Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

byron
03-17-1998, 04:49 PM
Okay, I was thinking has anybody on the board been in a car when the airbag deploys? whats it like? can you even see it? how hard does it hit you? I've seen films and am aware of kids and other little people getting flattened etc. but does anybody have first-hand experience?<br>Byron

mike
03-17-1998, 06:51 PM
<i>: Okay, I was thinking has anybody on the board been in a car when the airbag deploys? whats it like? can you even see it? how hard does it hit you? I've seen films and am aware of kids and other little people getting flattened etc. but does anybody have first-hand experience?<br>: Byron<p></i>The airbag explodes like a gun going off. There is a very loud band, like a gun, and smoke caused by the talc-like powder that the bag is packed in. Its violent and very quick. People can get abrasions from the expanding bag similar to rug burns, and can get black eyes, bruised noses, etc. Bag deployment is supposed to be a last resort in a frontal collision. The seat belt does the majority of the work, and pretensioning belts like on our Z3s help.

Michael W
03-17-1998, 07:18 PM
<i>: Okay, I was thinking has anybody on the board been in a car when the airbag deploys? whats it like? can you even see it? how hard does it hit you? I've seen films and am aware of kids and other little people getting flattened etc. but does anybody have first-hand experience?<br>: Byron<p></i><br>In August of 1996 I unfortunately was in a car accident...fortunately I was in a BMW M3. We were going 70-75mph on the highway when the car hydrplaned over a puddle right as we were in the middle lane. The car spun out twice then hit the cement wall offset on the driver's side..then the side hit..then it kept spinning and we were on the grass to the right of the highway. Amazingly all the other cars behind were able to brake and nobody else hit us. I was in the front passenger seat, and yes the airbags did come out. I remember hearing a loud noise, but its also because we're decelerating from 70mph to 0 in about 0.25 seconds. The car filled up with a white gas that smelled like chalk, then dissipated as we stopped. It happened in a flash so its not like your brain can think of "oh the airbag is on now..now its deflating".. the airbags did just barely touch us..I had a slight nick on my lip but otherwise was fine. We both opened the doors (openable still) and walked out with no problems. So much safety! :)<p>MW<br>98 2.8, blk/blk/blk<br>

LGuevara
03-17-1998, 07:21 PM
<i>: : Okay, I was thinking has anybody on the board been in a car when the airbag deploys? whats it like? can you even see it? how hard does it hit you? I've seen films and am aware of kids and other little people getting flattened etc. but does anybody have first-hand experience?<br>: : Byron<p>: <br>: In August of 1996 I unfortunately was in a car accident...fortunately I was in a BMW M3. We were going 70-75mph on the highway when the car hydrplaned over a puddle right as we were in the middle lane. The car spun out twice then hit the cement wall offset on the driver's side..then the side hit..then it kept spinning and we were on the grass to the right of the highway. Amazingly all the other cars behind were able to brake and nobody else hit us. I was in the front passenger seat, and yes the airbags did come out. I remember hearing a loud noise, but its also because we're decelerating from 70mph to 0 in about 0.25 seconds. The car filled up with a white gas that smelled like chalk, then dissipated as we stopped. It happened in a flash so its not like your brain can think of "oh the airbag is on now..now its deflating".. the airbags did just barely touch us..I had a slight nick on my lip but otherwise was fine. We both opened the doors (openable still) and walked out with no problems. So much safety! :)<p>: MW<br>: 98 2.8, blk/blk/blk<p></i>

Michael W
03-17-1998, 07:47 PM
<i>: : : Okay, I was thinking has anybody on the board been in a car when the airbag deploys? whats it like? can you even see it? how hard does it hit you? I've seen films and am aware of kids and other little people getting flattened etc. but does anybody have first-hand experience?<br>: : : Byron<p>: : <br>: : In August of 1996 I unfortunately was in a car accident...fortunately I was in a BMW M3. We were going 70-75mph on the highway when the car hydrplaned over a puddle right as we were in the middle lane. The car spun out twice then hit the cement wall offset on the driver's side..then the side hit..then it kept spinning and we were on the grass to the right of the highway. Amazingly all the other cars behind were able to brake and nobody else hit us. I was in the front passenger seat, and yes the airbags did come out. I remember hearing a loud noise, but its also because we're decelerating from 70mph to 0 in about 0.25 seconds. The car filled up with a white gas that smelled like chalk, then dissipated as we stopped. It happened in a flash so its not like your brain can think of "oh the airbag is on now..now its deflating".. the airbags did just barely touch us..I had a slight nick on my lip but otherwise was fine. We both opened the doors (openable still) and walked out with no problems. So much safety! :)<p>: : MW<br>: : 98 2.8, blk/blk/blk<p></i>

Bruce
03-17-1998, 08:10 PM
i have heard that BMW purposely designs the driver and passenger airbag to go off a different times (the drivers first then the passenger's a split second later)...this is due to the auditory assault of the exploding airbags (2 shot gun blasts at different times is better than 2 at the same time, or so i hear that is BMWs logic)<p>just what i have heard, may or may not be true<p>Bruce<br>

Victor Hugo
03-17-1998, 09:47 PM
<i>: Okay, I was thinking has anybody on the board been in a car when the airbag deploys? whats it like? can you even see it? how hard does it hit you? I've seen films and am aware of kids and other little people getting flattened etc. but does anybody have first-hand experience?<br>: Byron<p></i><br>In 1992 I had an accident in my 91 Mitsubishi 3000VR4 and the air bag deployed as described with a loud bag. The material can be described as rougher than what is used on the seatbelts and it did scratch my face a little bit (nothing serious and nothing compared to what would have happened to my face). It deflates in an instant (you hardly notice the bag inflated). A cloud of powder flies around the cabin for a while (you could think it is smoke from electrical fire) and it is difficult to breathe.<br>I don't know if newer airbags are a little gentler.<br>Hope this helps.<p>98 Z3 2.8 Silver/Black/Black

noah
03-17-1998, 10:23 PM
<i>: i have heard that BMW purposely designs the driver and passenger airbag to go off a different times (the drivers first then the passenger's a split second later)...this is due to the auditory assault of the exploding airbags (2 shot gun blasts at different times is better than 2 at the same time, or so i hear that is BMWs logic)<p>: just what i have heard, may or may not be true<p>: Bruce<p></i><p>If it is true, about a time interval I think it would have more to do with the rapid increase in the cabin pressure - which can cause ear damage.<p>

Bruce
03-18-1998, 12:36 AM
<i>: <br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index