Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ashish Nedungadi
01-11-1999, 12:15 AM
Hello,<br>I realize this is a highly debated subject, but I have some<br>questions on size and brand of snow tires that're good on a<br>'98 M3. I also realize that many people have there own<br>personal likes and dislikes. I have read most of the <br>articles on this message board and conclude that the<br>Pirelli 210 (Asimetrico) and the Yokohama Guardex 600 are<br>what some people have on. How about size? Do you<br>recommend 17" tires or can I save some money and go with<br>16" ones? I would certainly appreciate any comments you<br>might have on this. Thanks for your input. Is your local<br>dealer the best place in terms of price or Tire Rack?<p>A few days ago I drove my M3 on my way back from work and<br>it was pretty frightening to say the least on my MXX3. I<br>don't want to repeat that experience. Do you recommend placing sand bags (please forgive the ignorance)in the trunk<br>to help this RWD car to fair better in snow/ice.<p>Thanking you in advance for your time and help. If you<br>send send me email in addition to replying to this forum,<br>I would greatly appreciat it. Thanks!<p>Ashish

Steve
01-11-1999, 09:59 AM
...look under Winter Tires section and check-out the BMW replica alloy wheels too. They're not expensive either. BTM I've got the Yokohama Guardex 600's on a 98 328 and they are great.<p>Steve<br>98 E36<p><i>: Hello,<br>: I realize this is a highly debated subject, but I have some<br>: questions on size and brand of snow tires that're good on a<br>: '98 M3. I also realize that many people have there own<br>: personal likes and dislikes. I have read most of the <br>: articles on this message board and conclude that the<br>: Pirelli 210 (Asimetrico) and the Yokohama Guardex 600 are<br>: what some people have on. How about size? Do you<br>: recommend 17" tires or can I save some money and go with<br>: 16" ones? I would certainly appreciate any comments you<br>: might have on this. Thanks for your input. Is your local<br>: dealer the best place in terms of price or Tire Rack?<p>: A few days ago I drove my M3 on my way back from work and<br>: it was pretty frightening to say the least on my MXX3. I<br>: don't want to repeat that experience. Do you recommend placing sand bags (please forgive the ignorance)in the trunk<br>: to help this RWD car to fair better in snow/ice.<p>: Thanking you in advance for your time and help. If you<br>: send send me email in addition to replying to this forum,<br>: I would greatly appreciat it. Thanks!<p>: Ashish<p></i>

Robert Brooks
01-11-1999, 05:08 PM
<i>: ...look under Winter Tires section and check-out the BMW replica alloy wheels too. They're not expensive either. BTM I've got the Yokohama Guardex 600's on a 98 328 and they are great.<i><p>Discount was out-of-stock on those wheels when I<br>called about 3 weeks ago, and didn't expect to<br>have more until spring. In fact, they didn't have<br>_any_ 16" solution for the E36 M3 available.<p>Tire Rack offered the Mille Miglia Spider and the<br>Borbet Type T (spacer required). They were out-of-stock on the Mille Miglia Glide II's which are also advertised to work.<p>Be cautioned that many 16" wheels that would appear to fit based on bolt pattern and offset won't clear the caliper.<p>I was fortunate to find that a set of Superior Eurosport's that a local shop had available in<br>their warehouse, fit. Their tire offering was the Toyo Observe. I'm pleased with this combination, and it ended up being quite a bit cheaper than the<br>Tire Rack, all factors considered. However, I don't have experience with other snow tires, so can't offer a comparison.<p>I'll compile a list of 16" fitments and post it,<br>if people send their contributions.

Peet
01-11-1999, 05:45 PM
Every snow tire I've seen is Q rated (<95 MPH) whereas the one that Tire Rack recommended to me - the Bridgestone Winter, is H rated (<135 MPH) anyhow, they are AWESOME in the snow and yesterday it was dry and I took them out on the highway. They feel not much different on the straights than the MXX3s, so I highly reccommend them. And as for replica wheels to put them on, TR had some that look like the M3 Lux wheels... pretty cool! Total cost was $1300 delivered. Pricy I know, but it's about a deductible and a few bux...<p>P.S. There are like 2 wheels that fit the M3 calipers in the 16" size... so be careful!<p><i>: Hello,<br>: I realize this is a highly debated subject, but I have some<br>: questions on size and brand of snow tires that're good on a<br>: '98 M3. I also realize that many people have there own<br>: personal likes and dislikes. I have read most of the <br>: articles on this message board and conclude that the<br>: Pirelli 210 (Asimetrico) and the Yokohama Guardex 600 are<br>: what some people have on. How about size? Do you<br>: recommend 17" tires or can I save some money and go with<br>: 16" ones? I would certainly appreciate any comments you<br>: might have on this. Thanks for your input. Is your local<br>: dealer the best place in terms of price or Tire Rack?<p>: A few days ago I drove my M3 on my way back from work and<br>: it was pretty frightening to say the least on my MXX3. I<br>: don't want to repeat that experience. Do you recommend placing sand bags (please forgive the ignorance)in the trunk<br>: to help this RWD car to fair better in snow/ice.<p>: Thanking you in advance for your time and help. If you<br>: send send me email in addition to replying to this forum,<br>: I would greatly appreciat it. Thanks!<p>: Ashish<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index