Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Performance mods on e34 M5

Ben
02-13-1999, 05:18 PM
<br>I was wondering what (if any) performance mods others have performed on their e34 M5. And people's opinions of the various products available... Also, has anyone confirmed HP gains on a dyno from the various products?<p>Chips) I have heard Jim C's are the best (and cheapest). What have people paid for these, and who did they buy it from? I know that Dinan is out there too. Anything else I should look at?<p>Mufflers) There are the various aftermarket options, the top contenders: Remus, Triflo, Stromung, and Dinan. There is even Christopher in BC, Canada who imported a '93 stock muffler for his '91 M5! So what's the scoop, and did anyone feel a power gain? Or should I stay stock...<p>What else have people done) Cams, filters, etc?<p>Thanks for any info! Hope to get a thread going on this subject!<p>- Ben<p>===<br>'91 M5

C ///M5
02-13-1999, 06:21 PM
<i>: <br>: I was wondering what (if any) performance mods others have performed on their e34 M5. And people's opinions of the various products available... Also, has anyone confirmed HP gains on a dyno from the various products?<p>: Chips) I have heard Jim C's are the best (and cheapest). What have people paid for these, and who did they buy it from? I know that Dinan is out there too. Anything else I should look at?<p>: Mufflers) There are the various aftermarket options, the top contenders: Remus, Triflo, Stromung, and Dinan. There is even Christopher in BC, Canada who imported a '93 stock muffler for his '91 M5! So what's the scoop, and did anyone feel a power gain? Or should I stay stock...<p>: What else have people done) Cams, filters, etc?<p>: Thanks for any info! Hope to get a thread going on this subject!<p>: - Ben<p>: ===<br>: '91 M5<p></i>Hi Ben<p>I have a Dinan chip and my exhaust is actually the full front to back exhaust from a 3.8L M5. My friend in Germany purchased it for me with 5000kms from BMW and he shipped it to me. It is a little louder and throatier. There are really not many modifications to do to the 3.6 without getting into serious $$$. There are hotter cams, Cam gear kits, exhausts, various chips etc etc> I am sure you know what is out there. I did notice a difference with the Dinan chip and driveability has improved. Dinan's own dyno results with the chip change claim 343hp. I myself have considered a stroker kit from either Korman or Dinan but they do not guarantee that I will pass emissions. This is a risk I am not willing to take. My next consideration is a Supercharger kit and I understand Osh from RMS has been thinking of the idea of putting together a kit for the E34 M5. I also spoke to Bonneville and they claim better driveability with the Jim. C and a $100 trade in credit which I am tempted to consider. I guess it depends on your pocket book. For me the chip, K&N, 3.8L exhaust, and keeping the M5 well tuned is a perfect compromise for daily driving and performance. I may install the Dinan Cam gear kit(352hp) but it is a tad expensive and the results seem negligible. Blueprinting, porting and polishing etc etc are some more hot-rod tricks as well as Ceramic exhaust coatings and possibly underdrive pullies. If you have a later model M5 with 3:73 gears, switching to the earlier model 3:91's may improve acceleration.

Rod...
02-14-1999, 05:18 AM
<i>: : <br>: : I was wondering what (if any) performance mods others have performed on their e34 M5. And people's opinions of the various products available... Also, has anyone confirmed HP gains on a dyno from the various products?<p>: : Chips) I have heard Jim C's are the best (and cheapest). What have people paid for these, and who did they buy it from? I know that Dinan is out there too. Anything else I should look at?<p>: : Mufflers) There are the various aftermarket options, the top contenders: Remus, Triflo, Stromung, and Dinan. There is even Christopher in BC, Canada who imported a '93 stock muffler for his '91 M5! So what's the scoop, and did anyone feel a power gain? Or should I stay stock...<p>: : What else have people done) Cams, filters, etc?<p>: : Thanks for any info! Hope to get a thread going on this subject!<p>: : - Ben<p>: : ===<br>: : '91 M5<p>: Hi Ben<p>: I have a Dinan chip and my exhaust is actually the full front to back exhaust from a 3.8L M5. My friend in Germany purchased it for me with 5000kms from BMW and he shipped it to me. It is a little louder and throatier. There are really not many modifications to do to the 3.6 without getting into serious $$$. There are hotter cams, Cam gear kits, exhausts, various chips etc etc> I am sure you know what is out there. I did notice a difference with the Dinan chip and driveability has improved. Dinan's own dyno results with the chip change claim 343hp. I myself have considered a stroker kit from either Korman or Dinan but they do not guarantee that I will pass emissions. This is a risk I am not willing to take. My next consideration is a Supercharger kit and I understand Osh from RMS has been thinking of the idea of putting together a kit for the E34 M5. I also spoke to Bonneville and they claim better driveability with the Jim. C and a $100 trade in credit which I am tempted to consider. I guess it depends on your pocket book. For me the chip, K&N, 3.8L exhaust, and keeping the M5 well tuned is a perfect compromise for daily driving and performance. I may install the Dinan Cam gear kit(352hp) but it is a tad expensive and the results seem negligible. Blueprinting, porting and polishing etc etc are some more hot-rod tricks as well as Ceramic exhaust coatings and possibly underdrive pullies. If you have a later model M5 with 3:73 gears, switching to the earlier model 3:91's may improve acceleration. <p>C///M5,<br>I am interested in your exhaust upgrade.<br>Did you install the cat and the mufflers to the tail pipe?<br>I have gone through the Euro E34 microfiche and the 3.8L setup is an upgrade from the header to the tail pipe. Header to tailpipe would cost a pretty penny.<br>Do you know if the Cam sprocket upgrade is the 3.8L sprockets?<br>The 3.8L sprockets only list(BMW) for $118 USD each. I would make the assumption that Dinan and others just select a BMW OE sprocket and sell it as their special upgrade part. I know the exhaust cam sprocket that is sold for the S36B35 engine is a stock part for the S14B23 EvoIII engine and can be purchased for $95 USD. <br>The US/Euro S38B36 & S38B38 cams are all the same.<br>I would love to get a hold of a complete 3.8L with a 6 speed to upgrade my 91,M5. Oh ya! Add the drive shaft and transmission crossmember to the list. The 3.8L has larger everything from the intake air horns through the rear muffler. I can't remember but I'm willing to even bet the MAF is larger.<br>I guess when I quit dreaming, I'll just have to settle for a 3.8L 90mm stroke crank, rods and pistons although a complete motor would be the way to go in order to get the larger head and intake components.<br>I have considered the Dinan 3.9L stroker. It is US50 State legal however they use a special 92mm stroke crank. Special parts scare me.<br>Regards,<br>Rod... <p><br></i>

R.J.F Woertman
02-14-1999, 11:51 AM
I seriously doubt that K&N filter will increase power and torque in an M5 engine. For first this has been discussed on this board in nov-1998 and dec-1998, so I will refer to these discussions for the advantages and disadvantages of these reusable filters. <p>Second, I have a lot of experience with K&N filters with cars in the 150hp-300hp range, (turbocharged and athmosferic engines). My personal experience is that a K&N or alike filter does not add any noticeble extra power.<p>A little bit extra horsepower and a little bit more torque in the mid rev. region can be expected for more normal cars like a VW VR6 or Honda VTEC engine, but I doubt that for an M5 since the BMW M department did their engineering so good on their products. <p>After my experiences with these filters in cars which I and my friends have possessed or still posses, I cannot justify spending that much money for a K&N filter (>US$60 in the Netherlands). <p>Besides these filters must be refitted far more frequent than K&N specify. To do this you need a special reoilling set of approximately US$50. If you don't refit the filter in time the filter will loose it's air cleaning capacity very rapidly with possible nasty effects for your<br>engine.<p>Finally I want to add that these are just my personal experiences and I fully concur with the statements made by Chris and Mr M5 on this board in the past.<p>Yours sincerelly,<p>Raymond<br>

Mark
02-15-1999, 12:01 AM
<i>: <br>: I was wondering what (if any) performance mods others have performed on their e34 M5. And people's opinions of the various products available... <br></i><p>I recently had the head gasket replaced ($$$) to repair a pesky oil leak. At the same time, I installed a Schrick 280 intake cam and an offset exhaust cam gear. The exhaust gear appeared to be identical to the one featured on the Korman web page which also describes other modifications for the S38 engine. (http://www.kormanfastbmw.com). Both of these goodies were thrown in by the guy who sold me the car. I have been very pleased with the results and highly recommend this modification if you need to open up the engine. The car seems to come "on cam" quicker, has significantly greater mid-range torque (2,000-4,000 rpm), and appears to have a little bit more at the top end. It may be my imagination, but I think the car has a slightly louder "rumble" at idle (which I love). <p><br>Mark <br>1991 M5

C ///M5
02-15-1999, 12:41 AM
<i>: : : <br>: : : I was wondering what (if any) performance mods others have performed on their e34 M5. And people's opinions of the various products available... Also, has anyone confirmed HP gains on a dyno from the various products?<p>: : : Chips) I have heard Jim C's are the best (and cheapest). What have people paid for these, and who did they buy it from? I know that Dinan is out there too. Anything else I should look at?<p>: : : Mufflers) There are the various aftermarket options, the top contenders: Remus, Triflo, Stromung, and Dinan. There is even Christopher in BC, Canada who imported a '93 stock muffler for his '91 M5! So what's the scoop, and did anyone feel a power gain? Or should I stay stock...<p>: : : What else have people done) Cams, filters, etc?<p>: : : Thanks for any info! Hope to get a thread going on this subject!<p>: : : - Ben<p>: : : ===<br>: : : '91 M5<p>: : Hi Ben<p>: : I have a Dinan chip and my exhaust is actually the full front to back exhaust from a 3.8L M5. My friend in Germany purchased it for me with 5000kms from BMW and he shipped it to me. It is a little louder and throatier. There are really not many modifications to do to the 3.6 without getting into serious $$$. There are hotter cams, Cam gear kits, exhausts, various chips etc etc> I am sure you know what is out there. I did notice a difference with the Dinan chip and driveability has improved. Dinan's own dyno results with the chip change claim 343hp. I myself have considered a stroker kit from either Korman or Dinan but they do not guarantee that I will pass emissions. This is a risk I am not willing to take. My next consideration is a Supercharger kit and I understand Osh from RMS has been thinking of the idea of putting together a kit for the E34 M5. I also spoke to Bonneville and they claim better driveability with the Jim. C and a $100 trade in credit which I am tempted to consider. I guess it depends on your pocket book. For me the chip, K&N, 3.8L exhaust, and keeping the M5 well tuned is a perfect compromise for daily driving and performance. I may install the Dinan Cam gear kit(352hp) but it is a tad expensive and the results seem negligible. Blueprinting, porting and polishing etc etc are some more hot-rod tricks as well as Ceramic exhaust coatings and possibly underdrive pullies. If you have a later model M5 with 3:73 gears, switching to the earlier model 3:91's may improve acceleration. <p>: C///M5,<br>: I am interested in your exhaust upgrade.<br>: Did you install the cat and the mufflers to the tail pipe?<br>: I have gone through the Euro E34 microfiche and the 3.8L setup is an upgrade from the header to the tail pipe. Header to tailpipe would cost a pretty penny.<br>: Do you know if the Cam sprocket upgrade is the 3.8L sprockets?<br>: The 3.8L sprockets only list(BMW) for $118 USD each. I would make the assumption that Dinan and others just select a BMW OE sprocket and sell it as their special upgrade part. I know the exhaust cam sprocket that is sold for the S36B35 engine is a stock part for the S14B23 EvoIII engine and can be purchased for $95 USD. <br>: The US/Euro S38B36 & S38B38 cams are all the same.<br>: I would love to get a hold of a complete 3.8L with a 6 speed to upgrade my 91,M5. Oh ya! Add the drive shaft and transmission crossmember to the list. The 3.8L has larger everything from the intake air horns through the rear muffler. I can't remember but I'm willing to even bet the MAF is larger.<br>: I guess when I quit dreaming, I'll just have to settle for a 3.8L 90mm stroke crank, rods and pistons although a complete motor would be the way to go in order to get the larger head and intake components.<br>: I have considered the Dinan 3.9L stroker. It is US50 State legal however they use a special 92mm stroke crank. Special parts scare me.<br>: Regards,<br>: Rod... <p><br></i>Hi Rod<p>The exhaust system is a complete unit, exhaust header to rear muffler and cats. It is a much nicer system then the 3.6L unit though i have heard about some cracking problems in the header although I have not experienced this. My 3.6L exhaust is packed away just in case. The cost of the 3.8L exhaust is unbelievably expensive so when my friend who is a parts person at a Munich dealership offered me the exhaust, it was a trade in unit from someone who upgraded with some aftermarket exhaust with DTM tips I could not pass it up. With regards to Cam sprockets I think your the expert in this field. I can mail my friend as he is always calling me and emailing me with new and used 3.6L & 3.8L items. Everything is inexpensive in relative terms, I paid 2800 DM including shipping which was about $1800 USD at that time in 1996 for the exhaust system.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index