Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Brant
12-10-1998, 11:58 AM
Hi all,<p>This is a question about DIY service: How important is it to have service events earn dealer stamps in your service manual? Obviously major service intervals would be handled by the dealer, but what about things like shorter interval oil changes that I'd do myself. Do I degrade the "value" of my car if I don't let a shop perform these? Is it sufficient to simply mark my service manual saying I performed an oil change? Or doesn't it matter?<p>Thanks for your wisdom,<p>Brant

Steve
12-10-1998, 12:44 PM
May I suggest you keep your own logbook (and receipts) on the car. If it is kept in an orderly fashion and shows the date, miles and description of ALL events (even unscheduled repairs) this is usually more "impressive" at sell time than the dealer book with it's stamps. Especially when you say to the potential buyer things about wanting to service the car yourself because you dont trust the dealer(s) doing it. I have/use a personal logbook (and the dealer service book with stamps) for all my cars....have always done it. I also keep a file with receipts for all items as well.<p>Steve<br>98 E36<br><i>: Hi all,<p>: This is a question about DIY service: How important is it to have service events earn dealer stamps in your service manual? Obviously major service intervals would be handled by the dealer, but what about things like shorter interval oil changes that I'd do myself. Do I degrade the "value" of my car if I don't let a shop perform these? Is it sufficient to simply mark my service manual saying I performed an oil change? Or doesn't it matter?<p>: Thanks for your wisdom,<p>: Brant<p></i>

Brant
12-10-1998, 01:20 PM
<i>: May I suggest you keep your own logbook (and receipts) on the car. If it is kept in an orderly fashion and shows the date, miles and description of ALL events (even unscheduled repairs) this is usually more "impressive" at sell time than the dealer book with it's stamps. Especially when you say to the potential buyer things about wanting to service the car yourself because you dont trust the dealer(s) doing it. I have/use a personal logbook (and the dealer service book with stamps) for all my cars....have always done it. I also keep a file with receipts for all items as well.<p>: Steve<br>: 98 E36<p></i><p>Steve,<p>Yes, I keep logs and receipts on my cars, too. This is my first BMW, and I didn't know how much importance to place on the service logs stamps, as the repairs process hasn't been as "formalized" in this sense with other vehicles I've owned.<p>Thanks,<p>Brant<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index