Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

NERVOUS
01-08-1999, 10:08 PM
IS IT NORMAL FOR THESE THINGS TO MAKE A LOT OF<br>ENGINE NOISE AT COLD START UP? IT DOES NOT SEEM<br>TO HAPEN IN THE SUMMER!

BillMac
01-08-1999, 10:34 PM
<i>: IS IT NORMAL FOR THESE THINGS TO MAKE A LOT OF<br>: ENGINE NOISE AT COLD START UP? IT DOES NOT SEEM<br>: TO HAPEN IN THE SUMMER!<p></i><p>I too have noticed some very alarming sounds coming from my M3 engine when it has sat for a week or more. This is my first winter with the M3. It sat in the garage for two weeks then when I cranked it over I thought I broke something. "Check Engine" light even came on and stayed lite all day. the next morning light was cleared ????<p>Even using Sythetic old which I thought stayed Viscous in the cold.<p>

jb
01-08-1999, 10:52 PM
<i>http://www.bmwmpower.com/ServBull/tsb11059.htm<br></i>

///Marwan
01-09-1999, 07:54 AM
I'm having the same problem with my '98 M3! it's very frustrating. It only happenes when i start my car when the engine is cold in the mornning. It's a scratching noise isn't it?<p><p>///Marwan

Nervous
01-09-1999, 08:46 PM
<i>: I'm having the same problem with my '98 M3! it's very frustrating. It only happenes when i start my car when the engine is cold in the mornning. It's a scratching noise isn't it?<p><br>: ///Marwan<br>I get a loud lifter tap for a few seconds.<br>After that goes away,the engine makes a faint<br>gargling almost diesel kind of sound until it<br>comes up to operarting temp. By this i mean<br>the temp guage reaches the half way mark.<br>When you say "scratching noise" are you refering<br>to vanos noise?<p><br>

Nervous
01-09-1999, 09:11 PM
<i>: http://www.bmwmpower.com/ServBull/tsb11059.htm<p></i>

///Marwan
01-10-1999, 07:08 AM
<i>>>When you say "scratching noise" are you refering<br>to vanos noise?<<<p>What is a Vanos noise? BTW, my M3 is a 97 not a 98. Sorry!<p><p>///Marwan<p></i>

Steve
01-11-1999, 01:23 PM
Make sure your oil is at-least a 5W weight such as BMW 5W 40 synthetic. If your car has low miles remember, most 98 BMWs have 15W 40 mineral oil in them from the factory so get to the dealer and have them put in the BMW 5W 40 synthetic.<p>Steve<br>98 E36 (in CT) put in BMW 5W 40 synthetic at 2000 miles back in October<p><br><i>: I'm having the same problem with my '98 M3! it's very frustrating. It only happenes when i start my car when the engine is cold in the mornning. It's a scratching noise isn't it?<p><br>: ///Marwan<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index