Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jerry
12-28-1998, 11:12 PM
Has anyone got any opinions on tires for a '98 M3?<p>My M3 with 13K miles came with MXX3 tires and the rears are due for replacement soon.<p>I would like to hear from anyone who has tried less expensive tires like that last a little longer.<p>I am aware that in terms of absolute performance, the stock tires are hard to beat. But, I am willing to sacrifice a little performance for longer wear.<p>The car is a daily driver in a snow free environment.<p><p><p><br>

Bruce
12-29-1998, 12:12 AM
<i>: I would like to hear from anyone who has tried less expensive tires like that last a little longer.</i><p>i hear the Dunlop 8000s (NOT the 8080Es) are good tires (and are less than $100)<p>i had to replace the tires on my M roadster after 1800 miles (defective) and switched from the OE 8080Es (they suck) to Bridgestone S-02S Pole Positions...the PPs are GREAT rain tires, not the best for high performance (steering response a bit lacking), but they are expensive (but the Firestone SZ50s are made on the same line from what i hear and use the same technology and are cheaper than the PPs- not sure how much they cost)<p>i don't know how much i will get out of the PPs (i also have a set of aardvarks for the track)...i have about 5000-5500 on them and they still look pretty new...i would get them again in a hearbeat for one simple reason- RAIN<p>Bruce<br>98 M roadster<br>(tire saga <a href="http://www2.txcyber.com/~gobuffs/MyM/problems.html">here</a>, read #2)

Tino
12-29-1998, 06:10 AM
<i>: : I would like to hear from anyone who has tried less expensive tires like that last a little longer.<p>: i hear the Dunlop 8000s (NOT the 8080Es) are good tires (and are less than $100)<p>: i had to replace the tires on my M roadster after 1800 miles (defective) and switched from the OE 8080Es (they suck) to Bridgestone S-02S Pole Positions...the PPs are GREAT rain tires, not the best for high performance (steering response a bit lacking), but they are expensive (but the Firestone SZ50s are made on the same line from what i hear and use the same technology and are cheaper than the PPs- not sure how much they cost)<p>: i don't know how much i will get out of the PPs (i also have a set of aardvarks for the track)...i have about 5000-5500 on them and they still look pretty new...i would get them again in a hearbeat for one simple reason- RAIN<p>: Bruce<br>: 98 M roadster<br>: (tire saga <a href="http://www2.txcyber.com/~gobuffs/MyM/problems.html">here</a>, read #2)<p></i>

Tino
12-29-1998, 06:24 AM
I think they are much more sticky than the MXX3's.

Bruce
12-29-1998, 08:14 PM
<i>: I think they are much more sticky than the MXX3's.</i><p>they are great tires in the wet or dry, but in high speed manuevers their response is a bit lacking, that's all...i prefer them because they are such a great tire in the wet<p>Bruce

Chris
12-30-1998, 09:06 PM
The best tires for the money or better yet at any price are Sumitomo HTZ R2 they are under $150 each at the Tire Rack, I have two sets 1 is my street tire in 225/40 ZR18 and the other I use as a rain tire on the track at Driver School and other events....They are awesome and you can spend the money you save someshere else.<br>

Harry
12-31-1998, 03:41 AM
My Mxx3s just expired and I went with the Dunlop 9000s. For what its worth, it is also considered a "max" performance tire, but it's treadwear rating was double of the MXX3s. (280 opposed to 140). They've only been on for a week so I don't know how big a blow I've taken performance-wise. I don't believe I'll exceed the limits of the 9000s, but only time will tell. They seem to be a very decent tire (suprisingly quiet & smooth). I'm not sure yet if they look really cool or really strange. The "aqua-look" tread pattern does look a bit awkward and not as aggressive as the MXX3s. <p>The tires cost me about $200 less then the Michelins, but proved difficult to acquire. No problems with the rears (Tire rack - $450 shipped), but finding the 225/45s took a lot of time to track down (each tire came from two different retailers $169 and $185). <p>Make sure you don't spend too much time considering your tire choice...with these M cars you'll need new tires again before you know it!<p>Harry<br>97 M3/4

Bobby
01-11-1999, 09:39 AM
<i>: but it's treadwear rating was double of the MXX3s. (280 opposed to 140). <br></i><p>You can't compare the wear ratings from one mfr. to another. It's an independent test each mfr does on their own and not really standardized.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index