Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

dang
04-03-2000, 12:35 PM
I've heard, but never investigated, that the heater system in our Coupes flows hot water continuously through the heater core with no valve. If this is true, has anyone modified their system to include a water valve? Even with all the vents closed and temp set to cold my system still bleeds a little warm air into the passenger compartment. This also doesn't seem to be very efficient if you're running a/c. Any comments?<p>Dan

Michael S
04-03-2000, 01:22 PM
Your heater system is just like you described it and even with vents closed, there is still hot water flowing through it which translates (expecially in cars with no a/c to offset this) into the passenger comp. becoming very uncomfortable at times.<p>There are a couple different ways to "fix" this depending on how much work you want to put into it. The easiest way is simply to disconnect the hose feeding into your heater core and route a longer hose in its place to where the return hose re-enters the engine block. Then in the winter you put your old hose back so that the water is once again running through the heater. (make sure you drain the thing first using the return hose to the engine block.)<p>The second way (slightly more involved) is putting in a simple on/off valve in the hose before it enters the heater core. I've seen actual turn valves (like on your spigot on your water hose at home) to various other kinds (a good one is a handle that you turn one way to open and another to close (like on a water heater) looks a lot better than a spigot!). The added benefit of this one is that you can turn it on or turn it off without having to reconnect any hoses when you need heat (plus you can turn it on to flush through the heater core on occassion). Any plumbing supply store will have a number of options for on/off valves - it's just a matter of you finding what you like and where to mount/place it in your car.<br>

cjw
04-03-2000, 02:04 PM
<i>: A 2002 heater valve would work also...

dang
04-04-2000, 05:19 PM
<i>: Thanks for the replies. I've used the very simple and inexpensive VW heater valves on 2002's as a replacement ($1 at the local wrecking yard). They're small enough, maybe I can mount one inline on the CS and have a cable controlled valve inside the car. If I can do it without hacking at the car.... I'll post any success to the board.<p>I think someone needs to make a conversion kit!<p>Dan<br></i>

David F
05-18-2000, 10:35 AM
Wait a minute, My 73 3.0CS has a heater water valve. It is located next to the fan box in the fresh air cowl. It is cable operated by the temperature lever. I did not add the valve and it appears completely stock. Maybe this is a Euro/US thing related to the a/c.<p><i>: I've heard, but never investigated, that the heater system in our Coupes flows hot water continuously through the heater core with no valve. If this is true, has anyone modified their system to include a water valve? Even with all the vents closed and temp set to cold my system still bleeds a little warm air into the passenger compartment. This also doesn't seem to be very efficient if you're running a/c. Any comments?<p>: Dan<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index