Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

M3 princess
12-20-1998, 12:23 AM
I have a MechTech turbo on my 97 M3. (OBD II) I plan on doing a write up soon. The turbo runs great at WOT but there are some problems with pinging at part throttle. I'm having some software done and will let everyone know the results. The install was a lot more work than MechTech claimed. Even with a competent mechanic it took over 20 hours. The Aerodyne turbo they use seems to perform well, with no lag time. The turbo comes on around 2000 rpm and is at full boost around 3500. I have driven a supercharged 98 M3 and that thing didn't even start to come on until about 4500 rpm and was at full boost around 6000. Makes a big difference when you get the extra horsepower at a lower rpm.

C.L.
12-20-1998, 03:15 AM
does mechtech do obdII? if they do, can you give me more info on that? thanks in advance.

Suzy(M3 Princess)
12-20-1998, 05:51 AM
<i>: does mechtech do obdII? if they do, can you give me more info on that? thanks in advance.<p></i>Yes, the kit is for OBD II. But I need to have the software upgrade before the car will run properly. Just using a fuel pressure regulator (like I am now) is not enough. When the vanos advances the timing from 2400-5100 rpm the compression is too high which causes the pinging. The software upgrade should correct this.

Jimmy
12-20-1998, 09:59 PM
<i>: I have a MechTech turbo on my 97 M3. (OBD II) I plan on doing a write up soon. The turbo runs great at WOT but there are some problems with pinging at part throttle. I'm having some software done and will let everyone know the results. The install was a lot more work than MechTech claimed. Even with a competent mechanic it took over 20 hours. The Aerodyne turbo they use seems to perform well, with no lag time. The turbo comes on around 2000 rpm and is at full boost around 3500. I have driven a supercharged 98 M3 and that thing didn't even start to come on until about 4500 rpm and was at full boost around 6000. Makes a big difference when you get the extra horsepower at a lower rpm.<p></i>

Suzy
12-20-1998, 11:10 PM
<i>: : I have a MechTech turbo on my 97 M3. (OBD II) I plan on doing a write up soon. The turbo runs great at WOT but there are some problems with pinging at part throttle. I'm having some software done and will let everyone know the results. The install was a lot more work than MechTech claimed. Even with a competent mechanic it took over 20 hours. The Aerodyne turbo they use seems to perform well, with no lag time. The turbo comes on around 2000 rpm and is at full boost around 3500. I have driven a supercharged 98 M3 and that thing didn't even start to come on until about 4500 rpm and was at full boost around 6000. Makes a big difference when you get the extra horsepower at a lower rpm.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index