Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mtrea
08-31-1999, 01:40 PM
Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4

DaveU
08-31-1999, 01:51 PM
Send Larry Needs at ERT an email, he gave me a lot of great information. ERTCAR@aol.com<p>I don't have one yet, but it's on my wish list.<p>Dave<p>(Let's try to skip the brand war here, maybe just some good info for Mtrea...)<p><p><p><i>: Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p></i>

MR3
08-31-1999, 02:02 PM
<i>: Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p>ERT Pulley:<br>$350 + 1.5 hrs labor....make sure to get the new double pulley for your 98M3/4. I had problems with the earlier pulley throwing my A/C belt....this latest one has been on for 6 weeks and seems to have taking care of the belt issues....<br>Please keep in mind that you can't install the lightweight flywheel if you do the pulley. There has been some bandwidth about possible crankshaft failures do to running both pieces at the same time....<br>10-12 HP at the wheels...a great mod IMHO....<br>Also you will needd shorter crank pulley bolts the OEM bolts will hit the side of the oil pan if you install the double pulley. Ask ERT if they're supplying these in thew latest kits....<p>Good Luck!<br>Steve H.<p>98M3/4 Dakaar/Black; BMWCCA #164910 Boston Chapter<br>Sharked; ERT Pulley ; ECIS Cold Air Intake+Dewipped; BLS/ERK with a clutch stop; X Brace;<br>Schroth 3 Point Harnesses; Euro Rotors wirh Porterfield R4S pads; Forged Double Spokes with 225/45 Kumho's ; Fikse FM5 8.5's with 245/40KD's; V1; Redline everywhere!; Swapped Hats; <br>

dgm3
08-31-1999, 02:06 PM
I have an underdrive pulley from ERT. I've been very satisfied with the performance of it. However, I have thrown an AC belt, but it has since been fixed and it works great (knock on wood). I had ERT install my pulley and I would recommend you have someone who knows what they're doing. Must likely you'll need to shim the AC pulley out to prevent the belt from running off. ERT has also found a place to statically balance there pullies so this should also help. No flames please.<p>The most noticeable gain is in the RPM's and how it runs solid all the way through. It really flies through 'em. I recommend the pulley, but just make sure you don't throw an AC belt.<p>Dave<br>96 M3<p>: Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p>

dgm3
08-31-1999, 02:10 PM
<br>: I have an underdrive pulley from ERT. I've been very satisfied with the performance of it. However, I have thrown an AC belt, but it has since been fixed and it works great (knock on wood). I had ERT install my pulley and I would recommend you have someone who knows what they're doing. Must likely you'll need to shim the AC pulley out to prevent the belt from running off. ERT has also found a place to statically balance there pullies so this should also help. No flames please.<p>: The most noticeable gain is in the RPM's and how it runs solid all the way through. It really flies through 'em. I recommend the pulley, but just make sure you don't throw an AC belt.<p>: Dave<br>: 96 M3<p>: : Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p>

Bjorn
08-31-1999, 03:24 PM
I'd like to second Dave's suggestion.<br>ERT sent me very useful info when I asked, though it was Dale who responded to me. No waiting, prompt, detailed and courteous replies. I requested the same info from unorthodox racing but am still waiting weeks later.<br>What I learned from ERT.<br>under drive is a very modest 15%.<br>Gains are around 11-12 Hp 21-23 ft-lb<br>Voltage remains good. at idle it remains 12.6 to 13.5. Meaning that you can run all periferals at idle and still not any any worries.<p>Has anyone got similar info on the Unorthodox 4 pulley set?<p><i>: Send Larry Needs at ERT an email, he gave me a lot of great information. ERTCAR@aol.com<p>: I don't have one yet, but it's on my wish list.<p>: Dave<p>: (Let's try to skip the brand war here, maybe just some good info for Mtrea...)<p><p>: : Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p></i>

Bjorn
08-31-1999, 03:28 PM
Oh, BTW:<br>ERT confirmed the story that it is not a good idea to mix the pulley with the lightened fly wheel.<p><i>: I'd like to second Dave's suggestion.<br>: ERT sent me very useful info when I asked, though it was Dale who responded to me. No waiting, prompt, detailed and courteous replies. I requested the same info from unorthodox racing but am still waiting weeks later.<br>: What I learned from ERT.<br>: under drive is a very modest 15%.<br>: Gains are around 11-12 Hp 21-23 ft-lb<br>: Voltage remains good. at idle it remains 12.6 to 13.5. Meaning that you can run all periferals at idle and still not any any worries.<p>: Has anyone got similar info on the Unorthodox 4 pulley set?<p>: : Send Larry Needs at ERT an email, he gave me a lot of great information. ERTCAR@aol.com<p>: : I don't have one yet, but it's on my wish list.<p>: : Dave<p>: : (Let's try to skip the brand war here, maybe just some good info for Mtrea...)<p><br>: : : Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p></i>

john
08-31-1999, 03:42 PM
I am running the unorthodox set on my 98 M3 with absolutley no problems. I have put approx 5k miles and a two day driving school in canada on the car with out even a whisper. Unlike the ERT pulley this is an entire set. Both companies will tell you that each is better so don't even bother asking. I think the power is a little better with the unorthodox because when they replace all the pulleys they are lighter than stock. The exception to this is the water pump. The stock is plastic andis prone to cracking. The pulleys also look real cool. I got the blue ones. Pretty easy to install about 3hrs being careful on your back.<br>I paid $460 for the set. not too bad for 4 pulleys. <p>good luck <br>JOHN<p><i>: Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p></i>

Bjorn
08-31-1999, 04:07 PM
I have a question on the unorthodox.<br>Do you have dyno sheets or any info at all from them? I contacted them for info and have not recieved any after 2-3 e-mails.<br>Do you know:<br>What is the underdrive % on the various periferals?<br>What is the horsepower torque gain?<br>What is the voltage output at idle with no load?<br>What is the voltage output at idle with max load?<p><i>: I am running the unorthodox set on my 98 M3 with absolutley no problems. I have put approx 5k miles and a two day driving school in canada on the car with out even a whisper. Unlike the ERT pulley this is an entire set. Both companies will tell you that each is better so don't even bother asking. I think the power is a little better with the unorthodox because when they replace all the pulleys they are lighter than stock. The exception to this is the water pump. The stock is plastic andis prone to cracking. The pulleys also look real cool. I got the blue ones. Pretty easy to install about 3hrs being careful on your back.<br>: I paid $460 for the set. not too bad for 4 pulleys. <p>: good luck <br>: JOHN<p>: : Hey, folks - Has anyone installed an underdrive pulley(s) on their car? I here its a quick pick-up in power. Time? Money? Benefits? Thoughts? thanks. 98 M3/4<p></i>

Mtrea
08-31-1999, 04:07 PM
Thanks for feedback...<br>

Mtrea
08-31-1999, 05:34 PM
do you have contact info for them as well? Web-Site? thanks.

Bjorn
08-31-1999, 06:17 PM
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/bmwss.html<p>They haven't answered my e-mail yet. They seem a bit slow to do that.<p><i>: do you have contact info for them as well? Web-Site? thanks.<p></i>

Bjorn
08-31-1999, 06:21 PM
Unorthodox Racing, Inc.<br>45 D Nancy Street<br>West Babylon, NY 11704<br>Phone: 516-253-4909<br>Monday to Friday 10am-6pm EST<p><br>E-mail us: info@unorthodoxracing.com<br><i>: http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/bmwss.html<p>: They haven't answered my e-mail yet. They seem a bit slow to do that.<p>: : do you have contact info for them as well? Web-Site? thanks.<p></i>

Bjorn
09-01-1999, 04:10 AM
I just got e-mail from them, still lacking some of the info I was seeking. But to share what I learned:<p>We apologize for the delay in response, we have been doing some major updating on our site and with our software. The flywheel replaces the dual mass flywheel, noise is more noticable but not intrusive, we would need the ring gear from your <br>flywheel to put on the aluminum one we make, BMW ring gears are very difficult to come by. The underdriving is approximately 20-30% of the total gain from our pulley set, the weight loss, especially on the crankshaft itself, is 70-80% of <br>the total gain. Since we don't have to push the underdriving percentage to get the gains we don't run into some of the problems normally experienced from slowing the accessories to much. Voltage remains above 12V with every possible <br>electrical draw being operated at idle. The two products work fine together or seperately. <p>

Bjorn
09-01-1999, 12:33 PM
Approx. 20% underdrive, the gains have been variable from 13-18 HP. We have had<br>no problems with our flywheels and pulleys being used together, maybe everybody<br>else does not balance the components to the extent that they should.<p>Unorthodox Racing<p><i>: I just got e-mail from them, still lacking some of the info I was seeking. But to share what I learned:<p>: We apologize for the delay in response, we have been doing some major updating on our site and with our software. The flywheel replaces the dual mass flywheel, noise is more noticable but not intrusive, we would need the ring gear from your <br>: flywheel to put on the aluminum one we make, BMW ring gears are very difficult to come by. The underdriving is approximately 20-30% of the total gain from our pulley set, the weight loss, especially on the crankshaft itself, is 70-80% of <br>: the total gain. Since we don't have to push the underdriving percentage to get the gains we don't run into some of the problems normally experienced from slowing the accessories to much. Voltage remains above 12V with every possible <br>: electrical draw being operated at idle. The two products work fine together or seperately. <p></i>

Mark M.
09-01-1999, 03:50 PM
This is the sam B.S. the told me about my pulley set. At idle, my car was registering 12 volts on the dot, and not a single point over, with NO accessories on. When I put accessories on, I was able to get my car below 10 volts at idle. Needless to say, I'm never buying anything from Unorthodox ever again. For more of my story, check the archives. <p>: We apologize for the delay in response, we have been doing some major updating on our site and with our software. The flywheel replaces the dual mass flywheel, noise is more noticable but not intrusive, we would need the ring gear from your <br>: flywheel to put on the aluminum one we make, BMW ring gears are very difficult to come by. The underdriving is approximately 20-30% of the total gain from our pulley set, the weight loss, especially on the crankshaft itself, is 70-80% of <br>: the total gain. Since we don't have to push the underdriving percentage to get the gains we don't run into some of the problems normally experienced from slowing the accessories to much. Voltage remains above 12V with every possible <br>: electrical draw being operated at idle. The two products work fine together or seperately. <p>

Bjorn
09-01-1999, 11:04 PM
In the end I decided I was more comfortable with ERT's method as well. The unorthodox racing method under drives the main pully over 30% (I learned) and has seperate pulleys for many of the devices to correct this. A better solution would seem to be ERT's. Where the under drive percentage is more modest to begin with, but with enough to have a decent power gain.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index