Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

J. Stewart
01-07-1999, 05:27 AM
Hi -- I recently purchased a '99 M3 fully loaded, including the HK "Premium" system. <p>First, I really enjoy driving it thus far... I am surprised more people don't choose this car! The M cars are truely automotive excellence.<p>I am also a music and sound enthusiast, and am somewhat disappointed with the overall sound in the car. Granted, it is better than most stock systems, but I am seeking a higher sound stage and more "oomph" in the lower range.<p>My question is this: How much of a pain in the *** would it be to modify the stereo setup without destroying the integrity of the car? I hate the rear-mounted changer, since I like to change CDs quite frequently.. I have an Alpine 3-disk in Dash changer that is sitting around, but it is green and would look quite ugly in the cluster. It looks SO cool when it is illuminated..even if it is orangeish.. :)<p>I have been looking to find CD players that have the matching ilumination -- Blaupunkt makes one that could be acceptable.. Also, what kind of changer (OEM) are they using?? Can it be controlled by something else? Any ideas about remounting it inside the main compartment?<p>Any other technical specs would be appreciated, since my dealer was unable to satisfy my specific questions.. of course, they are not car audio experts, but since everything else went smooth, I thought I would pry!<p>Well, I figured if anyone has made modifications to their M3 stereo, I would find he or she here..<p>So if any one can help or shed some light on this it'd be great, because many of these car audio shops are like, "yeah, we can do this, this, and this..." but sound shady and probably want to charge me an arm and a leg for some b.s.... you get the picture...<p>Thanks!<p>--J. Stewart<br>

Roy
01-07-1999, 01:50 PM
<i>: Hi -- I recently purchased a '99 M3 fully loaded, including the HK "Premium" system. <p>: First, I really enjoy driving it thus far... I am surprised more people don't choose this car! The M cars are truely automotive excellence.<p>: I am also a music and sound enthusiast, and am somewhat disappointed with the overall sound in the car. Granted, it is better than most stock systems, but I am seeking a higher sound stage and more "oomph" in the lower range.<p>: My question is this: How much of a pain in the *** would it be to modify the stereo setup without destroying the integrity of the car? I hate the rear-mounted changer, since I like to change CDs quite frequently.. I have an Alpine 3-disk in Dash changer that is sitting around, but it is green and would look quite ugly in the cluster. It looks SO cool when it is illuminated..even if it is orangeish.. :)<p>: I have been looking to find CD players that have the matching ilumination -- Blaupunkt makes one that could be acceptable.. Also, what kind of changer (OEM) are they using?? Can it be controlled by something else? Any ideas about remounting it inside the main compartment?<p>: Any other technical specs would be appreciated, since my dealer was unable to satisfy my specific questions.. of course, they are not car audio experts, but since everything else went smooth, I thought I would pry!<p>: Well, I figured if anyone has made modifications to their M3 stereo, I would find he or she here..<p>: So if any one can help or shed some light on this it'd be great, because many of these car audio shops are like, "yeah, we can do this, this, and this..." but sound shady and probably want to charge me an arm and a leg for some b.s.... you get the picture...<p>: Thanks!<p>: --J. Stewart<p></i I would suggest you consider an Eclipse head (with CD in the unit) as a direct replacement for your HK unit. It's illumination is white, so it looks OK. In addition, for better over-all sound quality and punch you'll need a better multi-channel power Amp (Rockford-Fosgate makes among the best), replacement speakers such as MB Quart or Rockford-Fosgate (both make speakers that simply replace your existing ones where they are... you can't tell there was a change visually, but quite a difference audible). Lastly you'll need a sub-woofer or two (again Rockford-Fosgate makes among the best here). Instalation is pretty straight forward and shouldn't impact your car intrigity. To get an appreciable and high quality difference from your existing system you'll probably have to spend about $2000 (including installation), but you can go a lot higher if you really go crazy. I've made this switch in my M3 and its sounds great! Good Luck.

Preston
01-07-1999, 02:00 PM
<br>Spkrs:<p>F: 5.25" kicks, 4" and tweet in door<br>R: 6x9<p>Amp: 8 Channel active crossover for each channel, amp in trunk on left side.<p>Changer and head unit made by alpine for BMW. Changer cannot be controlled by standard Alpine units.<p>I can't figure out a useful place to put the changer in the cabin. Maybe the glove compartment but this would involve cutting which I wasn't interested in.<p>Check out the ADS web site for ideas www.adst.com on E36 installations.<p>If you have any specific questions feel free to ask as I yanked my entire HK system about 3 months ago so I have seen it all.<p>Regards,<br>Preston<br>98 M3/4<br>

J. Stewart
01-08-1999, 03:47 AM
<i>: <br>: Spkrs:<p>: F: 5.25" kicks, 4" and tweet in door<br>: R: 6x9<p>: Amp: 8 Channel active crossover for each channel, amp in trunk on left side.<p>: Changer and head unit made by alpine for BMW. Changer cannot be controlled by standard Alpine units.<p>: I can't figure out a useful place to put the changer in the cabin. Maybe the glove compartment but this would involve cutting which I wasn't interested in.<p>: Check out the ADS web site for ideas www.adst.com on E36 installations.<p>: If you have any specific questions feel free to ask as I yanked my entire HK system about 3 months ago so I have seen it all.<p>: Regards,<br>: Preston<br>: 98 M3/4<p></i><p>Thanks for the info -- I have an Alpine 3-disk in dash along with a big 6 channel amp sitting around from my previous car that I might use as a basis for a new system.. argh!!! Oh well!! :)<p>Once again, thanks for taking some time out!!<p>--joe<p>

Chris Totten
01-09-1999, 12:23 AM
I have recently finished a month long project on improving the sound from my 98 4dr M3 with HK. I am not in favor of removing the system as it has great high and voice purity. I also prefer a factory appearance. The solution is in the trunk of the convertible M3 - a sub woofer. I installed mine using the factory cover plate and painstakingly contoured mounting. The result is a factory appearance identical to the convertible and exceptional sound. I also replaced the 6x9 woofers with JBL 6x9s (HK is parent company of JBL). E-mail me if you're interested in the details. Chris 98M3<br>

Ran
01-09-1999, 01:59 PM
<i>: I have recently finished a month long project on improving the sound from my 98 4dr M3 with HK. I am not in favor of removing the system as it has great high and voice purity. I also prefer a factory appearance. The solution is in the trunk of the convertible M3 - a sub woofer. I installed mine using the factory cover plate and painstakingly contoured mounting. The result is a factory appearance identical to the convertible and exceptional sound. I also replaced the 6x9 woofers with JBL 6x9s (HK is parent company of JBL). E-mail me if you're interested in the details. Chris 98M3<p></i>

andy r.
01-09-1999, 10:50 PM
<i>: ...HK is parent company of JBL...<br></i><p>Vice-versa, actually. JBL also owns Infinity.<p>andy r.

JNL
01-10-1999, 12:39 PM
<i>: : ...HK is parent company of JBL...<p>: Vice-versa, actually. JBL also owns Infinity.<p>: andy r.<p></i><p>No, actually the parent company in Harmon International. They own Harmon Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Becker, Citation, as well as hi-end the audio companies Mark Levinson, Proceed, Revel, Lexicon, and more.

andy r.
01-12-1999, 04:17 PM
<i>: : : ...HK is parent company of JBL...<p>: : Vice-versa, actually. JBL also owns Infinity.<p>: : andy r.<p><br>: No, actually the parent company in Harmon International. They own Harmon Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Becker, Citation, as well as hi-end the audio companies Mark Levinson, Proceed, Revel, Lexicon, and more. <p></i><p>Oops, thanks for the correction.<p>andy r.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index