Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Herc
01-01-1999, 08:11 PM
open question: After swapping the chip to negate the effects of the governor. what is the new estimated top speed.<p>not looking for forced induction<p>herc <br>98 M3/2

Chris Falletta
01-01-1999, 10:19 PM
Even with a Chip the top speed is only a little higher than w/o it. The top speed is really determined by the gears in the rear, and w/o changing them say for racing you can never really see the top of your ///M3. Besides trying to see the top on public roads is not a cool thing to do with all the idiots out there to get in your way, join the BMW CCA or go to a local track and pay for some lapping sessions and really fly like I do at Sebring, Moroso and Homestead. Goodluck..Chris

MTECH3
01-01-1999, 11:57 PM
<i>: Even with a Chip the top speed is only a little higher than w/o it. The top speed is really determined by the gears in the rear, and w/o changing them say for racing you can never really see the top of your ///M3. Besides trying to see the top on public roads is not a cool thing to do with all the idiots out there to get in your way, join the BMW CCA or go to a local track and pay for some lapping sessions and really fly like I do at Sebring, Moroso and Homestead. Goodluck..Chris<p></i>I once did around 155mph with just the JC chip. Don't ask me where I did that...<br>

Herc
01-02-1999, 12:20 AM
thanx for your reply. but i live in germany. not to be rude but as i was coming to work on the AUTOBAHN i was blown by several cars including new benz e-class, some mature individual in a audi a-6. i didn't like that too much. 140mph/220kph just ain't getting it. euro M3's are nice. as far as raicing the tracks in germany, WARNING: insurance will NOT cover it. haven't gotten around to joining a CCA, there's a little M3 following here all of 2 of us. does the CCA do anything for us americans living overseas ?? my friend took his black M3 to Hockenhiem track and dusted a few porsches in the corners. myself i've been to Nurinburgring track just to watch . pretty neat thing to see.<p>i plan on next spring to enroll in the driving BMW offers hopefully late spring ;)<p>herc <br>98 M3/2<p>

Herc
01-02-1999, 12:22 AM
oops meant to say driving school that BMW offers

Herc
01-02-1999, 12:25 AM
<i>for MTECH3:<p>have you done any other mods besides the chip ???<p><br></i>

Ben
01-02-1999, 10:47 AM
According to Turner Motorsport who sells the JC Chip, the '95 M3 with the chip will do 161 MPH!<p><br><i>: open question: After swapping the chip to negate the effects of the governor. what is the new estimated top speed.<p>: not looking for forced induction<p>: herc <br>: 98 M3/2<p></i>

Steve S.
01-02-1999, 01:02 PM
An Audi A6 passed you on the Autobahn? at over 140 mph? That probably was no stock A6. You sure it wasn't an S6? with a 2.7L bi-turbo or the 4.2 V8?<p>Steve S.

Herc
01-02-1999, 01:17 PM
YUP !<br>A-6.... i know the body style.. Germans are known for taking all markings/emblems off a car. so don't know exactly what was under the hood.<p></i>

andy r.
01-02-1999, 01:25 PM
<i>: ...i live in germany. haven't gotten around to joining a CCA, there's a little M3 following here all of 2 of us. does the CCA do anything for us americans living overseas ?? <br></i><p>Let me get this straight...you live in Germany, yet you want to join the BMW Car Club of America? Don't you think there's thirty or forty BMW Auto Klubs Deutschlands?<p>andy r.

Herc
01-02-1999, 02:35 PM
Well.... i can blame myself for that. I can understand the local dialect in the Rhineland Pfalz area. Understanding hi/proper german is my weak area. I've been to websites both german and american. Deutsche sites can be a bit confusing at times. i'm sure that the clubs members themselves speak english. i haven't joined anything just yet. still looking.

PM3
01-04-1999, 03:14 AM
For US version, '95 M3s with 3.15 diff(stock) top speed raised to about 160-161 mph.<br>For the 96 on (3.23), top speed 157-158mph. But if you're in Germany, assuming you have the 6th gear and 321 + chip Horsepower, you should be into the 170's with that kind of power, easy...<p><i>: open question: After swapping the chip to negate the effects of the governor. what is the new estimated top speed.<p>: not looking for forced induction<p>: herc <br>: 98 M3/2<p></i>

B. Taff
01-06-1999, 08:25 AM
I own a 98 M3 with a JC chip. I've seen 160mph on my speedo but 500 rpms into the redline! I'm in the USAF stationed in Germany and get to enjoy my M3 to it's fullest limits on the Nurburgring and 4 lane autobahns. I have 10400 miles on it and am as happy now as ever with it. Definite beleiver in the JC chip!!<p>Best Regards

Herc
01-06-1999, 11:57 PM
Hey B. T. I'm living right outside Ramstein. Got out the army. Now just a civilian contractor. How long did it take you to order your chip. did you do any other modifications??

Herc
01-07-1999, 12:00 AM
Euro version of M3 is a little bit pricey....somethin to the tune of 100,000 DM.<p>just the other day found out the M5 is priced at 156,000 DM the got one in the showroom at the local dealer in my town Kaiserslaughten

B.Taff
01-07-1999, 10:09 AM
<i><br>I'm stationed at Ramstein. I sent my ECU to JC during a vacation in Calif. I simply removed the ECU and shipped it to him from Calif. I would imagine that from Germany it would take 2 1/2 weeks to have it completed and mailed back to you. It is definetly worth the $400 investment. <p>Best Regards,<p>BT <br></i>

john
01-08-1999, 11:23 AM
this message is for "mtech3" if this is your license plate as well, i think i may have seen you on the streets of the dc area - red m3.<p>john<br>cosmos m3

Peter C.
01-10-1999, 11:28 AM
140 mph is nothing spectacular in Germany. Most 5 and 6-cylinder cars (like the A6 2.8) go close to 150 mph. My brother has a Volvo V70 TDI (Turbo diesel ) with a chip there, and he 'cruises' at 140 on the autobahn. I can understand Herc who lives in Germany but drives a U.S. spec M3...If I had mine in Europe I would change the gear ratio.<br>BR<br>Peter C.<br>'95 Avus Blue ///M3 w/ JC chip<p>p.s. Drove an '91 Alpina B10 Bi-turbo at the Alpina factory in 1991. Was told by the export manager to try its top speed at 185 mph, but chickened out at 165 when trees were just flashing in the corner of my eyes. He was disappointed...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index