Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Please Answer this!
12-23-1998, 02:50 PM
Is the feature on alarm: The Automatic Starter<br>is that good or will that mess up your car?<br>You know what i mean? Like you can turn on your car from outside..<p>also.. which model of alarm would you guyz prefer with my 98 318i ? <p>let me know<p>

DCC
12-23-1998, 03:04 PM
Auto start is only available for cars equipped with automatic transmission. Is your car a automatic?<br>If it is, there is no harm to install it.<br>Just keep in mind that BMW does not recommend excessive idling with cold engine, they rather you drive them immediately with restraint.<p>Dan<p><p><br><i>: Is the feature on alarm: The Automatic Starter<br>: is that good or will that mess up your car?<br>: You know what i mean? Like you can turn on your car from outside..<p>: also.. which model of alarm would you guyz prefer with my 98 318i ? <p>: let me know<p></i>

Hejo
12-23-1998, 03:49 PM
Yes.. my car is automatic.<p>So it is a good feature right? <br>What do yo mean by "Just keep in mind that BMW does not recommend excessive idling with cold engine, they rather you drive them immediately with restraint." ????<p>do you have alarm.. if so which?? which one should i get??

m3ben
12-23-1998, 04:34 PM
<br>: What do yo mean by "Just keep in mind that BMW does not recommend excessive idling with cold engine, they rather you drive them immediately with restraint." ????<p></i><p>that means bmw do not recommend you to turn on the engine for 20 minutes to warm up. it recommend you to start your car, warm up for a minute, and then drive the car without stepping too hard on the gas pedal.

Dick Fitswell
12-23-1998, 04:37 PM
The Klingon XZ9000. It also has a remote starter feature that you can activate with your TV or VCR remote control. I bought mine at K-Mart for $69.95 including installation.

rebecca
12-23-1998, 09:22 PM
you are one funny person aren't you? so i can take my neighbors' tv control and turn on my $30,000 car... good idea!!! heheh..<p>

rebecca
12-23-1998, 09:24 PM
Everyone i talk to.. tell me you have to keep your car running for several minutes.. and thats from experience.. they say the oil is think in the morning and if you don't let it warm up then your oil would be thick and would mess up your pistons and cylinders and stuff.<p>

Bill G.
12-24-1998, 01:53 AM
<i><br></i>.

vic
12-24-1998, 03:13 AM
<i>: The Klingon XZ9000. It also has a remote starter feature that you can activate with your TV or VCR remote control. I bought mine at K-Mart for $69.95 including installation. <p><br>anything with the name Klingon should be enough to make you want to turn back and go in the opposite direction. But you may want to try Clifford Electronics, they're quite good and believe me, that's saying something from someone living in NYC.<br></i>

Rick Carlstrom
12-24-1998, 07:34 AM
Thats one point of view. Another is that when it is cold and the engine is idling combustion efficiency is way down. The mixure is enriched by the computer. This can lead to lots of nasty combustion by-products getting into your oil and severly shortening the life of the.<p>An engine idling and pulling 20" Hg vacum will take much longer to "warm up" Then just letting the oil pressure come up and driving gently putting a mild load on the engine.<p>As far as the oil being too thick. Todays synthetic high viscosity index oils blow away what was avaliable 20 or 30 years ago when the long warm up was popular. One of the last places the oil reaches is the valve lifters if they are not making noise and are properly pumped up you can be pretty sure that oil is getting evertwhere it is needed.<p>Rick<br>PS: I R an Engineer and I built engines and did burn in tests on Large engines

PHAT M3
12-24-1998, 02:06 PM
<i>: Is the feature on alarm: The Automatic Starter<br>: is that good or will that mess up your car?<br>: You know what i mean? Like you can turn on your car from outside..<p>: also.. which model of alarm would you guyz prefer with my 98 318i ? <p>: let me know<p></i>

Preston
12-27-1998, 08:01 PM
<i>: Auto start is only available for cars equipped with automatic transmission. Is your car a automatic?<br>: If it is, there is no harm to install it.<br>: Just keep in mind that BMW does not recommend excessive idling with cold engine, they rather you drive them immediately with restraint.<p>: Dan<p><br>: <br>: : Is the feature on alarm: The Automatic Starter<br>: : is that good or will that mess up your car?<br>: : You know what i mean? Like you can turn on your car from outside..<p>: : also.. which model of alarm would you guyz prefer with my 98 318i ? <p>: : let me know<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index