Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Franco
12-24-1998, 09:55 AM
Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br> What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br> Thanks in advance.

Michael Russell
12-24-1998, 10:02 AM
Let me just say that "All Season" tires are a horrible compromise. They are not so great in the dry, and are just terrible in the snow. Dont do it if you can avoid it, if you are at all performance oriented, you will NOT be happy, and they are just plain unsafe in the snow too.

Frank S
12-24-1998, 11:58 AM
With an e36 M3 you need snow tires if you expect to get around in winter (and not buy a winter beater). I had no probs getting thru 3 inches of snow and ice this am with my Pirelli 210 Winter Asimetrico tires (225-45-17 all around) mounted on 17 x 7.5 Motorsport replica wheels. My 98 has traction control, also a big help in the winter with snow and ice. Those in the hardest hit areas of the snow belts will want 16" wheels and tires for even better snow performance, but beware, relatively few 16" rims will fit over the M3 brake calipers.

jb
12-24-1998, 07:58 PM
<i><br>I'd have to agree with the Pirelli 210's--just had them mounted on an extra set of stock 17"'s.<br>Had an ice storm this week--enough to seal car doors flat shut--as well as the roads. <p>'98 M3 had absolutely no problems, even in areas where it was difficult to walk. Also only notice small differences ( >70 mph & cornering) from the stock Pilots in overall feel. I'd definitely recommend them, if you can find them; may be able to get a deal; I was told [discount tire & tire rack] that they were being discontinued.<br></i>

Dave Ngo
12-25-1998, 02:30 PM
<i>: Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: Thanks in advance. <p></i><br>I would have to agree with the others in recommending the Pirelli 210 Asymmetricos. I would have been stuck an hour away from home if a kind gentleman had not sold me a set of wheels and Pirellis on Monday. I mounted them on Tuesday, it snowed on Wednesday night here (in NJ.)<p>I had the opportunity to play with the tires a little in a big, empty snow-covered parking lot. ASC+T and ABS help a ton while going straight. Sharp turns are still an issue, though shutting off ASC+T and hanging out the back of the car is fun. :-)

Peet
12-25-1998, 08:14 PM
I just got a bridgestone snow tire (actually called Bridgestone Winter WT05 - not blizzak). These things are amazing... unlike other snows they are H rated (<135 MPH - most snows are Q for <95 MPH).. With ASC turned on, 90 degree turns at full throttle slip 0" yep - perfect track. UNBELIEVABLE!<p>What's better yet, I did not like the wheels that Tire Rack offered (Mille Uglyias) so I asked what else they had, he suggested the ATP ET41. He said they look like BMW's 5 spoke wheel. I expected the Motorsport replica that other places offered. Imagine my surprise when the M3 Lux replicas show up! These things look as good as the real thing (my emblems from the 10 spokes go into the center) and the tires are low profile.<p>What's more, traction is better in the snow, then wet traction with the Michelin MXX3s!<p>Forget Pirelli!<p>Package price including 4 wheels, 4 tires and mounting shipping etc... $1311. Not cheap, but what a great package.<p><br><i>: Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: Thanks in advance. <p></i>

Steve
12-26-1998, 12:19 PM
<i>Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>Steve<p>: Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: Thanks in advance. <p><br></i>

KennyB
12-27-1998, 10:44 AM
<i>: Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>: Steve<p>: : Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: : What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: : Thanks in advance. <p><p></i> I agree with Steve, I bought the same set-up - Guardex 600 (225/45/17) with the 5 double spoke replica wheels. They look great...they even came with the BMW center caps and lugs (although I used the stock blk lugs...just thought they looked better. I originally wanted the Pirelli Winter 210's, but they were out of stock. I put the tires on around Thanksgiving (due to the fact that my rear Michelins needed to be replaced and I still had the memories of driving (or for that matter, trying to drive) on 1" of snow, in my driveway, with the MXX3's. Well let me tell you, on dry roads, its like driving ....well a sedan. But I kept telling myself, they are SNOW TIRES!!! We had our first snow last Wednesday and driving in the snow couldn't have been better. I saw a few RWD cars spinning their wheels, while I just kept on going. I might even consider taking the car to the ski slopes. Just keep in mind (at least with the Guardex) that each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires.

Frank S
12-28-1998, 08:59 AM
Doesn't this discussion always seem to boil down to 'get what I got' (or what I sell - buyer beware those who are naming or advertising retailers in their posts). On the M3 digest this whole subject has been banned, due to the plain silliness that erupts whenever people talk snow tires. I like the Pirelli's because they don't compromise dry handling as much as the Bridgestone WT-05s that I have driven on in the past, but they do sacrifice some snow and ice traction for this.I also have 17<br>" snow tires, and many would argue for real snow situations 16" would work better. I don't live in the midwest snow belt , so it's not that important. I have no data on the Yoko Guardex - one way or another. I think the bottom line is that winter tires are like engine oil, most people have no real data, just very strong personal preferences. <p>Frank S.<br>98 M3 with snow shoes on

Steve
12-29-1998, 10:46 AM
(Follow-up from Steve below):<br>I mounted the Yokohama Guardex 600s on the BMW double spoke replicas this weekend. Took the car out for a drive and they handle pretty good--actually I was impressed on how well they handle/ride etc. No shimmy--no vibration (took her up to 80 mph). And the wheels look great--just like the real thing. I just looked out the window and its snowing again here in CT. Got em on just-in-time ;-)<p>Steve<p><i>: Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>: Steve<p>: : Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: : What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: : Thanks in advance. <p><br></i>

Steve
12-29-1998, 11:08 AM
You gave me quite a scare when I read your message (below) saying the Yokohama Guardex 600 tires are directional("...each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires"). I just mounted my Yoko Guardex 600 that came on the BMW replica wheels and did not notice any directional arrows on the tires. I called Dicount Tire Direct at 1-800-589-6789 (as I read your message) and asked if they were directional. To my relief they said "the Guardex 600 are NOT directional tires". They also said I should inform you of that as well. So here you go. BTW: I used the stock (black) lugs too...they look a lot better.<p>Steve<br>98 E36<p><i>: : Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>: : Steve<p>: : : Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: : : What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: : : Thanks in advance. <p><br>: I agree with Steve, I bought the same set-up - Guardex 600 (225/45/17) with the 5 double spoke replica wheels. They look great...they even came with the BMW center caps and lugs (although I used the stock blk lugs...just thought they looked better. I originally wanted the Pirelli Winter 210's, but they were out of stock. I put the tires on around Thanksgiving (due to the fact that my rear Michelins needed to be replaced and I still had the memories of driving (or for that matter, trying to drive) on 1" of snow, in my driveway, with the MXX3's. Well let me tell you, on dry roads, its like driving ....well a sedan. But I kept telling myself, they are SNOW TIRES!!! We had our first snow last Wednesday and driving in the snow couldn't have been better. I saw a few RWD cars spinning their wheels, while I just kept on going. I might even consider taking the car to the ski slopes. Just keep in mind (at least with the Guardex) that each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires. <p></i>

Steve
12-29-1998, 11:21 AM
Are you sure you didn't get the Yokohama Guardex 310 (as opposed to Guardex 600) tires? Those ARE directional tires I believe.<p>Steve<br>98 E36<p><br><i>: You gave me quite a scare when I read your message (below) saying the Yokohama Guardex 600 tires are directional("...each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires"). I just mounted my Yoko Guardex 600 that came on the BMW replica wheels and did not notice any directional arrows on the tires. I called Dicount Tire Direct at 1-800-589-6789 (as I read your message) and asked if they were directional. To my relief they said "the Guardex 600 are NOT directional tires". They also said I should inform you of that as well. So here you go. BTW: I used the stock (black) lugs too...they look a lot better.<p>: Steve<br>: 98 E36<p>: : : Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>: : : Steve<p>: : : : Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: : : : What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: : : : Thanks in advance. <p>: <br>: : I agree with Steve, I bought the same set-up - Guardex 600 (225/45/17) with the 5 double spoke replica wheels. They look great...they even came with the BMW center caps and lugs (although I used the stock blk lugs...just thought they looked better. I originally wanted the Pirelli Winter 210's, but they were out of stock. I put the tires on around Thanksgiving (due to the fact that my rear Michelins needed to be replaced and I still had the memories of driving (or for that matter, trying to drive) on 1" of snow, in my driveway, with the MXX3's. Well let me tell you, on dry roads, its like driving ....well a sedan. But I kept telling myself, they are SNOW TIRES!!! We had our first snow last Wednesday and driving in the snow couldn't have been better. I saw a few RWD cars spinning their wheels, while I just kept on going. I might even consider taking the car to the ski slopes. Just keep in mind (at least with the Guardex) that each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires. <p></i>

KennyB
01-01-1999, 11:18 AM
<i>:So after reading your message (and actually looking at the tires) I noticed that they are not 600's but Guardex Profuse. Don't know exactly the difference. I called my rep. at Discount tire and he told me that they are a bit more of a performance snow (they have a "R" speed rating). I e-mailed Yokohama to see if the Rep. was giving me a line of bull. I'll let you know what they say. All I can say for now is that I am sorry for making you worry about your tires and I'll be looking closer at the tires that I order. Let me know how your tires perform. If you want you can e-mail me at Benimobile@aol.com so that I can avoid more embarassment on this page.<br>KennyB 97 M3/4<p> Are you sure you didn't get the Yokohama Guardex 310 (as opposed to Guardex 600) tires? Those ARE directional tires I believe.<p>: Steve<br>: 98 E36<p>: <br>: : You gave me quite a scare when I read your message (below) saying the Yokohama Guardex 600 tires are directional("...each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires"). I just mounted my Yoko Guardex 600 that came on the BMW replica wheels and did not notice any directional arrows on the tires. I called Dicount Tire Direct at 1-800-589-6789 (as I read your message) and asked if they were directional. To my relief they said "the Guardex 600 are NOT directional tires". They also said I should inform you of that as well. So here you go. BTW: I used the stock (black) lugs too...they look a lot better.<p>: : Steve<br>: : 98 E36<p>: : : : Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>: : : : Steve<p>: : : : : Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: : : : : What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: : : : : Thanks in advance. <p>: : <br>: : : I agree with Steve, I bought the same set-up - Guardex 600 (225/45/17) with the 5 double spoke replica wheels. They look great...they even came with the BMW center caps and lugs (although I used the stock blk lugs...just thought they looked better. I originally wanted the Pirelli Winter 210's, but they were out of stock. I put the tires on around Thanksgiving (due to the fact that my rear Michelins needed to be replaced and I still had the memories of driving (or for that matter, trying to drive) on 1" of snow, in my driveway, with the MXX3's. Well let me tell you, on dry roads, its like driving ....well a sedan. But I kept telling myself, they are SNOW TIRES!!! We had our first snow last Wednesday and driving in the snow couldn't have been better. I saw a few RWD cars spinning their wheels, while I just kept on going. I might even consider taking the car to the ski slopes. Just keep in mind (at least with the Guardex) that each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires. <p></i>

Steve
01-01-1999, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the follow-up Kenny. I read your first post while I was at work so I had to wait until I got home to have a closer look at the 600 tires (dark outside-needed light etc) on my car. So when I got home in my garage I carefully inspected them and saw that there weren't any directional markings (to my relief). Anyway, I suspected we were talking about different Yoko's because I was sure you probably did see rotation arrows. Its kinda hard to 'make-up' that kind-of thing;) Take care.<p>Steve<p><i>: :So after reading your message (and actually looking at the tires) I noticed that they are not 600's but Guardex Profuse. Don't know exactly the difference. I called my rep. at Discount tire and he told me that they are a bit more of a performance snow (they have a "R" speed rating). I e-mailed Yokohama to see if the Rep. was giving me a line of bull. I'll let you know what they say. All I can say for now is that I am sorry for making you worry about your tires and I'll be looking closer at the tires that I order. Let me know how your tires perform. If you want you can e-mail me at Benimobile@aol.com so that I can avoid more embarassment on this page.<br>: KennyB 97 M3/4<p>: Are you sure you didn't get the Yokohama Guardex 310 (as opposed to Guardex 600) tires? Those ARE directional tires I believe.<p>: : Steve<br>: : 98 E36<p>: : <br>: : : You gave me quite a scare when I read your message (below) saying the Yokohama Guardex 600 tires are directional("...each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires"). I just mounted my Yoko Guardex 600 that came on the BMW replica wheels and did not notice any directional arrows on the tires. I called Dicount Tire Direct at 1-800-589-6789 (as I read your message) and asked if they were directional. To my relief they said "the Guardex 600 are NOT directional tires". They also said I should inform you of that as well. So here you go. BTW: I used the stock (black) lugs too...they look a lot better.<p>: : : Steve<br>: : : 98 E36<p>: : : : : Yokohama Guardex 600s mounted on BMW replica wheels. Great price and great wheels. Go to www.tires.com and look under "winter tires". Haven't tried them yet but they have a very agressive-looking tread pattern. I'll be mounting them this weekend.<p>: : : : : Steve<p>: : : : : : Ok, so last night it snowed and what a hell of a time I had driving in JUST 1" of snow. Of course that was with the stock tires. <br>: : : : : : What are some tire recommendations you suggest... If I can avoid getting snow tires and using year round normal tires, that would be great! <br>: : : : : : Thanks in advance. <p>: : : <br>: : : : I agree with Steve, I bought the same set-up - Guardex 600 (225/45/17) with the 5 double spoke replica wheels. They look great...they even came with the BMW center caps and lugs (although I used the stock blk lugs...just thought they looked better. I originally wanted the Pirelli Winter 210's, but they were out of stock. I put the tires on around Thanksgiving (due to the fact that my rear Michelins needed to be replaced and I still had the memories of driving (or for that matter, trying to drive) on 1" of snow, in my driveway, with the MXX3's. Well let me tell you, on dry roads, its like driving ....well a sedan. But I kept telling myself, they are SNOW TIRES!!! We had our first snow last Wednesday and driving in the snow couldn't have been better. I saw a few RWD cars spinning their wheels, while I just kept on going. I might even consider taking the car to the ski slopes. Just keep in mind (at least with the Guardex) that each tire has a rotation direction which is marked on the tires. <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index