Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jeff Greenfield
06-25-2000, 12:29 PM
I am completing a cosmetic restoration on a '72 3.0cs. I am having difficulty installing the windshield, I've done this 100's of times in other similar cars.<p>My question is: Do you a) install the aluminum trim in the windshield gasket before installing the windshield (ie install as a complete assembly) or b) install the windshield without the trim and then install the trim after the windshield is in the car.<p>In the case of a) the trim seems to pop out of the rubber while installing the glass and I can't seem to get it in after the glass is installed.<p>In b) How do you install the trim in the rubber after the glass is in? I have been unable to do this. Is there a special tool for this? mfr? part #:?<p>Any help would be appreciated as I need to finish this project and this the last major hang-up.<p>Jeff Greenfield<br>alfaguy@usa.net

Merdad
06-25-2000, 03:21 PM
I had my windshield repalced a few months ago by a glass shop that had done a lot of these cars. I watched them try to put the glass in. His first attempt was with the trim in place (the right way), but for some reason it just did not want to fall into place. It could have been because the glass may have been a little out of spec. Then he put the glass in without the trim and then using a hook type of a tool, by placing it under the rubber on the outside behind the groove pushing it open, and then inch by inch pushing the trim into the open groove. It took him about an hour doing this, but it worked. Hope this helps.<br>Merdad

doug
06-26-2000, 05:17 PM
the windshield gasket on these cars, front & rear, are one of the biggest pains in the a** on the entire car.<p>i have a really cherry, pampered car but, for the life of me, i can't get those darn gaskets to fit right. they "gap" in all 4 corners (make that 8 corners.)<p>this is a universal problem that i suspect lies with the manufacturer of the gasket.<p>the whole thing sucks and i am extremely dissatisfied with BMW Immobile Traditions for continuing to sell inferior parts.<p>This would never happen on a Mercedes.<p>doug<br>73 3.0CS<p><p><i>: I had my windshield repalced a few months ago by a glass shop that had done a lot of these cars. I watched them try to put the glass in. His first attempt was with the trim in place (the right way), but for some reason it just did not want to fall into place. It could have been because the glass may have been a little out of spec. Then he put the glass in without the trim and then using a hook type of a tool, by placing it under the rubber on the outside behind the groove pushing it open, and then inch by inch pushing the trim into the open groove. It took him about an hour doing this, but it worked. Hope this helps.<br>: Merdad<p></i>

Jeff Greenfield
06-27-2000, 10:20 PM
<i>: I had my windshield repalced a few months ago by a glass shop that had done a lot of these cars. I watched them try to put the glass in. His first attempt was with the trim in place (the right way), but for some reason it just did not want to fall into place. It could have been because the glass may have been a little out of spec. Then he put the glass in without the trim and then using a hook type of a tool, by placing it under the rubber on the outside behind the groove pushing it open, and then inch by inch pushing the trim into the open groove. It took him about an hour doing this, but it worked. Hope this helps.<br>: Merdad<p></i>

Jeff Greenfield
06-27-2000, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the help. I got it figured out. Seems the problem was the new gasket was too big/fat. I put it in using the old gasket and the windshield fell right into place trim and all.<p>This seems very unusual for oem BMW parts. Unfortunately I'm afraid that I may have to do it again as the new windshield may leak with the old gasket.<p>Jeff<p><i>: I had my windshield repalced a few months ago by a glass shop that had done a lot of these cars. I watched them try to put the glass in. His first attempt was with the trim in place (the right way), but for some reason it just did not want to fall into place. It could have been because the glass may have been a little out of spec. Then he put the glass in without the trim and then using a hook type of a tool, by placing it under the rubber on the outside behind the groove pushing it open, and then inch by inch pushing the trim into the open groove. It took him about an hour doing this, but it worked. Hope this helps.<br>: Merdad<p></i>

Merdad
06-28-2000, 10:59 AM
You are right about the gaskets being problomatic. I think my problem was also the gasket, but mine was also OEM and it was too thin and smaller in overall circumfrance and hence not allowing the trim in place.<br>Merdad

Ian
06-29-2000, 11:27 PM
<i>: You are right about the gaskets being problomatic. I think my problem was also the gasket, but mine was also OEM and it was too thin and smaller in overall circumfrance and hence not allowing the trim in place.<br>: Merdad<p></i>I also experienced major headaches with the installing of winshield gaskets,the last one i just completed took over 6 weeks to finaly get right and the window was in and out over 7 times.<br>I was told it was probably my window being an aftermarket glass---total BS. I have owned 5 (five) CS coupes, the last one a 1974 USA model with california emision controls. I was also informed their was a difference between USA and Europeen Models----BS. I was even told to try and buy a genuine BMW window ???.<br>The problem is the manufacturer of the gasket, the material used is much thinner and curls up on itself as it is installed,it is possible to install but requires a great deal of manipulating even after installing their will be a slight recessing in the corners due to the thickness of the material being much skinnier. I ordered from 3 different sources Maximillion, La Jolla and BMW Canada,all are the same part no 51-31-1-812-587<br>In the past there was supposedly a mix up with the front and rear seal - looks very similar.<br>With regards to all the reasons i was told, they made these coupes in the same factory there is NO I repeat NO difference from USA or Euro spec models. The aftermarket glass theory seemed logical, but it is not true even for a slight difference in the concaving of the glass, the rubber should allow for easier installation and cover more adequatly. Hence the problem lies with the gasket itself being too thin. my original rubber was twice as thick.<br>Ian --71 2800 CS, 2 X 72 3.0 CS, 73 3.0 CS, 74 3.0 CS

Merdad
06-30-2000, 11:23 AM
The same subject is being debated on the CS Registry right now and great deal of information is being given. I am qouting one here, but really all of you who are not a member should become one and take advantage of the knowledge there, andhow here it goes.........<br>" It's not that CS and CSi cars are different, rather USA and non USA cars are different because USA cars had to have Federal Safety measures to<br>prevent the windscreen popping out in the event of an accident. Therefore there was a modification made to the frame to incorporate<br>extra fixing mechanisms. Consequently USA models have a unique rubber seal and some extra bits around the frame."<br>" the CSi windscreen gasket that come OFF the car, was quite diffedrent from the one going in. It has a double channel, the CS gasket has only one! My oh my! You can't put a CS gasket on a CSi chassis. Yes, the PN's are different. There is an extra groove in the CSi gasket. A CSi doesn't have those little verticle wedges that go against the glass underneath the gasket either that the CS is supposed to have. Ask Carl nelson about <br>those - I am not certain if you still need them to make the windscreen gasket fit properly, or if it will even go in to a CS without them. All I know is this: a CSi doesn't have them and the CSi <br>windscreen gasket has an extra groove in it to fit the lip of the extra slice of sheet metal on the chassis."<br>Hope this helps.<br>Merdad

doug
06-30-2000, 03:53 PM
<i>all i know is this: my gasket was original and fit perfectly. then i changed it over to a new one (mind you, keeping the same windshield) and now it doesn't fit.<p>it ISN'T the windshield, at least not in my case.<p>doug<br>73 3.0CS<br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index