Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ganesh Bell
12-27-1998, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone!<br>this is my first posting to this group. I own a 95 M3 and last weeek it failed state inspection due to worn out tires. Actually I think it is good for another 3000 miles, but the inspector wouldn't let it slide ( i still have at least a 1~2mm depth before I reach the wear indicators).<p>Anyway, I researched the last two days and decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza S02 Pole Position. This is the newest tire on the market (tire rack found it to be the best in a head to head comparison with all other tires equipped on a 328) and also one of most expensive ones. The Michellin that the car comes with is atleast 4-year old technology.<p>Does anyone have aopinion about my S02Pole position? I live in Charlotte,NC, USA - no snow and medium rain. My concerns are performance, ride comfort and tire noise.<p>Now the big question - What size can I fit? My 1995 M3 has 17 inch wheels x 7.5 inch width (the M3 Lux model) and 235/40ZR17 on all wheels. I understand that the next year's model went 17"x8" at the rear and stayed the same at the front, and they take 225/45ZR17 at the front and 245/45ZR17 at the rear. Can I utilize the new size tires on my rims? According to the Bridgestone recomendation, the 225/45/ZR17 will fit rims between 7"-8.5" in width, and the 245/45ZR17 will fit rims 7.5"-9" in width. Has anyone doen this underszing in the front and oversizing at the rear? any inputs appriciated.<p>I'm interested in doing this primarrily b'cos I heard the 45 aspect ratio reduces tire noise and increases ride comfort. I also heard that the smaller width tires help turn in better and wider rear tires help traction while accelaration and hard cornering.<p>Please email me directly.<br>Thanks,<p>Ganesh Bell<br>gbell@earthlink.net<p>

j ohn W
12-27-1998, 01:36 PM
I've been trying to get an answer to this same <br>question posted on M Haven. No response so far.<br>If you hear of anything on this topic, please post your findings!<p>I agree the change to the 96-99 tire combo would be best for the reasons you have stated with emphasis on comfort. Some tell me its in the suspension of the '95 and changing tires won't help that much. And too, the bigger tires destroy the great look of the '95 M3. I have had 245/45/17 on the rear of mine, and when I switched back to the 235/40/17, didn't notice any change in comfort. But this can be rationalized as being most of the softer ride, if any, is coming from the front tires anyway. My next buy on tires will be the 225/45 on the front. My rides so rough on bumpy roads, I can't get the wife to ride in it anymore, so anything is worth a try.

Ganesh Bell
12-27-1998, 01:46 PM
<i>: I've been trying to get an answer to this same <br>: question posted on M Haven. No response so far.<br>: If you hear of anything on this topic, please post your findings!<p>:I have had 245/45/17 on the rear of mine, and when I switched back to the 235/40/17, didn't notice any change in comfort. <br></i><p>Did the 245/45/17 at the rear improve/affect performance/comfort/looks in any way. And dose it screw up speedo calibration?<p><p>

john W
12-27-1998, 02:08 PM
<i> <p>: Did the 245/45/17 at the rear improve/affect performance/comfort/looks in any way. And dose it screw up speedo calibration?<p>They made the M3 look great (about 1/2 inch higher in rear), filled the wheel wells completely without any rub on sharp turns. However, the math showed a 3-6% loss in acceleration from the larger diameter tires (nothing noticeable in speedo error). I bought the car with the 245/45 on already, and switched to the 235/40 just to get it back to the factory look and maybe gain any loss in loss acceleration. The smart move would have been to leave them on the rear and put the 225/45 on the front, but hell, that's hindsight. Keep in mind, the 95 M3's look alot better than the newer models and the reason is the low profile tires, change them and the looks change too.<br></i>

m3niko
12-27-1998, 05:31 PM
The '96-newer M3's do have 225/45 fronts on 7.5" rims and 245/40 rears on 8.5" rims, but they also have different suspension calibrations to match with the new tire sizes. Like you've noticed, the '95 M3 has the same size tires at all 4 corners. If you were to put skinnier tires in front, and wider in the rear, then the car would tend to understeer more. I'd suggest keeping the same tire size at all four corners.<p>As far as which size to use, I'd suggest the factory 235/40. You could use 225/45 tires, but then you *might* lose some cornering ability at the limit due to the skinnier tires. Installing the 245/40 tires all around is also possible, but I'd question how well they would look mounted on a 7.5" rim.<p>I'd greatly doubt that the decrease (if any) of road noise due to the SLIGHT increase in sidewall height of the 225/45 and 245/40 tires is noticeable versus the stock 235/40 size.<p>Nick<br>'95 M3 (with stock 235/40 MXX3's)<p><i>: Hi everyone!<br>: this is my first posting to this group. I own a 95 M3 and last weeek it failed state inspection due to worn out tires. Actually I think it is good for another 3000 miles, but the inspector wouldn't let it slide ( i still have at least a 1~2mm depth before I reach the wear indicators).<p>: Anyway, I researched the last two days and decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza S02 Pole Position. This is the newest tire on the market (tire rack found it to be the best in a head to head comparison with all other tires equipped on a 328) and also one of most expensive ones. The Michellin that the car comes with is atleast 4-year old technology.<p>: Does anyone have aopinion about my S02Pole position? I live in Charlotte,NC, USA - no snow and medium rain. My concerns are performance, ride comfort and tire noise.<p>: Now the big question - What size can I fit? My 1995 M3 has 17 inch wheels x 7.5 inch width (the M3 Lux model) and 235/40ZR17 on all wheels. I understand that the next year's model went 17"x8" at the rear and stayed the same at the front, and they take 225/45ZR17 at the front and 245/45ZR17 at the rear. Can I utilize the new size tires on my rims? According to the Bridgestone recomendation, the 225/45/ZR17 will fit rims between 7"-8.5" in width, and the 245/45ZR17 will fit rims 7.5"-9" in width. Has anyone doen this underszing in the front and oversizing at the rear? any inputs appriciated.<p>: I'm interested in doing this primarrily b'cos I heard the 45 aspect ratio reduces tire noise and increases ride comfort. I also heard that the smaller width tires help turn in better and wider rear tires help traction while accelaration and hard cornering.<p>: Please email me directly.<br>: Thanks,<p>: Ganesh Bell<br>: gbell@earthlink.net<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index