Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

M3 Willie
12-07-1998, 06:57 PM
I posted this note on another board -- maybe someone here can help.<p>I have a '95 M3 that has been having valve train problems and was wondering if any other M3 fans have heard of anything like this happening.<p>The engine has swallowed valves twice (several valves contacting the tops of their pistons) but I have not been over-revving the engine (I have not, but maybe the dealer's people have). In fact, I was breaking-in the second engine (shifts at 4000 to 4500 rpm) but it sometimes ran on 5 out of 6 cylinders so I brought it in to the dealer that did the work. They pulled the head on the engine and found essentially the same problem as on the old engine (a new long block was installed after the first incident). <p>I have been denied warranty both times but I still maintain my innocence. I know how to drive these cars and would freely admit if I mis-shifted but I simply did not do it.<p>Can anyone explain why this would happen or point me in a direction that may help? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. <p>

Andi
12-08-1998, 12:07 AM
Maybe they forgot to put in the valve springs? :)<p>--Andi<p><i>: I posted this note on another board -- maybe someone here can help.<p>: I have a '95 M3 that has been having valve train problems and was wondering if any other M3 fans have heard of anything like this happening.<p>: The engine has swallowed valves twice (several valves contacting the tops of their pistons) but I have not been over-revving the engine (I have not, but maybe the dealer's people have). In fact, I was breaking-in the second engine (shifts at 4000 to 4500 rpm) but it sometimes ran on 5 out of 6 cylinders so I brought it in to the dealer that did the work. They pulled the head on the engine and found essentially the same problem as on the old engine (a new long block was installed after the first incident). <p>: I have been denied warranty both times but I still maintain my innocence. I know how to drive these cars and would freely admit if I mis-shifted but I simply did not do it.<p>: Can anyone explain why this would happen or point me in a direction that may help? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. <p></i>

Steve
12-08-1998, 09:24 AM
<i>: I posted this note on another board -- maybe someone here can help.<p>: I have a '95 M3 that has been having valve train problems and was wondering if any other M3 fans have heard of anything like this happening.<p>: The engine has swallowed valves twice (several valves contacting the tops of their pistons) but I have not been over-revving the engine (I have not, but maybe the dealer's people have). In fact, I was breaking-in the second engine (shifts at 4000 to 4500 rpm) but it sometimes ran on 5 out of 6 cylinders so I brought it in to the dealer that did the work. They pulled the head on the engine and found essentially the same problem as on the old engine (a new long block was installed after the first incident). <p>: I have been denied warranty both times but I still maintain my innocence. I know how to drive these cars and would freely admit if I mis-shifted but I simply did not do it.<p>: Can anyone explain why this would happen or point me in a direction that may help? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. <p></i>

M3 Willie
12-08-1998, 10:38 AM
The car has about 29000, the new engine has 600 miles on it.

Steve
12-08-1998, 11:07 AM
...I'm amazed they made you pay for it the first time, never mind the second time too. Legally, they have to warrant the work they did on the second motor for some time (? state regulated). I would have talked with BMW NA for the first engine problem. If I didn't get satisfaction, I would see a lawyer about qualifying for the "Lemon Law" with this vehicle.<p>Don't be a push-over with this dealer.<p>Steve<p><i>: The car has about 29000, the new engine has 600 miles on it.<p></i>

M3 Willie
12-08-1998, 11:34 AM
And I hope that Santa is keeping track of who's being naughty and nice.

Bobby
12-08-1998, 03:01 PM
I would see a lawyer about qualifying for the "Lemon Law" with this vehicle.<p>I believe the lemon law applies to a car that was brought back to the dealer for the same problem 4 times within a year.<p>

Rick Carlstrom
12-09-1998, 05:31 PM
<i>: And I hope that Santa is keeping track of who's being naughty and nice.<br></i><p>Typically valves bashing into pistons are caused by a few things.<p>1. Over Reving causing the values to loose contact with the cam.<p>2. Broken timing belt/chain<p>3. Mis-timed timing belt or chain (off a few teeth)<p>4. A piston is installed 180 out of phase so the milled receses do not match the valves (does not apply to all engines).<p>5 The block has been milled to much.<p>6. The heads have been milled too much.<p>7. Weak valve springs not being able to close the valves quick enough.<p>Lets see... <p>You said you did not over-rev the engine so we can throw number 1 away.<p>Since you did not mention a broken timing belt/chain we can throw away number 2.<p>Since the problem happened twice it is highly unlikely that 3 or 4 are applicable.<p>Likewise since they say they replaced the block 5 is unlikely.<p>So we are left with items number 6 and 7. Since the problem has occurred twice the comon factor seems to be the head. I would go back to the dealer and ask them to show documented proof that they checked the length of each spring and valve in the head. Did they check springs for cracks? Did they verify the spring rates of each spring in the valve train? Make them show the actual measurements. Make them prove that they measured the deck height.<p>I used to rebuild engines for the military and we were required to fill out checklists showing each of these critical measurements. However, car dealers are usually not that careful. Since you were willing to fork over the cash for the repair they probably did not spend the time to locate the real problem.<p>Rick<br>Also they could have the wrong cam shaft but that is unlikely.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index