Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Preston
12-15-1998, 07:46 PM
<br>OK, my school bus sounding brakes have pissed me off enough. Can someone point me in the direction of some good directions on how to get the pads off and put some anti-squeal goop on the back.<p>TIA.<p>Regards,<br>Preston<br>98 M3/4<br>

David Ngo
12-15-1998, 07:57 PM
<i>: <br>: OK, my school bus sounding brakes have pissed me off enough. Can someone point me in the direction of some good directions on how to get the pads off and put some anti-squeal goop on the back.<p>: TIA.<p>: Regards,<br>: Preston<br>: 98 M3/4<p></i><p>Until you can get the anti-squeal stuff, the service advisor at my dealership gave me a tip that seems to help (temporarily, at least.) If you apply your brakes hard while going ~30-40 MPH several times (braking, speeding up, braking, etc.) the squeal will be lessened or eliminated.<p>I tried this today and it seemed to help tremendously. I'm guessing that this helps remove any glazing on the rotors which could contribute to the squeal.<br>

Bruce
12-15-1998, 07:57 PM
go <a href="http://www.bmwmpower.com/ServBull/tsb34059.htm">here</a> then go to your dealer (well if you have after Jan 98 production<p>i am having the same problems with my brakes on my M roadster and i asked the dealer if this TSB applied to my car (should know tomorrow)...if it does i most likely will get teh Euro floating rotors and have them install them at teh same time (30 min labor involved)<p>Bruce

Preston
12-15-1998, 09:45 PM
<br>The dealers response is "they all do that", has no clue about the TSB and doesn't seem to have any desire to find a clue. Dealer is in downtown Boston and is so busy that they don't have any monetary incentive to find a clue (I also didn't buy the car up here so that doesn't help either.)<p>I have done the hard brake application and it does seem to help, although only temporarily.<p>I think a couple hours work on my own would solve the problem and it would be nice to know how to put track pads on in any event.<p>Regards,<br>Preston<br>98 M3/4<br>

Steve
12-16-1998, 04:52 PM
It's for the brake/caliper interface and the wheel/hubs interface at mounting time.<p>Steve<br>98 E36<p><i>: <br>: OK, my school bus sounding brakes have pissed me off enough. Can someone point me in the direction of some good directions on how to get the pads off and put some anti-squeal goop on the back.<p>: TIA.<p>: Regards,<br>: Preston<br>: 98 M3/4<p></i>

Steve
12-16-1998, 11:09 PM
...You can sand your rotors (by hand or using an orbital sander) with some 600 grit sandpaper. It's not a lot of fun. But its only a 2-beer job though. Then clean them really good with Wurth brake-cleaner and apply BMW plastilube between the brake pad and caliper. If you really want to, sand the pads too. Your squealing will be fixed if you do this. Yo have to take the (micro) glaze off your rotors. It is usually from a (very) hard stop before the pads were fully broken in. Anyway, we've fixed some with just the BMW Plastlube too.<p>Steve<br><i>: <br>: The dealers response is "they all do that", has no clue about the TSB and doesn't seem to have any desire to find a clue. Dealer is in downtown Boston and is so busy that they don't have any monetary incentive to find a clue (I also didn't buy the car up here so that doesn't help either.)<p>: I have done the hard brake application and it does seem to help, although only temporarily.<p>: I think a couple hours work on my own would solve the problem and it would be nice to know how to put track pads on in any event.<p>: Regards,<br>: Preston<br>: 98 M3/4<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index