Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dimitri
01-06-1999, 05:02 PM
Just wondering -- is there anyone who's driving an //M3 all year around -- especially in the winter. I live in a Northern Massachussetts and we get hell lot of snow here once in a while, so my question is: is it possible to drive thru the winter with an //M3 or I'll have to buy a winter-beater? I know that traction control helps and winter tires give you a decent grip but does it really give you an oportunity to drive this little beast thru the snow WORRY FREE? <br>Thank you.

jb
01-06-1999, 05:12 PM
Have a '98 M3 & purchased additional used '98 BMW factory double spokes used for ~$800 and Pirelli winter 210's ($600). I figure this second set of wheels could also eventually be used to mount track tires, if desired. The Pirelli's are great, both dry & in snow/ice. Don't notice an appreciable difference from the stock Pilot's in 95% of daily dry street driving.<p>Living in the midwest, we are currently making it thru 'El Blizzardo Diablo '. Absolutely no problems at all in the snow / ice, & the traction control light even seldom comes on. We received 15" snow + ice; just a little bit of plowing makes it sufficient to get out; contrary to what you'd think, the front end doesn't seem to funnel/plow the snow into the lower grille. The vast majority just rubs against the lower "parking guard" barrier beneath the front lip; even no scratches so far, and either way this'd be easily replacable.<p>In short, I'm very impressed with the winter traction, using the wife's front-wheel drive + traction control car for comparison, and I wouldn't let it hold you back from a purchase<br>

Mark Reitman
01-07-1999, 09:33 AM
I have a 90 M3 with Pirelli P210 snow tires on factory steel wheels.I live in Wisconsin and currently the car is being used in northern Wisconsin (Snow&Ice country). The car performs flawlessly in both snow and ice. Never been stuck!<br>If you treat the gas pedal with respect and don't<br>go gonzo, the E30 M3 is a fabulous winter car. I never had a need to buy a beater.<p>Mark Reitman

FranK S
01-07-1999, 10:00 AM
OK, one more data point. My 98 M3 performs fine in the snow with 17" Pirelli 210 snow tires. It also rides reasonably well in the dry, unlike those blizzaks I had on my old 325i that felt like I was driving on marshmellows. The only hassle is the constant salt, and dirt that gets on the car, as well as propensity for chips and the like. If you can deal with that, the M3 is an excellent winter daily driver, and cheers me up whenever it greets me in the parking lot after a long winter workday.

MTECH3
01-07-1999, 01:10 PM
<i>: Just wondering -- is there anyone who's driving an //M3 all year around -- especially in the winter. I live in a Northern Massachussetts and we get hell lot of snow here once in a while, so my question is: is it possible to drive thru the winter with an //M3 or I'll have to buy a winter-beater? I know that traction control helps and winter tires give you a decent grip but does it really give you an oportunity to drive this little beast thru the snow WORRY FREE? <br>: Thank you.<p></i>I have a '95 M3 with Bridgestone WT-05s on factory rims...I live in the MidWest and I've been impressed with these tires, even with this week's 15" snow dump.<p>I have more confidence in this setup than with some front-wheel drive car...<p>As long as one exercises caution with the throttle, the M3 handles just fine in the snow with the proper "shoes."

Bob Edwards
01-08-1999, 04:26 PM
Just got the first opportunity today to drive my '97 M3/4 in the snow and freezing rain. I have Pirelli 210/ice tires on 16" wheels, and had no problems whatever. I had forgotten what a good time a rear-wheel drive car with good snowtires could provide. It's great to be able to steer even when sliding! Of course, you do risk your baby to the salt, sand, and other cars, but the M3 is my daily driver, and no place to store a beater.<p>Don't even think of trying it with the Michelin Pilots, though -- might as well have skis.<p>Bob

Tad Laird
01-08-1999, 10:11 PM
I don't drive my E30 M3 in the snow/ice because the sand and salt have such an effect on my paint. I have a 325iX P210's which makes the Ultimate Winter Driving Machine. The iX is Alpine white and doesn't show the effects as much as my Diamond Black.<p>Tad

kerofaye
01-12-1999, 08:20 AM
I drove with the Pilot to work today in the<br>snow in Mass. It hasn't slide once, BUT I kept<br>it to 2nd and 3rd gear all the way and didn't<br>go faster than 35mph.<br> <br>Hope I can get the snow tires soon !<p>Kerofaye

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index