Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ted Telesky
12-28-1998, 07:30 PM
I have a 1995 M3. Does anyone know if these are prewired for the factory alarm/keyless entry? Can I just buy the module and plug it in or do I need to have a dealer/installer do it.<p>Thanks<br>Ted<br>P.S. Same applies to the on board computer.

m3niko
12-28-1998, 09:33 PM
Yes, your '95 M3 is prewired for the factory alarm. What I did was buy the appropriate plug and pins from the dealer and made my own wiring harness adapter to plug in my aftermarket alarm.<p>Nick<br>'95 M3<p><i>: I have a 1995 M3. Does anyone know if these are prewired for the factory alarm/keyless entry? Can I just buy the module and plug it in or do I need to have a dealer/installer do it.<p>: Thanks<br>: Ted<br>: P.S. Same applies to the on board computer.<p></i>

Ted Telesky
12-28-1998, 11:27 PM
Nick,<br>I would like to just drop in a factory alarm. (I assume this includes keyless entry) Would this be easy to do? Are there any directions posted on the web? If it is a matter of just plugging a module in, I have no idea where to look - I have only had the car for 2 weeks and have a lot to learn about BMW's.<p>I do have to ask, did you opt for an after market because it was better, cheaper, both? I am actually only interested in the keyless entry - the alarm is optional.<p>Thanks again.<br>Ted<p><i>: Yes, your '95 M3 is prewired for the factory alarm. What I did was buy the appropriate plug and pins from the dealer and made my own wiring harness adapter to plug in my aftermarket alarm.<p>: Nick<br>: '95 M3<p>: : I have a 1995 M3. Does anyone know if these are prewired for the factory alarm/keyless entry? Can I just buy the module and plug it in or do I need to have a dealer/installer do it.<p>: : Thanks<br>: : Ted<br>: : P.S. Same applies to the on board computer.<p></i>

Bobby
12-29-1998, 10:21 AM
I just got the factory alarm installed on my M3. I was thinking about going aftermarket but I didn't want them to chop up the wiring and the BMW's already have a built-in fuel cutoff. I wanted the keyless entry too. Putting the alarm in isn't hard, it's adjusting the sensors that's tricky. That's why I had the dealer install it. I got them to lower the price of the alarm to $398, same price that BavAuto was selling it for. If they don't come down in price, buy it mail-order and have them install it. Should take no more than 2 hrs. to install and adjust at the dealer. ($75/hr)<p>-Bobby

Ted Telesky
12-29-1998, 10:32 AM
Bobby,<br>What year of M3 do you have? I have seen the alarm for my 1995 at $369.00<p>BTW, does the factory alarm close the windows if they are open?<p>Thanks<br>Ted<p><i>: I just got the factory alarm installed on my M3. I was thinking about going aftermarket but I didn't want them to chop up the wiring and the BMW's already have a built-in fuel cutoff. I wanted the keyless entry too. Putting the alarm in isn't hard, it's adjusting the sensors that's tricky. That's why I had the dealer install it. I got them to lower the price of the alarm to $398, same price that BavAuto was selling it for. If they don't come down in price, buy it mail-order and have them install it. Should take no more than 2 hrs. to install and adjust at the dealer. ($75/hr)<p>: -Bobby<p></i>

JJ
12-29-1998, 12:34 PM
I just ordered this system but have not recieved it yet. I have read some good things about it. The remote for the BMW unit is big, ugly and square. This one looks smaller and rounded.

Bobby
12-29-1998, 01:03 PM
I have a '98. I think the factory alarm is an Alpine 8059. I saw an Alpine and the remotes are identical except the BMW has its logo on the remote. I don't know if it will close the windows. I don't think so.<p>-Bobby

Bobby
12-29-1998, 01:05 PM
The alarms for older BMW's have the square remote with 3 buttons. The alarms for the newer BMW's have a roundish 2 button remote.<p>-Bobby

Bobby
12-29-1998, 01:51 PM
Correction... Alpine 8052<p>http://203.22.120.97:8080/servlet/TestServlet?schema=C:\InetPub\products_template.ht ml&args.1=110

m3niko
12-29-1998, 01:51 PM
The factory alarm is a very easy install. It comes with a complete instruction manual. Basically, you remove the glovebox (about 6-8 screws), mount the alarm's 'brain', and plug in the alarm's wiring harness into the factory plug (which is located near the firewall behind the glovebox. You then run the microphone and LED wires over to the knock-out panels by the sunglass holder. The siren mounts under the hood, right behind the pass. headlight. The connector is already there. All you do is bolt on the siren and plug it in. Like I said, the alarm comes with complete instructions. For a good price on BMW parts (including alarms), try contacting Stephen at flbearcub@aol.com . He works at the parts counter of a BMW dealership and usually gives 25% off list price.<p>I went with an aftermarket alarm because 1) it was cheaper, 2) I already had it laying around from a previous car, and 3) the aftermarket unit is more 'upgradeable' as far as sensors are concerned.<p>Nick<p><i>: Nick,<br>: I would like to just drop in a factory alarm. (I assume this includes keyless entry) Would this be easy to do? Are there any directions posted on the web? If it is a matter of just plugging a module in, I have no idea where to look - I have only had the car for 2 weeks and have a lot to learn about BMW's.<p>: I do have to ask, did you opt for an after market because it was better, cheaper, both? I am actually only interested in the keyless entry - the alarm is optional.<p>: Thanks again.<br>: Ted<p>: : Yes, your '95 M3 is prewired for the factory alarm. What I did was buy the appropriate plug and pins from the dealer and made my own wiring harness adapter to plug in my aftermarket alarm.<p>: : Nick<br>: : '95 M3<p>: : : I have a 1995 M3. Does anyone know if these are prewired for the factory alarm/keyless entry? Can I just buy the module and plug it in or do I need to have a dealer/installer do it.<p>: : : Thanks<br>: : : Ted<br>: : : P.S. Same applies to the on board computer.<p></i>

Ted Telesky
12-29-1998, 01:59 PM
I assume you got the one for the 96-98 models? I see this does windows and sunroof. I think it is possible on my 95... I am just not sure how <g>.<p>Let me know how you like your system... I am not buying for a month or so...<p>Thanks<br>Ted<p><i>: I just ordered this system but have not recieved it yet. I have read some good things about it. The remote for the BMW unit is big, ugly and square. This one looks smaller and rounded.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index