Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

DCC
12-21-1998, 11:37 PM
Anybody have a problem with their E36 M3 alignment???<br>I'm on my 2nd M3 and the factory alignment is just as bad as ever. Steering wheel is off-center and car pulls to the right (with no crown on the road).<br>If there are any tips on the correct alignment specs, I would appreciate it.<p>Thanks<p>Daniel

Bruce
12-22-1998, 12:55 AM
<i>:Steering wheel is off-center </i><p>same in my M roadster (and a lot of others), dealer fixed<p><i>: If there are any tips on the correct alignment specs, I would appreciate it.</i><p>i know that in the 95 M3 there are VERY specific rules the dealer has to follow (read adding certain weight in certain places in the car) to get the correct alignment- makes sure the dealer follows them since i would expect they also apply to the later M3s<p>Bruce

Cage
12-22-1998, 12:50 PM
I found this on the E36 digest...<p>45 kg (150lbs) in each front seat and in the center of the rear seat, plus 22 kg (45 lbs) in the center of the rear<br>trunk, for a grand total of 157 kg (495 lbs), a full tank of gas, and spare installed. <p>If you try to align to the BMW specs without these weights you'll be way off. Ride heights are also based off of<br>these weights being installed. <p>Now my question is how are they going to get 150 pounds in each seat? I doubt they are going to have 3 guys just sitting in the car when the alignment is taking place. They definitely aren't going to use weights (try putting 150lbs. in the center of the back seat while bending over the door sills!). Bruce, do you know if these numbers are for real?

Bruce
12-22-1998, 10:31 PM
<i>: I found this on the E36 digest...<p>: 45 kg (150lbs) in each front seat and in the center of the rear seat, plus 22 kg (45 lbs) in the center of the rear<br>: trunk, for a grand total of 157 kg (495 lbs), a full tank of gas, and spare installed. <p>: If you try to align to the BMW specs without these weights you'll be way off. Ride heights are also based off of<br>: these weights being installed. <p>: Now my question is how are they going to get 150 pounds in each seat? I doubt they are going to have 3 guys just sitting in the car when the alignment is taking place. They definitely aren't going to use weights (try putting 150lbs. in the center of the back seat while bending over the door sills!). Bruce, do you know if these numbers are for real?</i><p>i believe these are posted by Mark Sipe or it was on the E36 M3 mailing list...if it was on either one, i believe it...i am not sure if these are just for the 95 or not<p>Bruce

slc1230
12-23-1998, 01:37 AM
If the tech knows how to do an alignment he doesn't have to add weight to the car. BMW specifies weight added to all their cars to do an alignment. But if the technician who aligns the car knows enough to adjust the suspension to the far side of the tolerance one way or the other to allow for suspension squat he can get away with out putting weight in the car.<br>SLC1230

Steve
12-23-1998, 08:41 AM
<i>: I found this on the E36 digest...<p>: 45 kg (150lbs) in each front seat and in the center of the rear seat, plus 22 kg (45 lbs) in the center of the rear<br>: trunk, for a grand total of 157 kg (495 lbs), a full tank of gas, and spare installed. <p>: If you try to align to the BMW specs without these weights you'll be way off. Ride heights are also based off of<br>: these weights being installed. <p>: Now my question is how are they going to get 150 pounds in each seat? I doubt they are going to have 3 guys just sitting in the car when the alignment is taking place. They definitely aren't going to use weights (try putting 150lbs. in the center of the back seat while bending over the door sills!). Bruce, do you know if these numbers are for real?<p></i>

DCC
12-24-1998, 08:40 PM
According to the Hunter Alignment guide for 1998 cars.<br>The M3 does not need any pre-loading to align.<br>All other 3 series E36 cars require:<br>150# in each front seat<br>150# in middle of rear seat<br>46# in middle of trunk with spare and full tank of gas<p>I did not quite understand<p>Dan<p><p><br><i>: If the tech knows how to do an alignment he doesn't have to add weight to the car. BMW specifies weight added to all their cars to do an alignment. But if the technician who aligns the car knows enough to adjust the suspension to the far side of the tolerance one way or the other to allow for suspension squat he can get away with out putting weight in the car.<br>: SLC1230<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index