Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jr
03-21-2000, 07:03 PM
<br> Hi guys,<br> I was intrested in purchasing a set of Dunlop SP 5000 in comparison to the Michelins High Performance Pilots in the standard size of 225-60-15. I'm holding out for the jury, the cost difference is almost $200 and the comparisons for the two are so close, well it makes one wonder if there is a difference?? After touring the Dunlop mfg.plant I wondered if you had any insight on the comparison. Thanks for your help. <br>Jr '89 535 (stock-only)

Eddie@Tirerack.com
03-21-2000, 07:25 PM
Thanks for asking! It was great- they treated us like royalty. Heh heh. <p>Seriously, really very informative. We toured the plant where the SP5000 is built, from raw material to completion. We learned that the JLB technology & construction really are not gimmicks, and saw the testing that they put random samples of the tires thru as quality control. They are dedicated to building good product.<p>At the test track, we tested the SP5000 ve Michelins Pilot XGTZ4 in the wet, and also personally met the engineer who developed the SP500 for the US market (great guy!).<p>On the wet test track the SPs had a nice confidence inspiring tire at its limit in cornering, acceleration & in steering response. Not just in wet, but also in standing water as well. Definitely produced faster overall lap times in wet traction. It just further reinforces how good the SP5000s are. Our testing we have done previously in the dry handling, and also our snow drive has proven it to be pretty much the top in its class as an ultra high performance all-season tire.<p>Hope this helps. As always, just call with any questions, or if you need them!<p><b>Eddie<br>800.428.8355, ext 369</b><p><br><i>: <br>: Hi guys,<br>: I was intrested in purchasing a set of Dunlop SP 5000 in comparison to the Michelins High Performance Pilots in the standard size of 225-60-15. I'm holding out for the jury, the cost difference is almost $200 and the comparisons for the two are so close, well it makes one wonder if there is a difference?? After touring the Dunlop mfg.plant I wondered if you had any insight on the comparison. Thanks for your help. <br>: Jr '89 535 (stock-only)<p></i>

Jr
03-21-2000, 09:24 PM
<i>: Thanks for asking! It was great- they treated us like royalty. Heh heh. <p>: Seriously, really very informative. We toured the plant where the SP5000 is built, from raw material to completion. We learned that the JLB technology & construction really are not gimmicks, and saw the testing that they put random samples of the tires thru as quality control. They are dedicated to building good product.<p>: At the test track, we tested the SP5000 ve Michelins Pilot XGTZ4 in the wet, and also personally met the engineer who developed the SP500 for the US market (great guy!).<p>: On the wet test track the SPs had a nice confidence inspiring tire at its limit in cornering, acceleration & in steering response. Not just in wet, but also in standing water as well. Definitely produced faster overall lap times in wet traction. It just further reinforces how good the SP5000s are. Our testing we have done previously in the dry handling, and also our snow drive has proven it to be pretty much the top in its class as an ultra high performance all-season tire.<p>: Hope this helps. As always, just call with any questions, or if you need them!<p>: <b>Eddie<br>: 800.428.8355, ext 369</b><p>: <br>: : <br>: : Hi guys,<br>: : I was intrested in purchasing a set of Dunlop SP 5000 in comparison to the Michelins High Performance Pilots in the standard size of 225-60-15. I'm holding out for the jury, the cost difference is almost $200 and the comparisons for the two are so close, well it makes one wonder if there is a difference?? After touring the Dunlop mfg.plant I wondered if you had any insight on the comparison. Thanks for your help. <br>: : Jr '89 535 (stock-only)<p></i>

Aaron@Tirerack.com
03-22-2000, 08:24 AM
Everything Eddie said was exactly how it went. The test track was lined with sprinklers that were running the whole time, and mother nature helped us out with heavy rain as well. The Sp 5000's allowed us to drive at about 9/10'th's, as compared to the Pilot XGt's that forced us to slow down or run into the weeds. Much fun was had by all, and everyone at Dunlop was truly great to us. Hats off to them!<br>Aaron x395

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index