Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

kerofaye
01-06-1999, 11:36 AM
Hi fellow M3ers,<br> <br>Would anyone mind to give me some opinion on trick to<br>downshift the M3 and start from the dead stop ?<br> <br>Normally, when I get off the exit, I slow down with the<br>brake 'til 30-40mph then step on the clutch for a couple of <br>seconds and put in a little gas to make the rpm to 2000 <br>then release the clutch. Is it the right way to downshift<br>off a highway ? <br> <br>When I start from a dead stop, I always feel like I am starting a little bit slower than the car next to me.<br>Is it because I am holding the clutch too long ?<br>Should I start from 2nd gear instead ?<p>Thanks,<p>Kerofaye<br> <br>

M3 man
01-06-1999, 08:33 PM
<i>: Hi fellow M3ers,<br>: <br>: Would anyone mind to give me some opinion on trick to<br>: downshift the M3 and start from the dead stop ?<br>: <br>: Normally, when I get off the exit, I slow down with the<br>: brake 'til 30-40mph then step on the clutch for a couple of <br>: seconds and put in a little gas to make the rpm to 2000 <br>: then release the clutch. Is it the right way to downshift<br>: off a highway ? <br>: <br>: When I start from a dead stop, I always feel like I am starting a little bit slower than the car next to me.<br>: Is it because I am holding the clutch too long ?<br>: Should I start from 2nd gear instead ?<p>: Thanks,<p>: Kerofaye<br>: <p></i>

sumyoungguy
01-06-1999, 10:24 PM
<i>: Hi fellow M3ers,<br>: <br>: Would anyone mind to give me some opinion on trick to<br>: downshift the M3 and start from the dead stop ?<br>: <br>: Normally, when I get off the exit, I slow down with the<br>: brake 'til 30-40mph then step on the clutch for a couple of <br>: seconds and put in a little gas to make the rpm to 2000 <br>: then release the clutch. Is it the right way to downshift<br>: off a highway ? <br>: <br>: When I start from a dead stop, I always feel like I am starting a little bit slower than the car next to me.<br>: Is it because I am holding the clutch too long ?<br>: Should I start from 2nd gear instead ?<p>: Thanks,<p>: Kerofaye<br>: <p></i>

kerofaye
01-07-1999, 08:32 AM
I am for real. I am not that good in driving<br>stick shift, that's all.

Preston
01-07-1999, 09:12 AM
Press ASC button in front of stick shift then:<p>1) Left foot depress left pedal to floor.<br>2) Right foot depress right pedal until right gauge reads about 4.<br>3) Rotate left foot laterally to the right.<br>4) Listen for sound of expensive rubber being wasted.<p>Repeat 10 times and buy new clutch and tires.<p>

Steve
01-07-1999, 10:40 AM
<i>: Press ASC button in front of stick shift then:<p>: 1) Left foot depress left pedal to floor.<br>: 2) Right foot depress right pedal until right gauge reads about 4.<br>: 3) Rotate left foot laterally to the right.<br>: 4) Listen for sound of expensive rubber being wasted.<p>: Repeat 10 times and buy new clutch and tires.<p></i>

Mark
01-07-1999, 01:25 PM
Double Clutching is a technique that puts less wear on you transmission syncros and clutch system.<p>Example: From 3rd ->2nd<br>1)Let off gas in 3rd<br>2)clutch to the floor<br>3)place tranny in neutrel<br>4)clutch out<br>5)blip throttle to match rpm to 2nd gear at the speed<br>6)clutch in<br>7)shift to 2nd<br>8)clutch out<p>This is the BEST way to down shift, it also works equally well for an upshift. It is smooth and is a racing technique (smoothness is key to racing). It takes practice, but is what you should do to save wear on your tranny and clutch, not to mention the drivetrain components. With time you could be able to do this without even letting your foot off the brake by rolling the side of your foot over to the gas or using the heel of your foot.<p><br>-Mark<br>'69 2002 w/ Mpower<p><p><p><i>: Hi fellow M3ers,<br>: <br>: Would anyone mind to give me some opinion on trick to<br>: downshift the M3 and start from the dead stop ?<br>: <br>: Normally, when I get off the exit, I slow down with the<br>: brake 'til 30-40mph then step on the clutch for a couple of <br>: seconds and put in a little gas to make the rpm to 2000 <br>: then release the clutch. Is it the right way to downshift<br>: off a highway ? <br>: <br>: When I start from a dead stop, I always feel like I am starting a little bit slower than the car next to me.<br>: Is it because I am holding the clutch too long ?<br>: Should I start from 2nd gear instead ?<p>: Thanks,<p>: Kerofaye<br>: <p></i>

FC
01-07-1999, 02:01 PM
Hi kerofaye,<p>Starting slower than the cars beside seems pretty common to people who are learning to drive standard. I had that weird feelings in the past. Most of my friends had that before.<p>It might be:<br>1. You are not used to the manual gear ratio, which is higher than the auto ratio; therefore, the same RPM you get in an auto car will move you slower in a manual car (if the gas is depressed at a constant rate).<p>2. The engine noise. you might notice the engine sound is louder than the auto one because you are more likely to rev the engine closer to the rpm (many reasons: gear ratio, sensitivety os the padel, etc.). Once you feel the unfamiliar noise, you would probably decrease the presure of the gas to the RPM you are used to...and there goes the speed (point 1)<p>3. Shift time. the computer controlled auto box can shift faster than most manual drivers. Moreover, your car will accelerate slower if you took a long time for each shift.<p>Conclusion: you are probably not used to your a month old '99 M3. Just spend more time in the car and find the POINT where the engagement of gears occurs. You will feel more comfortable once you feel the flow and your shift and clutch/gas time will be more presise and faster. IF that's not the case, a DRIVER SCHOOL would help you.<p>hope this help<p>FC<br>'98 M roadster

kerofaye
01-08-1999, 08:27 AM
Thanks Mark, I have some questions for Double Clutch. Hope you can give me some hint...<p><i>: Double Clutching is a technique that puts less wear on you transmission syncros and clutch system.<p>: Example: From 3rd ->2nd<br>: 1)Let off gas in 3rd<br>: 2)clutch to the floor<br>: 3)place tranny in neutrel<br>: 4)clutch out<br>: 5)blip throttle to match rpm to 2nd gear at the speed<p>After the throttle match the rpm to 2nd gear should I let go of the right foot before step 6) <br>clutch in ? Or should I keep the right foot on<br>the gas pedal to keep the rpm constant ?<p>: 6)clutch in<p>I assume right foot off the gas ?<br>I read some book about driving stick but<br>they seldom mention what to do with the<br>gas.<br>: 7)shift to 2nd<br>: 8)clutch out<p>Right foot start to put on the gas pedal? If it<br>is off the gas on step 6 ?<p>: This is the BEST way to down shift, it also works equally well for an upshift. It is smooth and is a racing technique (smoothness is key to racing). It takes practice, but is what you should do to save wear on your tranny and clutch, not to mention the drivetrain components. With time you could be able to do this without even letting your foot off the brake by rolling the side of your foot over to the gas or using the heel of your foot.<p>Thanks,<br>Kerofaye<p><br>: <br>: -Mark<br>: '69 2002 w/ Mpower<p><p>: : Hi fellow M3ers,<br>: : <br>: : Would anyone mind to give me some opinion on trick to<br>: : downshift the M3 and start from the dead stop ?<br>: : <br>: : Normally, when I get off the exit, I slow down with the<br>: : brake 'til 30-40mph then step on the clutch for a couple of <br>: : seconds and put in a little gas to make the rpm to 2000 <br>: : then release the clutch. Is it the right way to downshift<br>: : off a highway ? <br>: : <br>: : When I start from a dead stop, I always feel like I am starting a little bit slower than the car next to me.<br>: : Is it because I am holding the clutch too long ?<br>: : Should I start from 2nd gear instead ?<p>: : Thanks,<p>: : Kerofaye<br>: : <p></i>

kerofaye
01-08-1999, 11:35 AM
<i>: Hi kerofaye,<p>: Starting slower than the cars beside seems pretty common to people who are learning to drive standard. I had that weird feelings in the past. Most of my friends had that before.<p>Thanks for the understanding. I always think that<br>stick shift M3 should be starting quite fast from<br>stop. However, even the trucks next to me start<br>off faster than I am.<p>: It might be:<br>: 1. You are not used to the manual gear ratio, which is higher than the auto ratio; therefore, the same RPM you get in an auto car will move you slower in a manual car (if the gas is depressed at a constant rate).<p>Someone told me that my left foot is off the clutch a bit slow and that cause the slow start.<br> <p>: 2. The engine noise. you might notice the engine sound is louder than the auto one because you are more likely to rev the engine closer to the rpm (many reasons: gear ratio, sensitivety os the padel, etc.). Once you feel the unfamiliar noise, you would probably decrease the presure of the gas to the RPM you are used to...and there goes the speed (point 1)<p>It did happen to me. I catch myself sometimes having the right foot ease off a gas a bit while I am releasing the clutch. (I try to treat the<br>car too gently)<p><br>: 3. Shift time. the computer controlled auto box can shift faster than most manual drivers. Moreover, your car will accelerate slower if you took a long time for each shift.<p>It happened to me. However, it is improving. Once<br>in a while it will still take me a bit longer<br>more than the experienced stick shift drivers.<p>: Conclusion: you are probably not used to your a month old '99 M3. Just spend more time in the car and find the POINT where the engagement of gears occurs. You will feel more comfortable once you feel the flow and your shift and clutch/gas time will be more presise and faster. IF that's not the case, a DRIVER SCHOOL would help you.<p>Once in a while when everything go smoothly. It feels really precise and slick.<p>: hope this help<p>Thanks.<p>: FC<br>: '98 M roadster<p><br></i>

Mark
01-08-1999, 02:05 PM
<i>: Thanks Mark, I have some questions for Double Clutch. Hope you can give me some hint...<p>: : Double Clutching is a technique that puts less wear on you transmission syncros and clutch system.<p>: : Example: From 3rd ->2nd<br>: : 1)Let off gas in 3rd<br>: : 2)clutch to the floor<br>: : 3)place tranny in neutrel<br>: : 4)clutch out<br>: : 5)blip throttle to match rpm to 2nd gear at the speed<p>: After the throttle match the rpm to 2nd gear should I let go of the right foot before step 6)<p>Yes, it should be sufficient just to tap the trottle. Just blip/tap the trottle. You really don't even need to rev the engine pass the rpm to match the gear, slightly below is ok and probably better.<br> <br>: clutch in ? Or should I keep the right foot on<br>: the gas pedal to keep the rpm constant ?<p>No, just tap the trotlle<p>: : 6)clutch in<p>: I assume right foot off the gas ?<p>Right foot off the gas, you may want to continue using the gas after you release the cluch in step 8, so cover so cover the gas. If not, cover the brake or begin braking whenever you like.<p>: I read some book about driving stick but<br>: they seldom mention what to do with the<br>: gas. (wow the gas, it makes a large difference with the car, u know u can steer with the gas to some degree ;) that's another story tho, go to a CCA safety school.<br>: : 7)shift to 2nd<br>: : 8)clutch out<p>: Right foot start to put on the gas pedal? If it<br>: is off the gas on step 6 ?<p>If you wish to acceleration or hold a steady speed, you may get on the throttle after you release the clutch in step 8.<p>: : This is the BEST way to down shift, it also works equally well for an upshift. It is smooth and is a racing technique (smoothness is key to racing). It takes practice, but is what you should do to save wear on your tranny and clutch, not to mention the drivetrain components. With time you could be able to do this without even letting your foot off the brake by rolling the side of your foot over to the gas or using the heel of your foot.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Kerofaye<p>: <br>: : <br>: : -Mark<br>: : '69 2002 w/ Mpower<p><br>: : : Hi fellow M3ers,<br>: : : <br>: : : Would anyone mind to give me some opinion on trick to<br>: : : downshift the M3 and start from the dead stop ?<br>: : : <br>: : : Normally, when I get off the exit, I slow down with the<br>: : : brake 'til 30-40mph then step on the clutch for a couple of <br>: : : seconds and put in a little gas to make the rpm to 2000 <br>: : : then release the clutch. Is it the right way to downshift<br>: : : off a highway ? <br>: : : <br>: : : When I start from a dead stop, I always feel like I am starting a little bit slower than the car next to me.<br>: : : Is it because I am holding the clutch too long ?<br>: : : Should I start from 2nd gear instead ?<p>Do not start from 2nd unless you are rolling. Starting from a dead stop, this can put strain on your drivetrain. It was actually mentioned in my '83 BMW 320is manual. It can be bad to "lug" an engine. Lugging occurs when you have your car in to high of a gear, ie 5th gear at 20mph.<p>Lastly, it is important to understand where and how far your clutch releases. The best way to learn this is to have the car stopped in say a parking lot and without using any gas, slowly let off the clutch until you feel the clutch grab, and release it sufficiently slow to move the car up to the idle rpm without using the gas. Practice this a few times and understand where exactly the clutch release and how fast you may be able to do it at low speeds.<br>Once understanding this you may be able to simultaneoulsy let off the cluch and begin throttle application in a manner that you hold idle right thru acceleration until you are the off clutch and accelerate through first. This will allow you to move off the line just like an automatic in first. If you want more accelertion off the line, simply pretend to move the idle up to say 2500 rpm and hold the rpm there and release the cluch. You will ride the clutch longer at this rpm(inturn u most move it slower thru the release area) and cause more wear on your clucth system.<p>: : : Thanks,<p>: : : Kerofaye<br>: : : <p></i>

Eric Nguyen
01-08-1999, 08:41 PM
I noticed that when I'm in stop and go traffic, my clutch seems to release differently. Usually it releases after about 1-1.5 inches of movement; however, after stop and go traffic, it releases immediately as I release the clutch. Is there something wrong with my clutch??

KevinG
01-09-1999, 03:46 AM
<br>: I noticed that when I'm in stop and go traffic, my clutch seems to release differently. Usually it releases after about 1-1.5 inches of movement; however, after stop and go traffic, it releases immediately as I release the clutch. Is there something wrong with my clutch??<p>Its funny that you mentioned that, because my 95 M3 does the samething. It started at 14k miles, I now have 35k miles, it seemed to become less frequent after changing my tranny fluid to mobil 1 ATF, but it occasionally still happens.My clutch grabs just fine, I dont abuse or race my car either. My machainic seems to think that it has something to do with the release bearing not working correctly. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.<p>

sumyoungguy
01-10-1999, 12:31 AM
<i thought you were that guy that would<br>post stupid stuff like just got my new m3 today<br>and the transmission is making grinding noises<br>do you think that its cause i race the engine to<br>10,000 rpm and dump the clutch <p>sorry

Warren Peace
01-11-1999, 01:37 AM
How old are you? Is this your first car?? Who bought it for you???

Luke
01-11-1999, 12:45 PM
<i>: How old are you? Is this your first car?? Who bought it for you???<p></i> Nice guy! I should have followed everyone else's example and just ignored you. But what the hell: You are the classic example of the stereotype of BMW owners that led the the joke about the difference between a cactus and a BMW. With a cactus, the pricks are on the outside!

Bobby
01-11-1999, 01:18 PM
<i>:You are the classic example of the stereotype of BMW owners that led the the joke about the difference between a cactus and a BMW. With a cactus, the pricks are on the outside!<p></i><p>I thought that was about Porsches :-)

Eric Nguyen
01-11-1999, 04:25 PM
I read a service bulletin that some M3's have clutch release bearings with a plastic sleeve. These sleeves should NOT be greased according to the bulletin, if they do get grease on them, dirt and contaminents could build up and cause adverse effects. I wonder the the problem we're experiencing is related to this??

KevinG
01-12-1999, 12:46 AM
<br>: I read a service bulletin that some M3's have clutch release bearings with a plastic sleeve. These sleeves should NOT be greased according to the bulletin, if they do get grease on them, dirt and contaminents could build up and cause adverse effects. I wonder the the problem we're experiencing is related to this??<p>Where would the grease come from?

Hate DORKS
01-12-1999, 02:16 AM
Holy cow man! You picked on as a kid or what, Warren Peace of sh..!

kerofaye
01-12-1999, 08:22 AM
Thanks Mark.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index