Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

KennyB
01-04-1999, 10:40 PM
I have a '97 M# and recently installed a K&N cone filter. From reading some of the posts, I'll be getting poorer performance with out one. I really like Milo's, but I thought that i could design and build my own....and save a few bucks :-)! What I have so far is a fabricated aluminum shield that fully covers the filter and uses the existing air duct (a.k.a. home made airbox). What I wanted to do next, was to cover it with the same insulation that is on the hood. I have called several parts/speed shops, but all they have is the aluminum faced insulation. I can order the entire hood insulation from BMW for about $62, but I really only need about a sq. yd. of the stuff. Does anyone know where I could get a smaller quantity or any cheaper than BMW? Thanks in advance and if I ever get it finished I'll post a pic.

Mike H.
01-11-1999, 10:00 PM
<i>:I made a shield out of aluminum extended it to withing a quarter inch of frame,charcoal canister at the rear and wrapped it around the radiator to collect air from the front where the old stock flex pipe went. No need to insulate, the reflective metal does a fine job, even here in Arizona. I got noticeable results in upper mid range3-4K rpm. I have a '97 M# and recently installed a K&N cone filter. From reading some of the posts, I'll be getting poorer performance with out one. I really like Milo's, but I thought that i could design and build my own....and save a few bucks :-)! What I have so far is a fabricated aluminum shield that fully covers the filter and uses the existing air duct (a.k.a. home made airbox). What I wanted to do next, was to cover it with the same insulation that is on the hood. I have called several parts/speed shops, but all they have is the aluminum faced insulation. I can order the entire hood insulation from BMW for about $62, but I really only need about a sq. yd. of the stuff. Does anyone know where I could get a smaller quantity or any cheaper than BMW? Thanks in advance and if I ever get it finished I'll post a pic.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index