Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris
01-05-1999, 09:43 PM
Can anybody give me their experience breaking in new track tires, namely the Yoko's. I will attend Winterfest 99 at Sebring next week and I understand thant the Yoko's are very different than the old BFG R1's I ran last. Some people just say mount them and go while some others feel they need to be heat treated in, what the real story?

Steve
01-06-1999, 08:55 AM
'Seasoning them' by doing some hot-laps, then letting them cool by doing some cool-down laps before stopping (from the hot-laps) puts the rubber through a final curing cycle. If this is done with care, the tires will last a little longer and have better grip. It's almost like breaking them in. If you bought them from the Tire Rack, this is one of their purchase services. They have a machine that temperature cycles the tires. The important part is NOT letting them stand-still while they are cooling (flat-spots etc).<p>Steve<p><i>: Can anybody give me their experience breaking in new track tires, namely the Yoko's. I will attend Winterfest 99 at Sebring next week and I understand thant the Yoko's are very different than the old BFG R1's I ran last. Some people just say mount them and go while some others feel they need to be heat treated in, what the real story? <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index