! I think this will give me a good "feel" of how the car really handles rather than actually being behind the wheel. <p>I also recently picked up an M3 brochure from Crevier BMW. I was a little disappointed at first, since there were so many big words and not that many pretty pictures to look at. Also I got a huge paper cut on my index finger when I was turning one of the pages, I think BMW should have safer literature on their cars, maybe develop brochure airbags or something.<p>Overall I think the Z06 brochure is actually much better than the M3 brochure. I can understand what they are trying to say just by looking at the pictures. Basically the Z06 is all about Tork, way down low in the rev range. Like even before the car is started, it has Tork. The M3 is more about high revving Horse Powder. If you don't wind out the M3 to like at least 10000 RMP, you can't get the horses interested in moving the car. They just stand there sort of looking around.<p>IMHO they should have better colors to choose from on the new M3. LSB is ok but I want something that really stands out and grabs the attention of those around me. I would personally like to see a bright purple or maybe a metallic fuschia. I want something that is going to have good resale value.<p>As for the interior, The new M3 looks a lot like a 3 series. It's as if they used the same layout and dash pieces. Somehow I think that the 3 series cars are related to the new M3 at least on the inside. I have a HK stereo in my home and it has blown speakers as well so this fact doesn't surprise me at all. I usually crank up N-SYNC to very high levels after I get off work at McDonald's, so this might have something to do with it.<p>The bottom line is this, when you are going to spend $26,000 on a brand spanking new M3 you want it to like all work and stuff. So if the steering is vage and the braeks don't work all that well you are going to be disappointed. I personally am going to stick with my tried and true 1987 Subaru XT-6 until the MSRP on the new M3 comes down to like $12K. Sure chicks dig the Subie but I think they will also go wild for an M3. What do you think?<p><i><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p></i><br>

Gooner
03-28-2001, 10:58 PM

(nt) - Jason
03-28-2001, 11:04 PM
<i><br>Nice post Alex. It's good to see an honest review even if you were riding in the back seat. After all a person can tell a lot about the cars performance characteristics from this detached viewpoint. I am currently #16 on a waiting list to ride in the new M3 at Crevier BMW, and I am requesting that I get to ride strapped to the hood of the car! I think this will give me a good "feel" of how the car really handles rather than actually being behind the wheel. <p>I also recently picked up an M3 brochure from Crevier BMW. I was a little disappointed at first, since there were so many big words and not that many pretty pictures to look at. Also I got a huge paper cut on my index finger when I was turning one of the pages, I think BMW should have safer literature on their cars, maybe develop brochure airbags or something.<p>Overall I think the Z06 brochure is actually much better than the M3 brochure. I can understand what they are trying to say just by looking at the pictures. Basically the Z06 is all about Tork, way down low in the rev range. Like even before the car is started, it has Tork. The M3 is more about high revving Horse Powder. If you don't wind out the M3 to like at least 10000 RMP, you can't get the horses interested in moving the car. They just stand there sort of looking around.<p>IMHO they should have better colors to choose from on the new M3. LSB is ok but I want something that really stands out and grabs the attention of those around me. I would personally like to see a bright purple or maybe a metallic fuschia. I want something that is going to have good resale value.<p>As for the interior, The new M3 looks a lot like a 3 series. It's as if they used the same layout and dash pieces. Somehow I think that the 3 series cars are related to the new M3 at least on the inside. I have a HK stereo in my home and it has blown speakers as well so this fact doesn't surprise me at all. I usually crank up N-SYNC to very high levels after I get off work at McDonald's, so this might have something to do with it.<p>The bottom line is this, when you are going to spend $26,000 on a brand spanking new M3 you want it to like all work and stuff. So if the steering is vage and the braeks don't work all that well you are going to be disappointed. I personally am going to stick with my tried and true 1987 Subaru XT-6 until the MSRP on the new M3 comes down to like $12K. Sure chicks dig the Subie but I think they will also go wild for an M3. What do you think?<p><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p><br></i><br>

Diane
03-28-2001, 11:08 PM
<i><br>Hi Alex. I took a virtual ride in an M3 in an Orlando dealership today. Didn't even have to leave the showroom! <br></i><br>

sj-bimmer
03-29-2001, 12:01 AM

ALEX
03-29-2001, 12:09 AM
he took some of those turns a little to fast for my liking...I guess passengers are completely out of control. I will be going back later this week to drive it myself using someone else's license :), my brothers. I want to feel it pinned to red line in 2nd and 3rd gear...<br>

ALEX
03-29-2001, 12:12 AM
I have no license because its suspended for reckless driving...I should get it back just in time to do a burnout in your driveway.<br>

ALEX
03-29-2001, 12:15 AM
<i><p>Come on. Compares an M3 with 4 passengers and less horsepower to Z06 which only carries 2, and then complains about<p>- oversteer<br>- not enough pull<p>I'm not sure what you took in highschool, but it obviously wasn't physics. Add the mass of the 4 people plus extra chassis weight to the Z06, subtract the extra HP, and it's going to handle heavy too.<p>Or am I the only one who thinks it's silly to expect a fully loaded 4 seater / 4 passenger coupe with less HP to handle the same as a lighter, more powerful, 2 seater?<p>Guess I must be.<p>Alex has been trolling around bimmer.org for what looks like 2-3 years. Over that time he has focused on every car model board and has complained about the cars, made personal insults towards people and has probably said every racial slur every known. When you see the name Alex in the post do yourself a favor and just skip over it.<p></i><br>

Cochise
03-29-2001, 12:50 AM
Hey, watch those automatic Mercedes comments. My stick driving is fine. I don't recall any shifting incontinuities.

guy got his balls caught in the engine.
03-29-2001, 01:38 AM
<i><br>Nice post Alex. It's good to see an honest review even if you were riding in the back seat. After all a person can tell a lot about the cars performance characteristics from this detached viewpoint. I am currently #16 on a waiting list to ride in the new M3 at Crevier BMW, and I am requesting that I get to ride strapped to the hood of the car! I think this will give me a good "feel" of how the car really handles rather than actually being behind the wheel. <p>I also recently picked up an M3 brochure from Crevier BMW. I was a little disappointed at first, since there were so many big words and not that many pretty pictures to look at. Also I got a huge paper cut on my index finger when I was turning one of the pages, I think BMW should have safer literature on their cars, maybe develop brochure airbags or something.<p>Overall I think the Z06 brochure is actually much better than the M3 brochure. I can understand what they are trying to say just by looking at the pictures. Basically the Z06 is all about Tork, way down low in the rev range. Like even before the car is started, it has Tork. The M3 is more about high revving Horse Powder. If you don't wind out the M3 to like at least 10000 RMP, you can't get the horses interested in moving the car. They just stand there sort of looking around.<p>IMHO they should have better colors to choose from on the new M3. LSB is ok but I want something that really stands out and grabs the attention of those around me. I would personally like to see a bright purple or maybe a metallic fuschia. I want something that is going to have good resale value.<p>As for the interior, The new M3 looks a lot like a 3 series. It's as if they used the same layout and dash pieces. Somehow I think that the 3 series cars are related to the new M3 at least on the inside. I have a HK stereo in my home and it has blown speakers as well so this fact doesn't surprise me at all. I usually crank up N-SYNC to very high levels after I get off work at McDonald's, so this might have something to do with it.<p>The bottom line is this, when you are going to spend $26,000 on a brand spanking new M3 you want it to like all work and stuff. So if the steering is vage and the braeks don't work all that well you are going to be disappointed. I personally am going to stick with my tried and true 1987 Subaru XT-6 until the MSRP on the new M3 comes down to like $12K. Sure chicks dig the Subie but I think they will also go wild for an M3. What do you think?<p><br>I was "driven" in the car because I have no license, but here is what I think.<p>Well the LSB looked a little better in direct sunlight..its still not a color I would ever commit to buying, because the only reason one would consider liking it its different, and when that gets old you will regret it. But if you do want to attract attention I would get it, people were gawking at us as we flew by them.<p>Anyway IMHO the wheels still have to go..they look bad, and the demo car had been driven that morning and when any break dust gets on them they look really bad. You will be suprised what a nice set of wheels would do to the overall look of this car.<p>The interior in the demo...STINKS! I am sorry but the grey interior looks so cheap with the black trim. There interior is a big let down, because its so uneventful. The Demo car had HK upgrade and with only 100miles on it the driver side speaker was blown! and you could hear it rattling with distortion..this happens to all HK speakers in all BMWs..dont even waste your money. <p>So we started it up and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!?! When you rev the car it really does sound like a chainsaw being reved. It sounds like metal scraping against metal...I am not sure If i like the sound it makes. It really is harsh and brash....not a sweet sounding song like the s2000 and modena produce @ high rpms. You will be stunned when you hear this the frst time..because I have never heard anything like it...sounds like a chainsaw engine it really does whoever said that yesterday was dead right. <p>The car pulled off the line nice...but it becomes apparent that even though 80% of torque is avaliable down low...only after 4k RPMs does this car show any real pull. And after that pull it does. I like that..I loved the reving nature of the s2000, its more involving, and the M3 has similar characteristics. <p>I cant speak much for the handling, although one driver said it felt very light but nice....but the grip in the car is awesome..we took turns @80-90mph that if i had tried that in my Z3 i would be dead right now. It didnt even feel like it was starting to break loose. This may be good or bad. I hope it is not a car that feels secure than all of a sudden breaks traction and slides when you pass the limit. Felling the limit is ver important..and sometimes when they over refine cars you cant tell where the limit is until its too late. The gentlemen who was driving races for a living and said "man its got lots of understeer" as we plowed through a turn..I guess that is safer than the back end stepping around. But honestly at no point did it feel overpowering where the wheels would break loose...maybe it was all the weight in the car...4 of us. <p>The engine note is loud in the car. And what I will say is that this car is not for everyone. Its definately not just a more expensive 3 anymore. The way it sticks, the way the gear changes "clunk" into the next gear, the way the brakes scrub off speed, this is definately a race oriented car. The problem being is that this car is ONLY fun to drive fast. When we were in traffic and had to change gears a lot there was a lot of mechanical sounds comming from the transmission..loud "clunks" and shakking, gearchanges down low are not smooth at all. Basically it changes gears like a race car does..and it sounds like it to. Very harsh and very loud in the cabin. <p>I poked the brain of the gentlemen who drived it, he races the cars he buys (he had a red C36 AMG with majot mods there). He liked the M3. Said it doesnt feel like a car you would want to drive everyday because its only fun driving it hard, and you simply can not do that safely where we live. 2nd he said the s2000 was a lot more fun to drive..with the high revs and much shorter throws and heavy and direct steering. He did say he was impressed with what they did with the E46, because he test drove a 330CI and thought it was junk compared to the E36, too refined, and steering to vague. <p>Anyway I had a blast in the back..it always feels faster as the passenger. The only problem with the M3 is that you really have to beat on it and drive it fast to have fun in it...there isnt any real pull going slow in the higher gears...and when you got 8k rpms you want to keep the tach up. I know what the magazine times say...but there is no way this car is faster than a vette...and I was in a Z06 and that was like "HOLY ****" when you floor it...the M3 is not that fast...but its faster than E36 for sure. BUT you have to beat on it to to get the power out. There is no real power down low. I Agree with the posts that it feels like an S4 the acceleration...you step on it..it lags..and then all of a sudden surges like a turbo...just doesnt sound like a turbo. Overall I just have to decide if the car is enough fun to justify the price. Its definately not worth 60k. I will be the first to say that. Its a fun car at the limits..then you know you are in an M3. But for half the rev range and all of the interior..it feels just like any other 3 series. So the only way to extract the fun and get what you paid for is to drive it like mad...that can be both good and bad. Thats Why I would have preffered a V8 and if had the money would get the M5, you feel once you start it and any touch of the gas you feel what you paid for..and you dont have to drive it like mad to know that. In the M3 you do. And thats a perfect match for me because I drive like a Moron. Really I do. I would bet that 80% of the shifts I made in my Z3 where dont bouncing off the rev limiter. Same thing when we had the s2000. This M3 suites my driving style fine. But if you are not prepared to really rip into this car its a waste of money in my opinion A BIG waste of money...get something else. You have to be careful in it because you dont feel like you are going fast even when you are....so its easy to get above your head. God I feel bad because I know a lot of you bad drivers are going to wreck this car very soon....its simply too much car and your skills are simply too weak. I cant wait to get mine and beat it to death! Its the only way to drive these type of high reving machines...then I will sell it to some poor sap who thinks they are getting a good deal :)<p><br></i><br>

Dimarzio
03-29-2001, 04:02 AM
jk...<br><i><p>Hi Alex. I took a virtual ride in an M3 in an Orlando dealership today. Didn't even have to leave the showroom! <p></i><br>

Lazlo
03-29-2001, 10:14 AM

nick
03-29-2001, 01:07 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index