Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : E34 M5 questions and surprise (long)

Scott Rich
03-01-1999, 12:17 AM
I am almost committed to finding myself an E34 M5, after having lusted after both the E28 and E34 models for some time. I have a couple questions which I haven't seen addressed, but first an interesting fact. According to the NHTSA Vehicle Eligibility List, all BMW 5-series from 1990-1995 are eligible for importation "based on<br>a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists." You can see the list at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig9901.htm.<br>Wouldn't this mean that one could import a 1993 3.8 6-speed model from Germany? Any ideas on what that would cost? The theory is that the EPA work for a '93 shouldn't be too bad.<p>Now the questions:<br>Are there any known transmission problems? I haven't seen any mentioned lately, but I was scared away from the M5 a few years ago when a friend of mine had to shell out for a new transmission at like 40K. The cause had something to do with the design of first gear, the replacement transmission was slightly different.<p>What colors were M5's sold in? I've only seen black, white, silver, red, and one advertised as "Avus blue". I've seen another blue one from the UK on the //M5 Registry. That is BEAUTIFUL!!! <p>Thanks for the various pointers and information on the board, it's been very helpful. Hopefully before too long I'll have something firsthand to contribute. ;-)<p>Scott Rich<br>Raleigh, NC<br>[email protected]<p>ps - I noticed a couple contributors were in the San Jose area. Anyone wanna give me a demo ride? I'll be out there next week.

Bruce
03-01-1999, 12:50 AM
<i>: I am almost committed to finding myself an E34 M5, after having lusted after both the E28 and E34 models for some time. I have a couple questions which I haven't seen addressed, but first an interesting fact. According to the NHTSA Vehicle Eligibility List, all BMW 5-series from 1990-1995 are eligible for importation "based on<br>: a petition from a manufacturer or registered importer which establishes that a substantially similar U.S.-certified vehicle exists." You can see the list at: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/elig9901.htm.<br>: Wouldn't this mean that one could import a 1993 3.8 6-speed model from Germany? Any ideas on what that would cost? The theory is that the EPA work for a '93 shouldn't be too bad.</i><p>I met a guy at M day from Florida that said the car he had there was his 2nd 3.8 and he had another coming and that one there was being sold.<p><i>: What colors were M5's sold in? I've only seen black, white, silver, red, and one advertised as "Avus blue". I've seen another blue one from the UK on the //M5 Registry. That is BEAUTIFUL!!! <br></i><p>i believe i heard at M day there are one 2 Avus Blue M5s in the US<p>Bruce<br>

Ian T
03-02-1999, 04:48 PM
<br><i>: What colors were M5's sold in? I've only seen black, white, silver, red, and one advertised as "Avus blue". I've seen another blue one from the UK on the //M5 Registry. That is BEAUTIFUL!!! <p>If you're referring to mine (the one parked in a grotty British Gas car park in the wet) then that's what Avus Blue looks like. I think it was a new colour brought in with the 3.8 in the UK. Don't know about anywhere else though.<p>Ian.

John Robinson
03-03-1999, 09:40 PM
<i>: <p>: What colors were M5's sold in? I've only seen black, white, silver, red, and one advertised as "Avus blue". I've seen another blue one from the UK on the //M5 Registry. That is BEAUTIFUL!!! <p>: Scott Rich<br>: Raleigh, NC<br>: [email protected]<p>: ps - I noticed a couple contributors were in the San Jose area. Anyone wanna give me a demo ride? I'll be out there next week.<p></i><p>Hi Scott,<p>That car is Ian Thorntons, and it is a very beautiful car. The other nice blue (IMO) in M5's is Mauritus Blue, which is darker and brighter than Avus Blue. Also, There is a Macau Blue (this is the color of mine, which you can also see at the ///M5 Registry), which is more like a very dark purple.<p>Regards<p>John

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index