Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

lemon
12-29-1998, 10:02 AM
Not to offend anybody on this board but do you think "older" model will drop in price with an introduction of a newer body style //M3 in late 1999 - early 2000?? I truly hope so because my lease is to end sometimes around that time (I cuurently have a 1997 318is) and I'd love to get my hands on a clean used //M3(if I could afford it). I talked to a dealer I've got my car from but they don't seem to be able to give a straight answer on this matter. I know some of you have owned not one or two of these beast over past couple of years so if someone could share some info re: personal experience with this car I would really appreciate it. "Money factor" is very important so if you have no problems giving out "numbers" that would be a tremendous help as well.<p>Thanx again!

Preston
12-29-1998, 10:16 AM
<br>it is probably going to depend heavily on what the new M3 is. If it is a significantly different and more expensive than the current model it will have less of an effect on the current model. If they are closer together it will have more of an effect. Either way it is going to hurt the value of the current M3's somewhat. <p>Depreciation on M3's has always been excellent and thus I don't think you'll see any amazing deals especially if the new M3 is 10-15k more than the current one. They will almost be completely different cars at that point and have little effect on resale value.<p>As for hard numbers, you can probably look at what 95/96's are going for now and that should give you a ballpark of where things are going to be in 3 years.<p>Regards,<br>Preston<br>98 M3/4<p>

DCC
12-29-1998, 01:24 PM
The new (E46) M3s are not due out till fall 2000 as a 2001 model year car.<br>The current M3 production will end in 4/99<br>So do yu think the cars will depreciate or sell for a discount?<br>probably when the new one is introduced...but not before then. There will be a period of 18months of no M3 production.<br>I bought a 95 M3 when they first came out in 5/94 and paid sticker ($38K) for it.<br>I sold it earlier this year in 5/98 for $32K, it was in perfect condition with 20000miles on it.<br>I just bought a 99 M3 this past Thanksgiving for $41500<p>Hope this helps<p>dan<p><p><br><i>: Not to offend anybody on this board but do you think "older" model will drop in price with an introduction of a newer body style //M3 in late 1999 - early 2000?? I truly hope so because my lease is to end sometimes around that time (I cuurently have a 1997 318is) and I'd love to get my hands on a clean used //M3(if I could afford it). I talked to a dealer I've got my car from but they don't seem to be able to give a straight answer on this matter. I know some of you have owned not one or two of these beast over past couple of years so if someone could share some info re: personal experience with this car I would really appreciate it. "Money factor" is very important so if you have no problems giving out "numbers" that would be a tremendous help as well.<p>: Thanx again!<p></i>

Bruce
12-29-1998, 07:31 PM
i agree with DCC...there will be a time when no E36 M3 will be available (not counting the cabrio)<p>look at the prices on the 95 M3s...you still see ads asking and most liekly getting around 80% of the MSRP of the car<p>look for 98 or 99 M3s going for low to mid 30s when you lease is up (you can also look for 95-97 ones too)<p>Bruce<p>

Preston
12-29-1998, 09:41 PM
<br>resale value in 2001 when then new M3 comes out?

Bruce
12-29-1998, 11:25 PM
<i><br>: resale value in 2001 when then new M3 comes out? </i><p>M cars hold their value very well...the fact that the new M3 will be significantly different may actually help resale values (IMO)- the number of people able to afford the new M3 will drop significantly and those who really want an M3 will have to go to the E36 to get an M<p>i predict that the 330Ci and 330i will be similar to the 95 M3 (same basic engine), but will still be too soft like all the E46s are<p>Bruce<br>01 E46 M3 waiter (E39 M5 killer)

andy r.
12-30-1998, 01:39 AM
Where I live (Silicon Valley) there are zillions of M3s driven by nouveou-riche techie early adopter males, who have to have the latest fast thing (that can still hold a mountain bike or two - no 911s). When they all get traded in on E46 M3s, prices will drop for sure. It's not the same as looking at current 95 M3 prices. I'm planning for $32k on a low miles 97-98 to replace my G20.<p>andy r.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index