Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kevin
05-01-2001, 11:24 AM
I have a '97 328is and the Check Engine light will not go off. I called the dealer about it and they said not to worry if the car was running well (which it is). I've re-set it a couple of times but it comes back on within a day. Anybody know how to fix this?<br>

KBERT
05-01-2001, 11:51 AM
Incredible that dealer would tell you to ignore it.... Sure it could be something incredibly minor, but if the light keeps coming on -- you don't have too many choices.<p><i><br>I have a '97 328is and the Check Engine light will not go off. I called the dealer about it and they said not to worry if the car was running well (which it is). I've re-set it a couple of times but it comes back on within a day. Anybody know how to fix this?<p></i><br>

M3 Repete
05-01-2001, 12:47 PM
you can buy a tool to read the diagnostic code the DME is detecting that sets off the check engine light.<p>or you could replace the oxygen sensor. a lot of the time, a bad oxygen sensor is the cause of the light staying lit.

Tim
05-01-2001, 02:50 PM
Can't you read the codes by flooring the gas pedal (with the ignition in the #2 position, not fully on) and holding it -- then counting the number of flashes of the C.E. light? I'm sure this is detailed better somewhere in the archives.<p><i><br>I have a '97 328is and the Check Engine light will not go off. I called the dealer about it and they said not to worry if the car was running well (which it is). I've re-set it a couple of times but it comes back on within a day. Anybody know how to fix this?<p></i><br>

Jim Bassett
05-01-2001, 02:56 PM
<i><br>Can't you read the codes by flooring the gas pedal (with the ignition in the #2 position, not fully on) and holding it -- then counting the number of flashes of the C.E. light? I'm sure this is detailed better somewhere in the archives.<p><br>I have a '97 328is and the Check Engine light will not go off. I called the dealer about it and they said not to worry if the car was running well (which it is). I've re-set it a couple of times but it comes back on within a day. Anybody know how to fix this?<p><br></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index